4.5gr, .177, lead free

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Keeley

4.5gr, .177, lead free

Post by Keeley »

Has anyone shot any of the 4.5gr(I think) .177 lead free (I think) pellets? I just bought a Baikal that chrono's about 430fps at 10 ft with a 7gr H&N pellet. I'm wondering about the lighter 4.5gr pellets. They appear to be a two part pellet with maybe a nylon/plastic skirt and some sort of metallic wadcutter nose. How accurate/fast might they be?

I'd be interested in hearing any feedback.

Thanks T
Rover

Re: 4.5gr, .177, lead free

Post by Rover »

Don't bother with any of that crap. Just shoot RWS Basic pellets.

How's that for feedback?
william

Post by william »

Rover, why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think?
paw080

Post by paw080 »

william wrote:Rover, why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think?

Well, I'm jumping onto Rover's reply. Yes T, just buy and shoot RWS Basic pellets. They will group

into the inner ten ring and are darned near the cheapest quality pellets you can buy. Also, horrifying

as it may seem, they will also group into the outer ten ring when shot from my Marksman2004!

Tony
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Is your Baikal a 46 or 46M? If it's a 46M and going about 430fps at 10 ft with a 7gr H&N pellet, you'll need to check the breech seal(s) and possibly the piston seal as well.

I would not recommend lead free pellets because they are more expensive and not as accurate as lead pellets.

The RWS Basics and H&N Excite Econ pellets are very accurate in my Izzy.
NosfyBe

Post by NosfyBe »

Don't let anybody tell you what kind of pellets (or other ammo) you need to use!
Test the ammo in your pistol and take what you like the most ($ or Euro). And maybe you are not going to shoot better with the 'perfect ammo', but in your head it will play a role.
For example: Everybody in my club shoots H&N Final Match. My Steyr LP10 groups best with H&N Sport and it's even half the price of the Final Match.

So if you want an opinion about new ammo -> test it. And of course listening to other people experiences can help... But not "Use this ammo"

Regards,
Pieter
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the OP, but some local ranges where they hold AP and AR matches are "green" no-lead pellet only facilities. I don't use those ranges because I have unrestricted options closer to home, but depending on where one lives, one may have to shoot lead free to compete.
j-team

Post by j-team »

holmqer wrote: ..., but depending on where one lives, one may have to shoot lead free to compete.
But that would be caving in to the idiots who imposed the stupid rule in the first place, and only encouraging them to go further.

I would not shoot (or live) there if it was me.
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

j-team wrote:
holmqer wrote: ..., but depending on where one lives, one may have to shoot lead free to compete.
But that would be caving in to the idiots who imposed the stupid rule in the first place, and only encouraging them to go further.

I would not shoot (or live) there if it was me.
Unfortunately, like the borg, the creeping nanny state will assimilate us all. This range I described is in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, but I could see this happening in California and Europe.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

holmqer wrote:Unfortunately, like the borg, the creeping nanny state will assimilate us all. This range I described is in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, but I could see this happening in California and Europe.
Which range is that? I live in Mass, and want to start competing again, but will want to avoid that range.

Fortunately, my club hosts matches, and lead is fine.
william

Post by william »

"Unfortunately, like the borg, the creeping nanny state will assimilate us all. This range I described is in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, but I could see this happening in California and Europe."

I think you're overdue to come out of the cellar into the sunshine & fresh air and maybe take up archery. If you time it right you can go unobserved by the black helicopters.
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

Gwhite wrote:
holmqer wrote:Unfortunately, like the borg, the creeping nanny state will assimilate us all. This range I described is in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, but I could see this happening in California and Europe.
Which range is that? I live in Mass, and want to start competing again, but will want to avoid that range.

New England Airgun in Hudson
Rover

Post by Rover »

Perhaps you can give us the name(s) of those responsible so we can publicly mock them on this and other shooting sites.
william

Post by william »

holmqer wrote:
Gwhite wrote:

New England Airgun in Hudson
OK, now, step back off the ledge. I looked at New England Airgun's web page. They are a private business, fer crine out loud! I can't believe anybody here would want to dictate to a private (got it - private?) business how to conduct their legal affairs.

Whoever got the vapors about "nanny state," you really need to take a deep breath and look at the totally unconnected dots you just connected. If you don't like how somebody does business, shut your mouth and stay away. It's that simple. Or do you think there's some legal / moral issue in wanting to offer paying (you know: exercising free choice) customers an environment free of lead hazard?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

holmqer wrote:New England Airgun in Hudson
Interesting. Never heard of them, but then I don't get out that way much.

They say they have a store. Do they sell much in the way of high end stuff, or is it mostly Crosman's & Daisy's?
Keeley

Post by Keeley »

Thanks for the feedback. Seems as though, even with all the static in the air, only 1 shooter has tried them. As far as the chrono results, I shot over the same machine at the same time as a fellow shooter who was shooting his NEW 46M for the first time. Velocity was pretty near the same so they must have shipped his with questionable seals??

I have been shooting the H&N pistol pellets that came with the gun right handed. Being left handed I expect better results when my LH grips get here.

Again, thanks for the comments. I'll sort'm out

T
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

My buddy shoots a 46M. I shoot a 46 (no M). I only got about a 30fps difference between the two with my buddy shooting R10s and me shooting RWS Basics. FWIW I get 436fps with a SD of 2.4 and I've never had a shot that I could blame on bad ammo.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You'll no doubt glean what you want to know from this (these):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44016&hilit=alloy+pellets
holmqer

Post by holmqer »

OK, now, step back off the ledge. I looked at New England Airgun's web page. They are a private business, fer crine out loud! I can't believe anybody here would want to dictate to a private (got it - private?) business how to conduct their legal affairs.

Whoever got the vapors about "nanny state," you really need to take a deep breath and look at the totally unconnected dots you just connected. If you don't like how somebody does business, shut your mouth and stay away. It's that simple. Or do you think there's some legal / moral issue in wanting to offer paying (you know: exercising free choice) customers an environment free of lead hazard?[/quote]

I think you are missing my point

Increasing regulation has probably left this guy no choice, he has been in operation around one year and with the skyrocketing costs of lead abatement and increasingly aggressive regulation, he could probably not get a lease, insurance or town approval without this rule.

I suspect that new indoor ranges are going to be very tough to start with no property owner eager to take the risk of a big dollar lead abatement.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Keeley wrote:I shot over the same machine at the same time as a fellow shooter who was shooting his NEW 46M for the first time. Velocity was pretty near the same so they must have shipped his with questionable seals??T
A new SSP needs a break in period for the seals to achieve optimum velocity. Check the two breech seals to see if they are in good condition and when you're not using the pistol, maintain the breech unlatched. Sometimes the pistol may come with factory grease in the compression chamber and that will also affect velocity as well.