4-P course of fire

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Ltdave

4-P course of fire

Post by Ltdave »

my daughter has shot several 3-P matches but shes never fired a 4-P...

just curious what the course of fire is...

thanks
beye

Re: 4-P course of fire

Post by beye »

Usually prone, sitting, kneeling and standing in that order. An equal number of shots in each position, 10-20 for indoor and up to 40 outdoors.
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

beye wrote:Usually prone, sitting, kneeling and standing in that order. An equal number of shots in each position, 10-20 for indoor and up to 40 outdoors.

prone, sitting, kneeling and standing in that order

thats what i was looking for!

thanks
Andre

Post by Andre »

My club has always shot it; Prone, Standing, Sitting, Kneeling.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

Normally it is prone, standing, sitting, kneeling.
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

I think it depends on what rule book you are using for the match. For NRA 4-P, the usual order is prone, standing, sitting, kneeling.
beye

Post by beye »

Perhaps I'm overlooking it, but I cannot find in the NRA smallbore rule book where the order of positions is mandated. If this is so, the course is set by the match director and specified in the match program.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Here are the links I found. The rulebook appears to say, for four position indoor you can choose your order, yet for four position outdoor it specifies the order.

Page 17 & 18 of the smallbore rulebook (section 7.3 for conventional and 7.5 for metric) address this.

The rulebook says for conventional position indoor at 50' or 75', "10, 20 or 40 in each of the four positions." For conventional position outdoor at 50 yards it specifies, "10, 20, or 40 in each of the following positions: Prone, Sitting, Kneeling, Standing." (section 7.3)

The rulebook says for metric three position says, "10, 20, or 40 in each position: Prone, Standing, and Kneeling." (section 7.5).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... Kg&cad=rja

The rulebook, to me, appears to conflict with the NRA score cards (both junior and open), which list the order as prone, standing, sitting, then kneeling.

http://compete.nra.org/sectional-score- ... grams.aspx

Since the rulebook and scorecards do not seem to agree, I don't think this is the final word on the matter.

Our club and the league that I shoot in (50' indoor) shoot prone, sitting, kneeling, then offhand.

Best,

Brian
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I was the range officer at the 4P sectional just a couple weeks ago, and this exact question came up. So, I went to the rulebook and came to the same conclusion you did - that it doesn't *actually* say what order to shoot them in, so I just followed the order of the score cards.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The Sectional Progams which come to the match director with the sectional awards set the order of fire. Prone, standing, sitting, kneeling.

Other match directors for approved matches are allowed to set the order as they wish, but the program must go through NRA approval.