Different Rings for an UltraDot?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

Different Rings for an UltraDot?

Post by mr alexander »

Whenever my pistol get's a full blown cleaning, the UltraDot is completely removed from the rings and is set aside. Am

using the aluminum, vertically-split rings that UltraDot supplies with their sights. Nothing wrong with them being made of

aluminum, but mounting the sight back into the rings can be troublesome and awkward, due to their design. Things would

probably be easier if horizontally-split rings were used instead. The ring tops and sight could be removed, while still leaving

the bottoms attached during cleaning. Reassembly would be quick and easy. Afterwards, would probably find my "zero"

has not changed either. Any recommendations on a brand and model of horizontally-split rings that have worked well for

you? Would like something that places sight as low as possible; want to stay with aluminum instead of going to a steel set.

Also, ever use any material between the rings and the scope tube? What about Loc-Tite on the ring screws? Must say

never used any of these items with the UltraDot rings as they held the sight securely for me. Thanks for any advice.
dronning

Re: Different Rings for an UltraDot?

Post by dronning »

I have these on all my Matchdot II's I think they make a 1" version too.

Burris 420160 XTR 30-mm Rings (Low, Black)

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I use Tasco 791c rings on most of my guns with good results. I do remove and replace with minimum zero change. They come with double stick tape pads for the insides of the rings. I'm not sure how they compare with others for height, but I don't think they are much different from the vertical ones you're using. I do not use any adhesives on any of the fasteners.
walt k

Post by walt k »

For 1' tubes I use Leupold's "Rifleman" brand rings. They light weight, available in 3 heights, inexpensive ($20.00 or less) aluminum rings which do the job well.
For a 30mm tube I use Millet rings which have the same characteristics as the above and also serve well. I must state that all these rings are used only on a .22 rimfire pistol for Bullseye.
I do not use anything between the rings and the scope body. I do not use Loc Tite on any scope rings. I do use medium strength (blue) Loc Tite on the scope base(s) screws.
davekp

Post by davekp »

Weaver Quad Lock. $10 at Walmart.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I've used Weaver rings for my UltraDot scopes for many years now. Mr. Knapp, of the Hammerli Knapp mount, suggested them when I first went from iron sights to a scope. I find that there is minimal sight adjustment changes (a click or two) when the scope is removed and replaced
Rover

Post by Rover »

I, too, use Weaver rings. Quick and easy removal and replacement on the gun. I don't know why anyone would want to remove the rings from the scope.
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

Folks,

Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention that I am using a 1" diameter UltraDot Sight. For those of you who are using

Weaver rings: Are you using "Weaver-style Rings" that are offered by various firms? Or are they rings actually made and

sold by the Weaver company? The reason I ask? Once had Weaver-brand rings called "Sure Grip" mounted on a Remington

Model 700 in .222 Rem caliber. Sighting in at 50 yards, it was shooting 16 INCHES left! Was using a proven scope. Shooting

off of a bench with sand bags for support. Thoroughly checked everything in the mounting system. All was tight. Tried

reversing rings in various patterns on the base. Things went from bad to worse. Contacted the source for them (Brownells).

Was told this particular product was known to be "very inconsistent dimensionally". If you are able to, please mention the

particular brand and the specific name/model of the rings that you're using. Thank you all again!