Airgun Rapid Fire

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
podunckshooter

Airgun Rapid Fire

Post by podunckshooter »

I have a 5 shot system in my basement and I'm very new to compressed airguns. I shoot right to left or left to right with similar results which is a tight group on the left target, and a wide group on the right side, no matter which direction I move. My stance is centered, facing the targets using two hands.

I understand I should be shooting 1 handed, but was hoping someone could shed some light on what's happening. My sight picture appears to be the same.

Phil,
mctrucky

Re: Airgun Rapid Fire

Post by mctrucky »

Ok, first start by shooting single handed on the middle target. Get a comfortable stance and get so you are grouping precision shots fairly well in the middle of the target. Two hands is easier, but if you want to shoot rapid fire, learn to do it properly so you don't have to re-learn if you ever want to compete.

Then keeping your feet in the same place, and maintaining the same shoulder/arm/head position try twisting left and right to swing through the other targets. You should be aligning on the middle target so that the twist to left and right is the same on both sides to reach the outside target.

Now try shooting all targets in a string - start on the one on the right. The recoil of a .22 will help push the gun to the left - and while not relevant with AP shooting, getting into a good habit early is sensible so that you can transition to a .22 more easily later should you ever wish to do that. Try to shoot to a rhythm, i.e. let the timing control the shot release rather than aiming each shot individually. This way, if you struggle to get on aim on particular target then you still get the shot away without compromising the rest of the string as you rush to catch up. So when you raise, pick up the best sight picture you can in the correct time and release the shot, keeping the sight picture transition across the targets releasing the shot in a smooth rhythm. Watch the sights, not the target.

Lastly, it is best to be slow with a good technique than fast with bad technique, as it is easier to shoot faster the more experienced you get. But build a foundation on bad technique and it is harder to improve. So start nailing the 8 second series before you worry about having poor 4 second series.

Hope that helps a bit.

McT
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

mctrucky wrote:
Now try shooting all targets in a string - start on the one on the right.

McT
But if you are left handed start with the one on the left, otherwise the target appears from behind your hand - even though you should not be looking at it.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

mctrucky wrote: You should be aligning on the middle target so that the twist to left and right is the same on both sides to reach the outside target.
McT
This is certainly a possible way to align your stance with the targets, somewhat popular in the past, but rarely used these days. There are two arguments why you should be aligning with the first target you shoot.
1) The total angular distance between the centers of the first and the last targets is a mere 6.9 degrees. This is nothing even for the most inflexible body.
2) The first shot is by far the most important, especially in the 4 sec series. Your body should not be under any lateral tension when you lift your arm, otherwise you will not be able to do it consistently.

But I agree that there is no point worrying about your groups until you start shooting one-handed, as the body mechanics is so much different.