Good News For Massachusetts Shooters

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Good News For Massachusetts Shooters

Post by Gwhite »

It is far from perfect, but a large number of Olympic firearms have been added to a new list that makes them OK to sell in Massachusetts.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/fir ... 2-2015.pdf

It doesn't include centerfire pistols, and it doesn't address those that can be converted to centerfire.
jabberwo

Re: Good News For Massachusetts Shooters

Post by jabberwo »

Awesome news! I'm sure some juniors at MRA will be getting some Pardinis.

Funny, the Toz wasn't added.

thanks Greg,
Jab
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

This is the same list California uses. Toz's are on the last page listed as Vostok which is fine. The list can be added to in the future . This is a very big step in the right direction, a lot of people worked hard to get this done. I/we are still working on other issues and avenues.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

This is a portion of the list California uses. The California standard is all pistols SUITABLE for competing in Olympic style shooting. The California list has 148 pistols listed, Massachusetts list is only 116 pistols, largely because the California list includes centerfire pistols.

We tried very hard to get the California list written into the law as is. A bill was submitted, and had a good chance of making it into law last year. Instead, somebody decided to patch the existing law in a manner that was sufficiently vague that we now have a complex approval process that has taken 6 months to render a partial success.

Don't get me wrong, this is a huge step forward. However, if someone hadn't messed with things, we could have been in even better shape.
beeser

Post by beeser »

I don't understand, what about a centerfire conversion for the Pardini SP as an example? Is it legal to own separately but not attached to the receiver? And since the list will be at least updated bi-annually, what happens if a gun is removed from the list for some reason? Are you now non-compliant if you own a gun that was removed? Being from Arizona this all seems rather silly to me.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

The law as passed was not vague at all. It exempts pistols designed for Olympic competition. Currently there are no center fire events in Olympic competition. In the weird world of politics it's all about baby steps. We worked very hard to get this in. Since a conversion is not serialized and requires no separate registration under ATFE or Mass. law you can read between the lines. :) I'll meets with the committee as needed to add new models or ones I missed giving them.
Black_Talon

Post by Black_Talon »

Way to go guys! One step at a time.

As a subject of California, I definitely feel for you.
Murph

Post by Murph »

Great work people ! Hopefully CT will flow suit soon.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Congrats.
I see that "Steyr" is misspelled, I hope it will not cause any problem.
Would the Walther SSP-E be considered as SSP?
I guess everyone now needs to either buy a Hammerli 280 or a Pardini Sp conv or Benelli to take care of the Center Fire Pistol problem: No MG4. :(

I feel you for you, MA, especially since I went to school there for three years :(