SCATT Trainer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nine major

SCATT Trainer

Post by Nine major »

I am sixty nine years old and I am trying to determine what can help me shoot better. I have only 8 yards of distance to practice in so I need to use a reduced target. I have been shooting an air gun for a couple of years. I am expert bullseye shooter, but I can't seem to do as well with my air gun.

I am wondering if I would receive benefits from using a SCATT trainer. If there is anyone out there with experience with the SCATT trainer I would truly appreciate your input.

What specific information would I receive from the SCATT that will help me train better?
What experiences have you had and what benefits have you received?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Jim Smith
Gwhite

Re: SCATT Trainer

Post by Gwhite »

I have a Noptel, which provides similar info.

Electronic training systems can provide a lot of insight into the details of each shot. How long you hold, how steady your hold is, whether you are anticipating or jerking the trigger, etc. All of this takes a bit of study & interpretation of the traces. It's not going to fix anything, only provide clues on what you are doing that may not be apparent without one. Correcting your shot process to eliminate problems is still up to you.

The real value for me is not for air pistol, which I can shoot at 10m at home. The big payoff is that it allows me to practice disciplines I can't shoot at home. I've used it for free pistol and 200 yard offhand centerfire rifle competition with considerable success. The added insight & practice time is great, and it makes dry firing a LOT more fun & interesting.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Yes it's a great tool for air pistol, check out these threads

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50910

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50054

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

There are many companies producing "LASER" pistols and target modules, coming ahead of Rio Olympic, for pentathlon training.

Many of those systems would make dry fire much more interesting. Good systems to invest for home training.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The laser systems do make dry fire more interesting, but they don't provide all the info of a true trainer. If you want to get better at air pistol, and you can set up any sort of home range, you might as well just shoot air pistol.

One of the big advantages of dry fire with any pistol is that it allows you to focus on the PROCESS, and not the outcome. Even with an electronic trainer, it's very easy to forget about refining your shot process and just go back to thinking about scores.
BEA

Post by BEA »

Are you shooting scopes on your bullseye guns?
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

I'm the only competitive air pistol shooter (along with my wife) at my club where most are "fun" shooters. We have no access to a coach but I do receive valued help from a coach via email and by reading everything on this site. I want to and am determined to do better as it keeps me going forwards away from the pressures of work.
I beat myself up a lot for a long time about buying a scatt but I finally relented as I was investing so much time and effort into all other areas and though well why not! You do need to get your head round the relationship of all the data and how that is affected by what you are doing. There must be someone out there that could short circuit this and write a book on it, I'm sure it would sell. Above all I value the feedback of the traces during dry firing and it has changed the way I think about the process of putting that little blob of lead through the card.
It is quirky and hates uv light from the windows so I train when it is dark (I've the usb version) and it sometimes fails to register a shot but I love it and it makes dry firing so much more productive and the scaled targets you can print off will be fine for the distance you have, I practice at 6m and use a target scaled to that size.

I would not want to be without it now, and you can live fire with it too (air), go on buy yourself a prezzy for Xmas.

Hope this is of some use.
Nine major

Post by Nine major »

Yes I shoot with a Pardini with a red dot.
Nine major

Post by Nine major »

Third wheel did your scores improve
Thank jim
BEA

Post by BEA »

First and foremost, if you want a Scatt Trainer, purchase one. If it is something you will enjoy using, then it really makes little difference if your scores improve. The main thing is just to have fun. Keep in mind too that shooting air pistol is extremely demanding on the eyes and hold. I am 61 and have been dragged kicking and screaming over to using scopes in nra bullseye. The open sight skills that I once took for granted are just not there to the same degree any longer. The main goal is to have fun and continue enjoying pulling the trigger. A good attitude is certain to add a few points to your score. Good shooting.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Did my scores improve?

Yes they did but I was not working to get better scores but to improve my technique, the better scores are a product of the work put in to analyse and work at doing things better and being consistent. This attitude works and is the method my kind email mentor has said time and time again and finally it goes home. I have switched off the bit in my head that says "what score was that" and turned on the bit that says "front sight hold, it's gone, hold, lower" What the scatt allows me to do is look at consistency, I know what I did on each shot and the scatt allows me to see the outcome no matter how lucky I hope I was!
Sadly and I cannot believe it but it has happened but I'm in your age ball park too, yup eyes have aged but I've been to a shooting optician and got the right shooting lens (more advice from my email mentor) for me and my pistol and the difference is day to night. Shooting is a precision sport and that sport is open to a very wide age range and the older you get the harder you have to work at it BUT hell I did not get this far without learning something and that is determination works above all else. I've found something that gets me away albeit for a short time a day from the strains of a stressful job to do something I can compete in and be competitive within my allotted league. I'm determined to go up the leagues and the scatt is one of the things that is in my precision armoury.
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

I cracked and bought a SCATT. I am not an expert at interpreting the traces but simply try to 'shoot the furball' as it traces where you are holding and I want to place the shot where I am aiming. If the line zips off as you press the trigger something is going wrong (and it will give you the x,y coordinates to give you a clue). Another advantage is I can practice with all my pistols AP, FP etc through 45 as they are all a bit different. I also use the tone hold feature sometimes (skwarks when you are on the 10/9 - or however you set it up).

The SCATT target seems to be set up for airpistol (ie the centre is a void) and my next step is to combine live AP practice in the basement with the SCATT target frame and the pellet catcher behind it in combination with my camera system (I use a GoPro wireless camera to my ipad to see my shots - it works really well). Could be information overload - we will see but I should be able to adjust the SCATT shot placement to where the pellet actually went. (I use a wireless sensor and you can mount it under the barrel instead of barrel plugs).

-16C (2F) and snowy with windchill adding extra misery..... great incentive to hit the basement range.....
Zipp0

Post by Zipp0 »

Quick update.

I shot with the SCATT target frame at 10m with an airpistol target / gopro cam and pellet catcher behind. One I shifted the projected impact to the actual, it was right on.

Pretty neat actually and worth the messing around