BE iron sights, red dot

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Xman

BE iron sights, red dot

Post by Xman »

I have a Buckmark with a full length weaver rail. But I am confused about which BE competitions allow and dont allow red dots sights. I know I can find NRA and International rule books on line as PDFs but slogging through them until I can order them direct is a real drag. So I thought I would post here to get the basic information. The barrel length is 5.5 inches and has unmodified grips with a thumb rest. It already has the Haggis Flip to lighten the trigger to 42 oz which is fine by me. The trigger breaks like a 2 stage trigger just as it is and I rather not fool with it any more.
GOVTMODEL

Re: BE iron sights, red dot

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Xman wrote:I have a Buckmark with a full length weaver rail. But I am confused about which BE competitions allow and dont allow red dots sights. I know I can find NRA and International rule books on line as PDFs but slogging through them until I can order them direct is a real drag. So I thought I would post here to get the basic information. The barrel length is 5.5 inches and has unmodified grips with a thumb rest. It already has the Haggis Flip to lighten the trigger to 42 oz which is fine by me. The trigger breaks like a 2 stage trigger just as it is and I rather not fool with it any more.
Actually, there isn't a great deal of slogging at all. Conventional Pistol Rule 3-
1. Open Division - Any semi-automatic handgun or revolver
using any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target.

2. Metallic Division - The following items are prohibited:
a) Peep, ghost, optical or electronic sights.

3. Production Division - A Production Firearm is a semi-automatic
handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalog item readily
available to the general public equipped with factory notch & post
sights.

International Pistol Rule 3 is easier-

3.1 Applicable to All Pistol Events -
(a) This section defines authorized equipment. Where alternative types
of equipment are shown, the least restrictive conditions apply, unless
the tournament program sets forth limitations.
(b) Only open sights are allowed. Optics, mirror, telescopic, laser beam,
electronically projected dots, etc. are prohibited. Any aiming device
programmed to activate the firing mechanism is prohibited. No
protective covering is permitted on front or rear open sights.

Any questions?
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

dots are legal for bullseye matches, not for CMP or EIC matches
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

In general for NRA matches and with a 2 pound trigger; Buckmark with a dot is ok Open class or with open sights if the sight radius is not over 10 inches; without dot and with open sight ok for metallic class if barrel is 10 inches or less; it is not ok for production since it is a single action trigger gun.

In general a stock Buckmark will probably be ok for for the new CMP .22 Distinguished Matches with open sights if the total sight radius is 10 inches or less and has a 2 pound trigger.
Last edited by CR10X on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xman

Post by Xman »

After slogging thru the PDF BE rules I did find that my 5.5" buckmark barrel is illegal for production class. The barrel limit is 5.35". Rule 3.3b
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Xman wrote:After slogging thru the PDF BE rules I did find that my 5.5" buckmark barrel is illegal for production class. The barrel limit is 5.35". Rule 3.3b

NRA rules or CMP rules? And you are probably measuring from the wrong point. If it looks like a five inch barrel, they aren't going to be out there on the line with a micrometer.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Please read my previous post, it does not matter what the barrel length of the Buckmark is, as it is a single action semi-auto and therefore not legal for Production. Check out the complete section of Production rules. We went through this when the rules that are used to define these guns were being developed for the Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) matches. NRA lifted them straight from the Action Pistol rule book, but fortunately (and unlike action pistol); you do not have to operate the first shot in "double action" for the Conventional Pistol matches.

You can shoot that aforementioned Buckmark in Open with dots or open sights, Metallic with open sights. And yes, Ruger Mark (whatever), Model 41's, Marvels on 1911, Hammerlis, Pardini, etc. are single action semi-auto pistols.

For Production .22, you will need to find a .22 capable of moving the hammer or striking device from the forward / initial / rested position some distance fruther from the original position until such time as the hammer or striker is released to move in the firing direction to fire the gun (double acting trigger). I know that is complicated to say, but research the controversy over XD series versus Glock for Production when they first came out and that is basically how the "striker fired" guns get classified as "double action" for these rules. (That is now cleared up and we even have the XDM 5.25 series which seeks to maximize the gun for Action Pistol Production rules).

Some possible .22's would be new Ruger / Walther plastic .22's With double action capability, probably a .22 conversions on DA frame semi autos, although we need to get confirmation from NRA on that one (definition of gun versus a gun from a base frame and then a conversion since it was not originally manufactured in that configuration), revolvers with appropriate barrel length (assume single or double action since there is not exclusion), etc.

Good Shooting