Customising Anschutz Precise

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dezzick3

Customising Anschutz Precise

Post by dezzick3 »

Good afternoon,

I bought an Anschutz 1913 with a precise stock last year. In the year that I've had it the shine has dulled and this, coupled with someone in my club getting the new black version, has made me want to colour the stock. I've explored the option of getting it powder coated but the idea of putting the stock in a 220 degrees Celsius oven is less than appealing. I have also explored anodising, but I was told that the finish can be inconsistent. I have not seen an anodised precise, does anyone own one or own one that has been coloured in a different way? I am in the UK so if anyone can help me colour the stock I would be very grateful!

Many thanks,

Chris
sureshot007

Re: Customising Anschutz Precise

Post by sureshot007 »

I have an aluminum stock that is homemade. I've painted it, powder coated it, and vinyl wrapped it. The paint chipped easily. The powder coat wasn't even (but that was a result of bad application), and it's currently wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl that I had laying around. All of that being said, it's never affected anything. It's not like heating the bare stock is going to change its metallurgical properties or anything.
dezzick3

Post by dezzick3 »

I'm just a bit worried about changing a £1200 stock (especially the threads) by a few millimetres by putting it in an oven! Also, there are tiny bits of plastic in the rear end of the stock it'd be a disaster when those melted!
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

You'd have to strip it bare before you powder coat it, and then once done, you have to chase all of the treads with a tap. That's just how it works on anything that is powder coated.
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

our club (for better or worse) just built a overly exotic aluminum (precise type) stock for the savage mkII rifles CMP is selling...

the guy spearheading this project had them ceracoated...

supposedly one of the hardest finishes youll ever encounter. it will allegedly withstand sandblasting and chemicals and all of that...

i guess its similar to powdercoating but different. somehow.....
Andre

Post by Andre »

How about Plasti-Dip? They coat cars in the stuff. It seems dourable and can peel off when you want to change colors or finishes later.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I have Plastidip on my cheekpiece and grip, and it's not super durable. But the real pain is that it gets dirty easily, and no real way to clean it. Plus, you have to build up such a thick layer to make it look even that it would be hard to do the parts of the stock that come in contact with anything removable, like the accessory rail and such.
Andre

Post by Andre »

sureshot007 wrote:I have Plastidip on my cheekpiece and grip, and it's not super durable. But the real pain is that it gets dirty easily, and no real way to clean it. Plus, you have to build up such a thick layer to make it look even that it would be hard to do the parts of the stock that come in contact with anything removable, like the accessory rail and such.
I think rubbery plastidip is different than car plastic dip. I couldn't imagine covering a car in rubbery tool handle dip, and seeing videos of people peeling it off their car it doesn't look rubbery at all. More like a hard plastic film. But I have no idea, never messed with the car plastidip.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

No, it's the same stuff. I know a couple of guys that have done it. You just thin it a little bit with thinner to get it to spray easier, but you still need a thick coat to look good.
dezzick3

Post by dezzick3 »

Remmy23, thank you for your advice, I found the same website only an hour before your comment!

I think that is a good option, I have emailed them and they only heat the stock to 80 Celsius, far safer I think!
SRay53txtn

Post by SRay53txtn »

You could have a machine shop polish to high mirror OE finish, and reseal it. Look like new!
Andre

Post by Andre »

SRay53txtn wrote:You could have a machine shop polish to high mirror OE finish, and reseal it. Look like new!
I'd try some Flitz or Mothers brand mag polish. It's be just as shiny and you wouldn't risk damaging it; buffing is very hard to do right bu non-professionals. Then seal it with some rattle can clear coat.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I never understood the mirror finish stocks. It must be murder to shoot outside on a sunny day.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

sureshot007 wrote:I never understood the mirror finish stocks. It must be murder to shoot outside on a sunny day.
Being a mediocre shooter, I bought one so that the reflection will blind the competition.

Sometimes you have buy points where ever you can :)
Andre

Post by Andre »

Shooterer wrote:
sureshot007 wrote:I never understood the mirror finish stocks. It must be murder to shoot outside on a sunny day.
Being a mediocre shooter, I bought one so that the reflection will blind the competition.

Sometimes you have buy points where ever you can :)
Chrome!!!