New world record on 50m pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
TB

New world record on 50m pistol

Post by TB »

Jin Jong Oh just sat a new world record on free pistol at the world championships in Granada Spain. 583 was his score.

http://www.issf-sports.org/pages/result ... 313b303b30
David Levene

Re: New world record on 50m pistol

Post by David Levene »

He could become quite a good shooter ;-)

Let's hope he has a better final than when he broke the AP60 World Record.

It wasn't all his fault. He wasn't shooting as well as he had done in the qualifier but then got a jammed paper roll and had to move to reserve target. The furore caused by the coaches stopped the shooting for so long that everyone in the final got additional sighters.
rmca

Post by rmca »

And there goes the mythical value of the mu55! ;)
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Let's say: The MC55 has retired now...

And Jin Jong Oh also received the title as World Champion in the final, well deserved!

(Never saw a Final so clear and with marvellous scenes than this at www.issf-sports.org , one could learn A LOT about pistol shooting only by watching it! Thanks to ISSF media technic!!)
David M

Post by David M »

Wow..nice shooting
97, 97, 96, 97, 99, 97
Total: 583-17x
Final 192.3

Link
Finals 50m Pistol Men, ISSF World Championship 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGV_eBt2lMs
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

I'm thinking Morini Competition Arm S.A. should update their website soon.......

Fantastic job by Jin and always great to watch him compete under pressure in the finals.
Limator

Post by Limator »

The last eight shots were amazing.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

David Levene wrote:He could become quite a good shooter ;-)
Some flash-in-the-pan nobody shoots a fluke WR score witnessed by absolutely no one at an out-of-the-way match and you think that means something??

You're delusional.

;P
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

john bickar wrote:
Some flash-in-the-pan nobody shoots a fluke WR score witnessed by absolutely no one at an out-of-the-way match and you think that means something??
But John, he was only 24th in the last WCH. Obviously his AP60 World Record the year before must have been a fluke as well.

We all know that top shooters are on top form every time they pick up their gun, don't we?

Seriously, another well deserved title and record for one of the nicest guys around.
zanardi50

Post by zanardi50 »

If he didn't had those 2 8's (Melentiev's were mostly 10's and some 9's) that score would've been somewhere between 585-587. :-)
One can only imagine what went on in his mind when he jerked the 1st 8 and dipped the wrist slightly on the 2nd 8 (both being anticipation from shooting strings of solid 10's and occasional 9's). If I was in his shoes I would've fell apart and never recovered.
His mental discipline truly amazes me to no end. :-)
Just effing wow.
renzo

Post by renzo »

zanardi50 wrote:If he didn't had those 2 8's (Melentiev's were mostly 10's and some 9's) that score would've been somewhere between 585-587. :-)
One can only imagine what went on in his mind when he jerked the 1st 8 and dipped the wrist slightly on the 2nd 8 (both being anticipation from shooting strings of solid 10's and occasional 9's). If I was in his shoes I would've fell apart and never recovered.
Just effing wow.
Without minimizing in the least Jin's magnificent achievement, if you look at the targets, Melentiev got quite a few 10's less, but overall his 60-shot group is a more clustered one, he had not a single shot under 9.3.

He had more time to shoot, and different clothing requirements, so I'm simply comparing shot placement.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

john bickar wrote:

You're delusional.

;P
A world record has to be shot at the world championships doesnt it, unlike just about every other sport in the world. Wasnt Ragnar Skanakers national record already 583
Last edited by Muffo on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
zanardi50

Post by zanardi50 »

Was a tongue in cheek statement between 2 close friends, if I'm not mistaken. Not to offend or taken seriously.
:-)
Muffo wrote:
john bickar wrote:

You're delusional.

;P
You may be a little drunk. Although you do have good grammer while intoxicated. It was shot at the world championships/ Pretty sure If you hold the world record for air and 50m pistol that makes you not a flash in the pan.

A world record has to be shot at the world championships doesnt it, unlike just about every other sport in the world. Wasnt Ragnar Skanakers national record already 583
zanardi50

Post by zanardi50 »

Absolutely agree. Personally I like how Melentiev's aggregate group looks on paper. If I was Jin the 1st 8 would've got me thinking, "oh shoot there goes my chance of breaking 580" and the 2nd 8 "Damn there goes 570" lol.

Also, Melentiev was shooting a less refined (not necessarily a disadvantage) gun compared to Jin's FP with shorer sight radius.

Now that the gauntlet has been thrown down by Jin, I wonder if this new high will be the norm from here on out?

Is breaking 570 or even 580 in major meets on a casual basis with current world class shooters a psychological barrier, or something more than that?

I'm curious to see what happens next....

renzo wrote:
zanardi50 wrote:If he didn't had those 2 8's (Melentiev's were mostly 10's and some 9's) that score would've been somewhere between 585-587. :-)
Just effing wow.
Without minimizing in the least Jin's magnificent achievement, if you look at the targets, Melentiev got quite a few 10's less, but overall his 60-shot group is a more clustered one, he had not a single shot under 9.3.

He had more time to shoot, and different clothing requirements, so I'm simply comparing shot placement.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

zanardi50 wrote:Absolutely agree. Personally I like how Melentiev's aggregate group looks on paper. If I was Jin the 1st 8 would've got me thinking, "oh shoot there goes my chance of breaking 580" and the 2nd 8 "Damn there goes 570" lol.

Also, Melentiev was shooting a less refined (not necessarily a disadvantage) gun compared to Jin's FP with shorer sight radius.

Now that the gauntlet has been thrown down by Jin, I wonder if this new high will be the norm from here on out?

Is breaking 570 or even 580 in major meets on a casual basis with current world class shooters a psychological barrier, or something more than that?

I'm curious to see what happens next....

renzo wrote:
Just effing wow.

I dont see it changing it has been done before but nothing changed
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Muffo wrote:
john bickar wrote:
You may be a little drunk. Although you do have good grammer while intoxicated. It was shot at the world championships/ Pretty sure If you hold the world record for air and 50m pistol that makes you not a flash in the pan.
Considering that every single part of my statement is demonstrably false, you might want to check the calibration on your sarcasmometer :)
Muffo wrote:A world record has to be shot at the world championships doesnt it, unlike just about every other sport in the world.
World records can be fired at any ISSF event. There have been many, many opportunities to break Melentiev's record.

Simply a fantastic achievement at what many consider to be the most challenging shooting competition in the world.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Muffo wrote:
john bickar wrote:

You're delusional.

;P

I would have thought that my response to John might have given an indication of how I read his comments:-
David Levene wrote: But John, he was only 24th in the last WCH. Obviously his AP60 World Record the year before must have been a fluke as well.

We all know that top shooters are on top form every time they pick up their gun, don't we?

Seriously, another well deserved title and record for one of the nicest guys around.
In answer to your question regarding setting World Records, the full requirements are covered by ISSF rule 3.9 (and its sub-sections) but generally the can be set at "Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cups, World Cup Finals, Continental Championships and Continental Games that have been conducted according to the ISSF Rules and Regulations."
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Thats interesting, does anyone know why Skanakers national record of 583 didnt stand as a world record then
rmca

Post by rmca »

Muffo wrote:Thats interesting, does anyone know why Skanakers national record of 583 didnt stand as a world record then
Probably beacuse it wans't shot at an "Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cups, World Cup Finals, Continental Championships and Continental Games that have been conducted according to the ISSF Rules and Regulations."
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

rmca wrote:
Muffo wrote:Thats interesting, does anyone know why Skanakers national record of 583 didnt stand as a world record then
Probably beacuse it wans't shot at an "Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cups, World Cup Finals, Continental Championships and Continental Games that have been conducted according to the ISSF Rules and Regulations."
Fair enough. A very odd rule tho that doesnt really fit in with the sporting world in general