6br 300m & NRA Midrange Anschutz Precise

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Thedrifter

6br 300m & NRA Midrange Anschutz Precise

Post by Thedrifter »

Thought this would be a fitting place to share this build i am having completed, current status as of September 1, 2015 the project is safely in the hands of my gunsmith. this post is in regards to this one here: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... lit=6mm+br

This build is fairly unique and includes parts from:

BAT Machine Co. 3L Rifle Action with Anschutz 5018 Trigger
Anschutz 7020 Sight Set
Bartline 6mm rifle barrel
Modified Anschutz Precise Bloop Tube
Anschutz Precise Rifle Stock & But Plate assembly

Action

Bolt

Rifle packed up for shipping.

Bloop Tube Before

Bloop Tube Modified clamp & Larger 5mm x .8 (4mm head) Screws

The bloop tube still needs a few tweaks but that is for the gun smith.
Abi

Re: 6br 300m & NRA Midrange Anschutz Precise

Post by Abi »

Thanks for sharing! I plan on building one as well, just going to take awhile.
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

What were the reasons you went with this particular action?
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

Abi, if you think you may eventually build a rifle like this... order the action now!

Gabe,
As to why I chose the Bat 3L, I heard some really great reviews about it. I did not want an aluminum action so that took Kelbly off my list (Nothing wrong with Kelbly just my preference) plus I was able to get a 3 lug locking action with an Anschutz trigger. I don't know of any other manufactures that offer that service. In addition the Anschutz Sight rile simplifies what I am accustomed to as far as sights.

I wanted 3 Lugs for the shorter bolt through 60* vs 90* more room for sights.

About a year ago I probably had more reasons but those are the top ones I can remember right there. I also know of one international shooter who I think uses this action and that boosted confidence in my choice.
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

It looks like the action is made specifically for the Anschutz trigger. I don't see a hanger or anything. Neat. Do you know of any other triggers that have the same for print as the anschutz?
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

Here is what I did.
It is a Quadlite action in 6BR with a Kreiger barrel sitting in an older modified 1810 stock. Then I swap in a newly aquire Remington 40x barreled action. Image

I know it isn't the prettiest rifle, but it is what I got right now. The 6BR is super accurate, cant complain about that. I am just getting to the range with the 40x. I shot the 6BR all this year at midrange matches and Camp Perry.
corning

Post by corning »

Will the Anschutz sights handle the recoil, or should you consider a more "robust" set of rear sights?
Erud

Post by Erud »

I agree with Corning that you may want to look at a different sight for your purposes. Besides the durability question, the adjustments on the Anschutz sight are just too fine for this type of shooting in my opinion, and too easy to get lost in the wind.

The BAT 3L is a super cool action, and is what I would choose if I were going to build something like this new. I had 3 Barnards on hand when I had mine built last year, so I went with those just for the sake of being practical. I've got 2 that I can swap back and forth in this stock, but it stays .308 95% of the time. The Barney's are great, but I'd sure love to have an Anschutz trigger.

mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Erud wrote:I agree with Corning that you may want to look at a different sight for your purposes. Besides the durability question, the adjustments on the Anschutz sight are just too fine for this type of shooting in my opinion, and too easy to get lost in the wind.
Durability shouldn't be an issue. Multiple photos from the 2013 300m National Championships show the Anschutz 7020 sight in use on fullbore rifles. Plus, since he's setting this up for ISSF 300m in addition to NRA midrange, the extra clicks may well be worth it.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... t-benning/

I love the color on your Precise stock, Erud. Was it custom, or did Anschutz make that for a time?
corning

Post by corning »

mtncwru wrote:
Erud wrote:I agree with Corning that you may want to look at a different sight for your purposes. Besides the durability question, the adjustments on the Anschutz sight are just too fine for this type of shooting in my opinion, and too easy to get lost in the wind.
Durability shouldn't be an issue. Multiple photos from the 2013 300m National Championships show the Anschutz 7020 sight in use on fullbore rifles. Plus, since he's setting this up for ISSF 300m in addition to NRA midrange, the extra clicks may well be worth it.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... t-benning/

I love the color on your Precise stock, Erud. Was it custom, or did Anschutz make that for a time?

Extra clicks? Anything more than 1/4 minute clicks will cause angst at mid range/long range in a switching wind. I did take a peek at the link. Interestingly so, there were also a lot of rifles (in use) using what appeared to be Warner's sight. I would still argue the need for the most durable/robust sight one can get when shooting a center fire rifle.
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

Erik,
The last time I saw that rifle it was silver (Facebook). What paint did you use? Also where did you buy the stock from?
Gabe
Erud

Post by Erud »

Hi Gabe,
I'm not on Facebook, so not sure which pic that was. My wife puts pics of me occasionally on her page, so maybe it was one of hers? Anyways, I got the stock Cerakoted in May of this year at a local shop here in MN. It was actually supposed to be a much different color, more of a deep/dark blue. It turned out the aqua-isn color you see in the pic and the shop only charged me half price because of the discrepancy. They said I could keep it as-is for just my deposit price, or I could bring it back anytime and they'd strip it and re-do it in any color I wanted for the remaining half. It has really grown on me since then, and I'm happy with the color (and price!) now. The shiny bare aluminum as it came from the factory was just too bright for outdoor shooting. 90% of the time it was fine, but when the sun angle was just right, it'd almost blind me. I knew when I bought it that I'd need to do something with the finish before too long, and I'm happy with the Cerakote. I'll probably get the Precise stock on my SB gun done at some point too.

I bought the stock from Champion's Choice at Camp Perry in 2014. They didn't have just a stock on hand, but agreed to take one off of an in-stock rifle and sell me that. Great folks to deal with as always.

Best,
Erik
Gabe

Post by Gabe »

Erik,
Thanks for the info. I think the picture was at a match. Grant Guess of the Shooters journal might have posted it.
I am off to shoot my Remschutz!

Gabe
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

When it comes to international 300m shooting, the vast majority of the competition use anschutz style sights. If I started shooting 300m, that's what I would use. The ranges that 300m is usually shot on are very protected, and have minimal wind when compared to NRA stuff. Also the target is really small compared to the NRA target, and every click closer to center will help.
If I was going to shoot midrange, I would use a coarser sight because of the wind values.
Matt
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

I have looked into the use of a more course sight for my midrange shooting as that will be the majority of my shooting with this setup, the Centra 10/50 LR is currently on the top of my list. With some other options...

Erud, I must say that you have a very beautiful rifle, i love that color! whats the big "R" for?

Current obsticals im working are what mirage band i will be going with.

and setting up 6br reloading, though i think i have this accomplished now, so long as I do not break my press again.
Erud

Post by Erud »

Ha, the "R" is from the "LEER" sticker I took off my truck topper when I bought it. My last name starts with R, and the color of it matched nicely with the Anschutz lettering so I just stuck it on there.