Morini MGH1

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Pheyden

Morini MGH1

Post by Pheyden »

Does anyone have any experience with this match pistol? Mechanical or Hybrid trigger?
therider

Re: Morini MGH1

Post by therider »

I own one since June
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

therider wrote:I own one since June
How do you comply with 6.2.2.2?
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Spencer wrote:

A friend of mine had one and after much deliberating about the pistol we decided that it could never really comply with the rule and you would have to seek special dispensation from the jury at every competition.

Probably the last thing you would want on your mind at a major event. He moved it along 6 months after he bought it.

It was an average pistol overall; shot and pointed quite naturally - but a daft mechanism, too fancy for it's own good in my view.

Get a Pardini K58.
Image Image
therider

Post by therider »

This story about rules is periodically coming back and has been discussed in here a few years ago.

IT HAS NO GROUND.

I have seen shooters in Munich at all international shooting events using it without any problem.
therider

Post by therider »

The pistol is no "average" pistol at all.

Everybody who has shoot mine was amazed by the trigger... When I say everybody I include people at my club who have shot at Olympics and/or at other major international competitions.
I shoot also Steyr LP10E but the trigger of MGH1 is another class. Similar to but better than 162ei in my opinion.

Although it is an irrelevant matter, once you get used to the loading system, it really annoys to load another pistol.

The effect of the pressure chamber directly behind the Diabolo can be felt. I personally think that what Match Guns claims in the video regarding the reduced time in the barrel (30% only as compared to a normal pistol) plays no role.....at least I manage to get bad shots any way! :-)

However my feeling is that the pistol recoils much less as compared to say a Morini 162ei. I am talking about that little upward flip of the muzzle which you have with 162 ei (and which I like a lot). That does not exist at all in the MGH1
If you shoot a bad shot MGH1 will tell you very clearly! If the shot is perfectly executed , you will think that there is an absorber.
It took sometime for me to get used, but I am now really loving this. First because I think that MGH1 is teaching me how to correct the bad shots, secondly, and most importantly, because the feeling of the perfect shot, with the pistol just pushing horizontally backwards against my arm, is so good that I am now only looking for that and I don't care of the number of rings any more!

Technically the pistol is amazing. As I wrote in the past it was tested privately in Germany by a TÜV engineer, commissioned by a large German dealer who told me that the engineer was amazed by the quality.
I remember that what impressed the engineer mostly was the consistency of the pressure regulator.
On this respect about a month ago I drove again to Parma to ask Cesare Morini to replace the rear sight which I had stretched and was reflecting light in my eye,
On that occasion Cesare tested my pistol. Diabolo velocity was 176m/s and he reduced to 172m/s. He then tested for consistency. 8/10 shots had 172 m/s whilst 2/10 had 0.4m/s difference.

Details of construction are incredible. I have been a few time now at matchguns and spent many hours with Cesare whilst buying his professional expertise with custom grips. And I am not surprised any more by the maniacal attention to every detail.
As an example the screw to fix the grip to the frame does not fall out of the grip, because it is fixed with an o-ring.

Similarly the screws to adjust the inclination of the grip are not loos. So, at variance with e.g. Lp10e, once you have adjusted them , they stay in position without any need of a drop of Loctite.

One final comment regarding pressure chamber. It gets loaded at cocking with 80bars (so explained Cesare) and trigger opens that chamber, not the air bottle. So you get always exactly the same diabolo speed. Once the bottle pressure is below 80 bars, you see immediately that the next diabolo is a couple of centimetres low.

Centre of gravity.
I accurately measured it last week. The distance from the trigger is exactly the same as the lp10e. However the feeling in the hand is completely different. I guess that is due to the inclination of the grip, which is the same as the pardini k12, whilst lp10 is more vertical.
therider

Post by therider »

Spencer wrote:
I know that some of Team GB use targettalk, and some of them shoot MGH1 as I have seen them in Munich at the World Cup.

May be they could comment on this issue which is repeatedly risen???????
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

therider wrote:
Spencer wrote:
I know that some of Team GB use targettalk, and some of them shoot MGH1 as I have seen them in Munich at the World Cup.

May be they could comment on this issue which is repeatedly risen???????
Here in the UK we tend to accept the safety flag solution from the Matchguns web site. One addition I like to see is a mark on the line to indicate that it has gone all of the way in to the barrel as far as the loading port.

Although this solution is widely accepted, because it does not fully comply with the rules it is advisable to check with EC and range staff that they will accept it.

I did hear a rumour that Matchguns had a letter from the ISSF stating that this solution was acceptable but, as I have never seen it, IMHO checking with the competition staff is a must.
therider

Post by therider »

David, do you have any experience in Munich?

I will ask Cesare about the letter and I will post next time I drive to parma for grip adjustment.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

therider wrote:David, do you have any experience in Munich?
Not since the World Championships in 2010.
therider

Post by therider »

Sergey Chervyakovskiy winning the World Cup in Gabala 2014 with MGH1 and using the flag as indicated by David.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CG2YXHeNJu4
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Does anyone have a MGH1 for sale?
kaban56

Post by kaban56 »

Pheyden wrote:Does anyone have a MGH1 for sale?
I might. Just sent you a PM.
therider

Post by therider »

UPDATE ON SAFATY FLAG

Last Sunday I had the championship of the association of 1/6 of the shooters of Munich (about 1000 shooters, if I am not mistaken).

The championship took place at the Olympic Shooting Range and my MGH1 underwent the standard pistol control.

The officials accepted, without even asking, the safaty flag position as indicated by David.
conradin

Post by conradin »

You probably need to change the title a bit...to Match Guns...at first I was thinking when did Morini actually come up with a new pistol..until I realized that you were referring to Cesare Morini as an arm manufacturer, not his former firm.
william

Post by william »

conradin wrote:You probably need to change the title a bit...to Match Guns...at first I was thinking when did Morini actually come up with a new pistol..until I realized that you were referring to Cesare Morini as an arm manufacturer, not his former firm.
I think the title is just right! It points out how the man - Cesare MORINI - has been busy innovating and expanding the envelope of competition pistol technology / performance even if every idea doesn't quite get it right on the first try. On the other hand, the company - Morini - has rested on its laurels and seems content to milk the market with what are now pretty tired concepts (most of which Cesare's from decades ago).

Given that it is his actual name, I will think of products that come from the restless genius' mind as "MORINI" regardless of the company label.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I think the title is just right! It points out how the man - Cesare MORINI - has been busy innovating and expanding the envelope of competition pistol technology / performance even if every idea doesn't quite get it right on the first try. On the other hand, the company - Morini - has rested on its laurels and seems content to milk the market with what are now pretty tired concepts (most of which Cesare's from decades ago).

Given that it is his actual name, I will think of products that come from the restless genius' mind as "MORINI" regardless of the company
These words couldn't be any closer to the truth...well said William.