shooting jacket for jr shooter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

twisted

shooting jacket for jr shooter

Post by twisted »

So my son is currently shooting in a champions shooter supply ISSF size 40 jacket and 38 shooting pants. This weekend at the Canadian airgun grand prix he was told to take the bottom 2 buttons off to pass tech. We took this opportunity to have him sized at the vendor that was there (Tesro). After measurements they suggested a size 44 based on his shoulder measurements. That made sense to me. After getting a pair of pants on and trying on jackets they ended up at a size 56 pants and jacket do to him having a little belly. He's 6-2 and wears a 34/34 pants. My main concern is how loose the jacket was up top. They suggested to just pull the buttons in up top. My concern is this. Wouldn't that throw out the placement of the arms and end up all bunched up? I'm guessing the buttons are almost going to be at the rubber shoulder pad.

Is it time to look into a custom fitted suit when he isn't done growing? Everyone is telling me he is to the point where he needs a better suit to be taken seriously and his current suit doesn't fit well but if I'm gonna spend $800 on a pro suit that doesn't fit...

Help
twisted

Re: shooting jacket for jr shooter

Post by twisted »

Here's the 56 jacket unbottoned but seems huge up around the shoulders
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Unfortunately, usually off the rack jackets & pants are a compromise on the fit, especially with juniors.

A custom suit will fit, and I'd make sure that the vendor or a rep does the measurement ... if it is wrong, don't accept it. If you do the measurement, then you're in a pickle.

Anything they are sizing off a rack is not custom.

Most of us with juniors get the best fit we can, and then make those compromises ... like leaving off a button or two.
I'll admit that maybe I took one of your comments wrong, but I'll state anyway that how a suit fits, or does not fit, has nothing to do with REALLY being taken seriously. It's how close the hole in the target is to the center that does that. A well fitting suit can help, but this is not a fashion show.

My kids more typically than not shoot in what they call "ghetto gear" ... well used & ugly. My youngest daughter shot for years in her mostly "barf green" multicolor jacket.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

JH has more experience than I. I was told years ago to get a jacket that fits in the shoulders well, and make the rest work. I still think its great advice. If you are thinking custom...set a goal and when he achieves it, get him custom.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Consider that for the slinged positions fit through the shoulders is more important than fit around the belly. When you clip that sling to the strap on the left arm, if the jacket does not fit properly through the shoulders the sling tension will pull the jacket around the shoulders and down the arm.

The suggestion that you just take up the buttons on the top to get a good fit is an non starter. 7.5.4.2 states maximum overlap beyond the buttons is 100mm (3.9 inches). Start taking up too much with the buttons and you will run foul there.

The other thing to consider is that different manufacturers have different standard body types, if you were to try some other off the shelf brands you might find something that is a better natural fit, without going the MTM route.

'Dude
twisted

Post by twisted »

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I'm going to stick with something off the shelf that I can return if need be and then have him sized by a pro when we run across someone at a match!
twisted

Post by twisted »

Just put in an order with 10pt9 for an anschutz match suit. Heather was quite helpful and it looks like I'll be able to have my son sized for a custom suit this upcoming fall as she shoots some of the monthly matches at Camp Perry!