Advice on scope for silhouettes pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ShSpLady

Advice on scope for silhouettes pistol

Post by ShSpLady »

Hi - I've been a 4-H Shooting coach for 6 years but this is my first with air pistol. Have a Senior Division kid competing. Went to Nationals in .22 pistol but wants to go in air pistol. We have a Crosman 1701P for silhouette event (NRA Grant). Rules will allow red dot or scope (can't project spot on target). Any advice on what we should use would be appreciated. BTW we have a Baikal IZH 46M for slow fire and are looking at possibly FWB P58 or Steyr LP50 for rapid fire. Really good kid - I want to get him set up right. Thanks!
paw080

Re: Advice on scope for silhouettes pistol

Post by paw080 »

Hi, why don't you see how the kid does with open sights. They do have a class for open sights don't they?

A scope is not necessary to knock down any silhouette target at such close distances.

Tony
Rover

Post by Rover »

True. I had good success with iron sights.

Otherwise...Red Dot. I've had good results with very cheap airgun BSA sights.
ShSpLady

Post by ShSpLady »

Good ideas. We have a cheap red dot and a scope. We'll have him try all ways then let him decide. After all, he needs to be pro-active in this. Thanks. Then if he wants red dot or scope we'll buy quality for the distances.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess you didn't read what I said.
Dan Ide

Post by Dan Ide »

Most of our Wednesday silhouette air pistol bunch use all types of red dots and all types of airguns, from 747s to Styer LP50s. I use iron sights and shoot one handed. Yes I give up a couple of targets but it is good practice for 10 meter work. The red dots range from Tru-Glows to Ultra Dots. All seem to work very well
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

Also check the "new and improved" rapid fire format before deciding on a pistol for that event (4H National Invitational).
ShSpLady

Post by ShSpLady »

Sorry Rover - I see your point. What we need isn't necessarily the most expensive. I'll look into that BSA. Banduro60 - thanks for that heads-up on the rapid fire. Coaches in the past weren't happy about being held to CO2 cartridge pistols. New rule changes everything. Haven't bought pistol yet. Am looking at LP50 or FWB P58. Reading everyone's opinions on those 2 pistols is what got me on this site.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You are sure looking at some spendy stuff for use by a kid.

I know I'm cheap, but what you're contemplating won't confer any advantage. Save some bucks and pick up a tired CO2 gun. Or, since you have it, use the IZH. You have to chop the grips anyway to use the "taco hold". It would certainly be more than adequate. For the rapid fire, I have no advice, except to say it has been a failure in other forms of AP sports.
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

I'll go with Rover on this one ---- I went with the Montana team in '09 (check results for that year if they're still up) and the kids used the IZH with an Ultradot for Silhouette. The sights are still visible over the rail with the scope removed, you do need to use removable rings, not the ones that came with the Ultradot. Other red dots might come with removables
but the ultradot supplied ones are split vertically and alignment is lost when they are taken off. With the new rapid fire rules there is plenty of time to reload the single shot, and the kids could benefit from using the same pistol for all three events (they can get REALLY familiar with the gun!) And it fits the box with the scope off.

bandur60
ShSpLady

Post by ShSpLady »

Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions. I have also talked to a couple of other air pistol coaches. So what we're going to do is set the Crossman aside and use the IZH with scope for silhouettes. We are also getting a PCP pistol, probably Steyr for slow fire and timed rapid fire. Yes I know it's pricey but this is an 18 year old who has competed at Nationals in .22 pistol and wants to compete again but in air pistol. I am afraid if we get him a cheap CO2 pistol he will be completely outclassed once he gets to Nationals. Also the IZH is heavy for 40 shots slow, 40 shot rapid and then silhouettes. Look on the bright side - I can always sell the Steyr used and get back almost all what I paid. Very popular gun. Then again - sure looks like a great pistol to own.