P44 first impressions after the first 1000 rds...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
spektr

P44 first impressions after the first 1000 rds...

Post by spektr »

I recieved my gun a few weeks ago, and I have shot it 4 nights a week since then.

The owners manual isn't translated very well into English, it could be clearer in places.
The Illustrations in the owners manual are very good, and allow you to get tasks after a
bit of back and forth between the gun and the book. All in all, a good job.

I was concerned that there is NO REFERENCE that I could find recommending an air cylinder lubricant
to keep the friction down when recharging the gun. That was settled with a quick phone call...

Grip adjust-ability... Fabulous, If you cannot find a position you like, I'd be surprised. The actual screws
you need to twist to accomplish each task are not very well described in the manual. The trick to getting
the grip positioned is to look at the relationship of the machined aluminum block that is the spacer between the wood in the grip and the action itself. the screws in the top of the block adjust gun cant as well as grip rake (angle). Adjust them Symmetrically for rake, and differentially to adjust cant. This is the minor adjustment for cant. The major adjustment for cant is in the sight block and front sight itself, and I have not had to use it.....
Grip rotation is adjusted using the 2 screws in the rear of the action that contact the aluminum block. It looks like you can also make a rake adjustment here also, so there appear to be more than 1 way to skin the proverbial cat...

Trigger..... I can get lost for hours moving stuff around here, and I probably will, I'm amazed at the packaging.
This trigger is the best I have shot, hands down, ever.... It will not disappoint you. I still dont have it exactly where I want it to be, but I'm getting close.

Feel, nice balance, much less nose heavy than the 777 it replaced. It will move laterally more eacily than vertically. When I jerk the trigger, it shoots 6's to the left at 9 o'clock. The trigger is helping me with that as I put enough 1st stage travel in it to let me find the release point and sit on it while I line up the shot. The Overtravel screw is extremely fine and lets you get down to virtually nothing..... When I started shooting the gun as set up by the factory, I was "pulling thru" the trigger and going bang withut feeling the 1st stage to 2nd stage "spot"... Either I made it mentally or practice improves things, and it is much less apparent today.

The Sights are awesome, but I still need to remember that the Germans move the POI to the Shot, and Americans do it the other way.. That means if you are missing high or right, you MOVE UP or RIGHT.....

Pellets, who cares, I have Vogels, RWS and Hobbys, and I cannot tell a difference in them. Rover must be better than me... (BIG GRIN HERE)

The SSP PCP debate??? I'll take the new gun, BUT there is an ability to really fatigue yourself by loading and
shooting as fast as the gun will.... Might not be the best thing for scores.

One downside of the gun.... When your on target and just about ready to break the shot, The overpressure from the AR15 guy 2 lanes over will pull the trigger for you..... That never happened with my 777...

More Later....

Scott.
cpe

Re: P44 first impressions after the first 1000 rds...

Post by cpe »

Nice summary of the p44. I would like to get one of these.

What was the solution for the air cylinder lubricant?

How are the feel of the grips and are they the older Morini style or the newer Ciro or other type of grips on the new black finished models?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

When I purchased my 103 and P34 directly from Feinwerkbau back in the 90's, they always included a tube of their "special grease" with their guns and the manuals indicated the proper lubrication for the pistols. One annoying characteristic of the FWB pistols is the loud "ping" sound when the pistol is fired with the dry fire mechanism turned on.

I don't own a P44, did they already fix this issue and now the dry firing is silent?
spektr

Post by spektr »

Hi Guys..
Sorry for the delay.
I use Break Free G96 full synthetic oil on the cylinders.
The dry firing of the gun makes an audible click, but is it unobtrusive.
Im not sure how to answer the grip questions, they are a brown lacquered
wood that is solid and not plywood, as far as the type of grip, Morini
or Ciro, I dont know the answer to that,, sorry
FredB

Post by FredB »

The P44 has been supplied with Morini grips (familiar CM logo) and with Minelli grips (logo is M in non-concentric circles). Ciro does make P44 grips, but I don't think that they were FWB-supplied.