Information on FEG

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lawnboy

Information on FEG

Post by lawnboy »

Hello everyone,
I am a new member and over the past year have been getting interested in 10 meter pistol shooting.
I have taken things steadily and funds as always are scarce.
I am currently practicing with a Daisy 747 with self modified hand grips.
I am looking for progression to hopefully the next level and to start competing.
Is a FEG GPM (I don't know if it is the 01 or 02) suitable as a next level pistol?
Does anyone have technical information on the models and if so would you be happy to send it to me?
Thank's in advance.
william

Re: Information on FEG

Post by william »

The last time I handled one of these (about 10-11 years ago) it impressed me in every way: great (battleship-like) construction quality, easy to understand sight adjustments, very good trigger, and a grip that if not right out of the box was close enough to be made right fairly easily. I'm sure the FEGs are still very good pistols, but if anything more serious than an O-ring goes wrong you'll be the proud possessor of a beautifully appointed anchor for your model sailboat.

For the $400-500 that you'd have to pay for one, what's keeping you from either an IZH-46m or my personal mid-rank favorite, a TAU7? Why don't new posters display at least what country they're in which would answer a lot of questions about parts & service availability for a prospective purchase?
lawnboy

Post by lawnboy »

Thanks for the advice William, sorry about the Geographical info, I am in Maryland, USA.
Due to current events in the Ukraine it seems the supply of IZH's has dried up in the USA.
william

Post by william »

Buy a used one. They're always popping up here or on other classifieds sites - Izh46 & TAU7
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're up to dropping $500, buy something decent. You can find a used top of the line FWB or Walther CP series CO2 gun for that here on the classifieds. It might need some new O-rings, but that's about it. CO2 is MUCH cheaper and safer than compressed air, too.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

manual at http://www.australiancynic.com/FEG.pdf

best accuracy seems to be in the range of 390 to 400fps
lawnboy

Post by lawnboy »

Thank's everyone for the advice.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

lawnboy wrote:Hello everyone,
I am a new member and over the past year have been getting interested in 10 meter pistol shooting.
I have taken things steadily and funds as always are scarce.
I am currently practicing with a Daisy 747 with self modified hand grips.
I am looking for progression to hopefully the next level and to start competing.
Is a FEG GPM (I don't know if it is the 01 or 02) suitable as a next level pistol?
Does anyone have technical information on the models and if so would you be happy to send it to me?
Thank's in advance.
Hi Lawnboy, First of all, do not pay more than $250-$300 for one. Second of all,

make darned sure that the cylinders do not leak; this is the Achilles heel of all FEGs.

Third of all, download the manual that Spencer posted. Cherish it. If the grip does

not fit you, aftermarket grips are available from Marschal grips. The pistol is really

old school with a high barrel line. It's got good sights, and hopefully it comes with spare

front blade and rear sight plates. You can dryfire it; if you use an empty cylinder

which will allow unlimited cocking and dryfiring. Last of all, make sure that the pistol

comes with the CO2 adapter. These are very accurate pistols that will group ten shots

into the inner ten ring even with RWS Basics.

I went through pure heck getting most of my CO2 clinders to stop leaking. Some still have

usable but slow leaks.

I feel I paid my FEG GPM-01 dues; I have three of them! They each have three different length

barrels. These pistols are way more fun to shoot than the izzys. If you feel compelled to get

an Izzy, don't bother, save your pennies for an FWB 100 series or the far better balanced

Pardini K58. Later you can give the higher end used CO2 match air pistols some serious

consideration. Those would be made by Steyr, FWB, Pardini or Walther. Best of luck.

Tony
lawnboy

Post by lawnboy »

Thanks Tony,
Great advice.
Neil.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

more on FEG

* keep some CO2 in the cylinders at all times - the seal/ball lasts longer
* the cylinder safety O-ring WILL blow out if the pistol gets too hot (e.g. even cased if in the car on a hot day) - easy fixed as this O-ring is a standard metric size.