Squeeze the V and "heeling"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Squeeze the V and "heeling"

Post by toddinjax »

Hello all,
I'm back from an unplanned break from shooting AP, trying to get my technique back together. Two quick questions please.

Is it "correct" to squeeze, that is, apply a small bit of pressure at the V of the thumb and knuckle below the index? Also, what is to root cause of "heeling", giving high POI at 12:00? I suspect it's from too soft a grip and allowing all fingers to "flex" rather than the trigger finger alone. Any help offered greatly appreciated.
Todd.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

I experience high shots on a fairly regular basis. I've identified several causes for it it me:

- Mid-ranging: switching my focus from the front sight to the target just as the shot breaks, so my eye ends up focused somewhere between the two at the critical instant. The rule is "front sight, front sight, front sight!" but I used to mess this up far too often. I've pretty much fixed this now.
- Switching between "American style" and "European style" grip angles. If I forget to break the wrist enough I end up with the front sight elevated slightly and if I'm not paying enough attention to sight alignment I will make a good group but high.
- This also happens if I'm having problems keeping the front sight in focus with my aging eyes; I tend to "peep" the front sight up a tiny bit to make it easier to see without realizing it.
- Heeling can also be a result of anticipating the recoil. Either the wrist breaks up slightly to compensate or (in my case) the arm elevates from the shoulder. This shouldn't be much of a problem with air pistol IMO since the recoil is virtually non-existent.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

EdStevens wrote:- Heeling can also be a result of anticipating the recoil. Either the wrist breaks up slightly to compensate or (in my case) the arm elevates from the shoulder. This shouldn't be much of a problem with air pistol IMO since the recoil is virtually non-existent.
That has been a problem for me - anticipation and poor trigger control usually means the round will end up around 1 o'clock and too far from the center. While there is almost no shock or recoil with an AP, if you shoot regular pistols perhaps it is possible that you could be developing an anticipation problem there and bringing it back to the AP.

Roger
ponpon7

Post by ponpon7 »

EdStevens wrote: - Switching between "American style" and "European style" grip angles. If I forget to break the wrist enough I end up with the front sight elevated slightly and if I'm not paying enough attention to sight alignment I will make a good group but high.
Hello EdStevens,

What is the difference between American and European Style grip angles?

Does it mean tilted angle?

Thanks.
EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

ponpon7 wrote: Hello EdStevens,

What is the difference between American and European Style grip angles?

Does it mean tilted angle?

Thanks.
Exactly. American guns (Model 41, 1911, etc.) tend to place the wrist in a more neutral, upright posture, whereas European guns (Walther, Hammerli, etc.) force the wrist into a more downward-pointing posture. The European grip angle tends to be more rigid and is generally preferable for most shooters. My point is that if you've been shooting guns with the more upright grip for a while, there can be a tendency to assume that wrist angle unconsciously, sending shots high.
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

I don't mean to detract from initial question but all my groupings land just left of the centre disc - middle shot being on the 9, few on the 10 and some on the 8. I deduced (last night that it has to be trigger as I've adjusted the rear sight as much as it can go to the right. I read comments in 'shooters' lounge' before this "to lock focus on top of front sight and keep it there with peripheral vision maintaining sight alignment". I tried this earlier and bloody hell it works, I've got a few pulls but I think that is down to excitement as for the first time I was controlling the trigger - to keep sight alignment.

Tom