10m air pistol advice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ricardopresto

10m air pistol advice

Post by ricardopresto »

Hi

Very new to 10m air pistol - 3 months, IZH 48M - and I find I can hold the sights aligned fine against a blank wall, but as soon as there's a target there it all goes wrong.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Richard
mctrucky

Re: 10m air pistol advice

Post by mctrucky »

Number 1 error in pistol shooting is not looking at the sights. Sounds like your eyes focus out to the target if there is something for them to focus on - so try shooting some blank cards and see if that helps.

Problem could be that your eyes wants to focus in front of the gun somewhere, and when shooting against a close up blank wall there is nothing for the eye to drift to. But as above, if there is a target or something visible several meters out, the eye automatically moves the focus point way from the front sight towards the further object - and if you are not focusing on the sight you are not going to shoot well.

If you do try to get some specs, be aware that the distance form the lens to the eye will alter the strength of the lens, so don't simply get a high street eye test and then buy the recommended lens and shooting glasses. It is best if you can play about with various lenses and find the one which gives you a comfortable relaxed focus on something the distance you eye is form your foresight. Your best bet may be to hunt down an optician who knows about shooting pistol (not rifle, clay pigeons, or wild buffalo). If you know other people with specs, try theirs - find out what works for you before you part with any drinking vouchers.

McT
v76

Post by v76 »

Ricardo, what happens when "it all goes wrong", exactly? Is there a defined group forming out of the black? Or do you have trouble holding the pistol to the bull? Or aligning the sights to the bull? Maybe showing us a few targets. What type of hold do you use? (6, sub 6, centre?)
ricardopresto

Post by ricardopresto »

Thanks guys. I don't THINK I'm letting my focus wander to the target (although it's difficult to say for certain). I think what's happening is that, with a blank wall, the arc of movement is happening but I'm not aware of it, so it isn't a problem. As soon as there's a target there, my brain's trying to do two things at once (ie. control arc of movement and align the sights) and can't do either properly.

I get the best results when I focus on alignment and ignore AoM, but it's a battle trying to trick my brain into ignoring it. If that makes sense.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

You are doing the right thing, keep focusing on the sights and ignore the wobble. The movement will get less through time but will never stop. If you let your eyes drift away from the sights the movement becomes less noticeable, you think you are shooting well - but the target tells you otherwise...

McT
v76

Post by v76 »

Add thin lines, small dots or markers on your wall. I use blu tack and sometimes targets to see what's really happening. Try/train one thing at a time and they will eventually make "sense" and all come together.

Also, here's a bit of reading material I've collected over the years... it will address your problems: http://tinyurl.com/AirPistolTraining
ricardopresto

Post by ricardopresto »

Cheers guys. And thanks for that link, v76, there's some great stuff there.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ricardopresto wrote:(ie. control arc of movement and align the sights)
There's very little you can do to control the movement TODAY. That is largely dependant on the work you have put in during previous weeks, months and years

That being the case, make sure that the sights are correctly aligned with each other and that you don't muck up that alignment when you release the trigger.
ricardopresto

Post by ricardopresto »

Thanks David. That's what I'm working on, just trying to ignore that movement and let it happen. Easier said than done sometimes, mind.
therider

Post by therider »

Ricardo,
When I dry fire against a white wall I usually do it close to a window with a black stone shelf which is about the right height. I shoot just to the right of and underneath the shelf edge, so that my brain is not distracted by "the target" and can concentrate on the sights, yet I can see the vertical and horizontal movement of the muzzle.
Last edited by therider on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ricardopresto

Post by ricardopresto »

Good advice. Thank you.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Hello Ricardo. Often when this happens it is as a result of trying too hard to produce the perfect shot when faced by the reality of a small target and wobble that seems like we might be in the early stages of Parkinson's. On a blank background there are no reference points and all seems fine, however when presented with the small target and a defined aiming area our wobble seems greater than would be possible to produce a good result. It often overpowers new shooters and confidence that we can excel falls to an all time low.
As others have mentioned stay true to practising technique and also stay true to the belief that controlling wobble is far less important than retaining sight alignment and continuing trigger press until shot release will hopefully be a surprise, at which time composure is regained by follow through.
If this approach is practised confidence will rise along with your scores.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It can also be a perception thing, the movement is the same, it just looks worse, but as others said, just keep training. Another thing you can try is to live fire on the back of a card as well as with it the normal way around. With the card back-to-front, you shouldn't lose the sights at all, and you will therefore keep concentrating on what matters.

Rob.
BobRI

Post by BobRI »

ricardopresto wrote:Thanks David. That's what I'm working on, just trying to ignore that movement and let it happen. Easier said than done sometimes, mind.
You might already know this, be sure your stance and grip naturally points your gun to the target. If you closed your eyes and point your pistol with the most comfortable position to your body, you should see your pistol pointing at the target when you open your eyes. If not, adjust your stance if you're not pointing to the right direction. Adjust your grip if you have to turn your wrist at all to align the sights. The sights should line up naturally when you have your wrist at the most comfortable angle, otherwise your sight alignment will tend to wander.
ricardopresto

Post by ricardopresto »

Thanks for the advice, guys. Really appreciate it.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

v76 wrote:Also, here's a bit of reading material I've collected over the years... it will address your problems: http://tinyurl.com/AirPistolTraining
What a fantastic resource. Thank you so much for sharing.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch