Best pellets for Morini 162

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rixter

Best pellets for Morini 162

Post by Rixter »

I have a Morini 162 short-version on the way to me.

Which pellet weight would be better? 7 grains (.45 gm) or 8.2 grains (.53 gm)?

One dealer said the lighter weight and another said the heavier weight. What say you guys?

I have been using Meisterkugeln in my FWB 6M (aka Diana 6M). Any recommendations for something else in that price range (or cheaper)?
SamEEE

Re: Best pellets for Morini 162

Post by SamEEE »

Rixter wrote:I have a Morini 162 short-version on the way to me.

One dealer said the lighter weight and another said the heavier weight. What say you guys?

I have been using Meisterkugeln in my FWB 6M (aka Diana 6M). Any recommendations for something else in that price range (or cheaper)?

Best is subjective. That in mind here is what I use.

I use RWS Lightweight Green tin for training (half the price of the yellow tins).

Light yellow tins for competitions. Will probably import a box of R10s in the near future as I run out of Meisterkugeln as I can't get them in the right size from the local supplier.
Image Image
David M

Post by David M »

Until you shoot over 570's don't worry, just shoot.
Either wt will shoot well.
Rover

Post by Rover »

For complete success make sure you get the .177 pellets.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:For complete success make sure you get the .177 pellets.
You're new here Rixter but you'll soon get to know when Rover's being sarcastic. To start with, treat it as his default position. Either ignore him completely or don't let his attitude put you off using this board.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rixter wrote:I have a Morini 162 short-version on the way to me.

Usually air rifles "like" heavier pellets, while pistols tend to prefer the lighter ones.

The only way to know what your pistol likes is to test it from a bench. Barrels vary and with that so does the pellets they like.
Pellets vary from 4.48mm all the way to 4.52mm, with different weights depending on brand/alloy.
If you do test it, you will find out that even the cheapest (but decent, like rws basic) will produce a ten shot group of about 6mm maximum, outside to outside.
Given that the pellet is 4,5mm that gives you a total maximum spread of 1,5mm over 10 meters. It's irrelevant for the type of target we use.
Do a search here and you'll find lot's of info on pellet testing (some done by Rover!!!)

The bottom line is, until you are at a level of around 570+ in 60 shots, the type of pellet you use doesn't matter. Or as Rover said, get the .177 pellets!
He's a nice guy and means well, but can be a little rough around the edges... Not that he needs defending, he can muster that on his own. Once you start to read his posts you will start to get his humor!

By the way Rover, shouldn't you be knocking Rixter in the head for buying a PCP Morini also!? Or have you left the CO2 world behind and joined the DARK SIDE..... :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I really feel he should get a SSP, but all the PCP shooters have become SO sensitive lately that I thought I'd give THAT a rest, never mind that every SSP put in the Classifieds is instantly snapped up.

Want a pellet recommendation? RWS Basic.
apron

Post by apron »

"Usually air rifles "like" heavier pellets, while pistols tend to prefer the lighter ones." Would there be damages made to the pistol , if I used air rifle pellets in shooting pistol ?
rmca

Post by rmca »

apron wrote:"Usually air rifles "like" heavier pellets, while pistols tend to prefer the lighter ones." Would there be damages made to the pistol , if I used air rifle pellets in shooting pistol ?
Nop... When I said "liked" I meant they usually perform better. Tighter groups.

Thats why, big brands like RWS, H&N, etc, make specific pellets for pistol (lighter) and for rifle (heavier). And even then only in the top tier pellets. For their practice or club lines, they are usually the same.

The difference is only a grain or so, which translates to 1 grain = 0.06479891 grams. Nothing to lose sleep about!

Hope this helps
Rixter

Post by Rixter »

David Levene wrote:
Rover wrote:For complete success make sure you get the .177 pellets.
You're new here Rixter but you'll soon get to know when Rover's being sarcastic. To start with, treat it as his default position. Either ignore him completely or don't let his attitude put you off using this board.
Not to worry. I know that that a barking dog doesn't bite.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I shoot the light weight RWS Basic for practice and the RWS R-10 Match Pistol for matches in my Morini 162 EI Short. Both types are 7.0 grains. I used to shoot heavier pellets. Truth be known, the gun is probably capable of putting any of them all in the 10 ring at 10 meters. I am the weak link.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Through my testing, I KNOW decent pellets will clean the "11" ring with the four guns I've tested (including a Morini 162E).

Here are some of my results. Open all the places listed.

viewtopic.php?t=23073

viewtopic.php?t=30011&start=0