50 Meter Free Pistol / mechanical vs. electric

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ghillieman

50 Meter Free Pistol / mechanical vs. electric

Post by ghillieman »

I would like to know everyone's opinion on mechanical vs. electric firing mechanisms for 50 Meter Free Pistols.

Pro vs. Con, personal experiences, preferences, advice, warnings.

Thanks in advance.
slofyr

Re: 50 Meter Free Pistol / mechanical vs. electric

Post by slofyr »

Just because it is possible to incorporate an electronic pressure switch into a sear mechanism does not necessarily mean it is a justifiable improvement. I've shot the 84e and did not have an epiphany. Its trigger is supposed to have an improved feel and consistent release, but the reality [for me] is that a 40 gram release with an electronic trigger feels the same as a 40 gram mechanical release.

The various mechanical Hammerli and TOZ pistols I've had during the past 35 years have never let me down. Some were heavily used second-hand pistols, but they still functioned perfectly. I doubt that kind of longevity can be expected with an electronic pistol because there are few things that age as quickly as obsolete electronics. There was a guy on the line a month back whose day ended because his Morini battery went flat. Freak occurrence, yes, but it will never happen with a mechanical pistol. If you are mechanically inclined and something goes awry with your mechanical pistol there is a good chance you can diagnose and adjust it, but you probably won't have the same positive experience with a printed circuit board.

An electronic trigger will not make you a champion, dedication and evolved skill does that. People are often like sheep and tend to follow and emulate a leader. A common way to market a product is to put it in the hands of a high profile champ. Leaders in the 50-meter game shoot impressive scores and if they are seen holding a pistol with an electronic trigger, then that must be the secret, eh? It's all about name recognition and is a bit of a con job, but it works to generate sales.
titosuriantho

Post by titosuriantho »

Hi, I have morini free pistol cm84e, My question is what is the cause if Batrei on and when the triger is pulled but it did not work, and Batrei been replaced by new, it is often the case?
Thank you

Me
Leutenant Colonel Tito Suriantho
Indonesian Armed Forces
David M

Post by David M »

titosuriantho wrote:Hi, I have morini free pistol cm84e, My question is what is the cause if Batrei on and when the triger is pulled but it did not work, and Batrei been replaced by new, it is often the case?
If you shoot a Morini 84e, then part of you match plan is to test the battery by pushing the test button and dry firing. Note the recovery time of the light (1-2sec).
If the recovery is slow then replace the battery.
Also part of the match plan is to have a spare new battery in your shooting kit.
In 25yrs the Morini 84e only let me down once at a big competition (broken firing pin) and I had a backup pistol with me.
6string

Post by 6string »

This is a great question. There are a number of older threads on this site that have explored the topic that perhaps you may not be aware of. I would suggest using the search feature to look up the topic, and also do searches on some of the electronic free pistols such as Hammerli 152 & 162, Morini, Franklin Green free pistol, and the Walther FP. All told, there is a wealth of info here that has filled up many threads. I think you'll enjoy what you find.
One of my favorite related topics is that of the Walther electronic FP. The circuitry was notoriously unreliable and Walther basically abandoned their customers. But, in the end, through persistence and cleverness someone developed a replacement circuit and freely shared it with everyone here that wanted it. So, there is much of value waiting for anyone who cares to dig a bit!

Nonetheless, maybe there is some new info that will come up by revisiting this interesting topic.

Best Regards,
Jim

Post by 3006 »

The primary quoted advantage of electronic triggers over mechanical is reduced lock time. Which, if true, must be an advantage in 50m Pistol!

The primary quoted disadvantage of electronic triggers over mechanical is that electronic is less reliable. Of course there are many examples to confirm this to be true.

Personally I have owned a Hammerli 162 electronic since new in 1994 and it is still perfectly reliable and a joy to shoot. Maybe I have just been lucky, I prefer to believe proper maintenance is the reason for a lack of issues. This includes ensuring no oil or dirt is allowed to accumulate around the solenoid and keeping the battery terminals clean, not too onerous.

At the time I purchased the 162, I had been shooting a Hammerli 103 with a mechanical trigger. I believed the electronic trigger would improve my scores, which I still believe. However to date my PB is still with the 103. I put that down to the shooter, not the 162. I do much prefer shooting the 162 over the 103, but I wish I hadn't sold the 103. Or maybe I should have purchased a 160 in the first place, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Anyway the moral of the story is; not all electronic triggers are unreliable!
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi!
I hope I can clarify in case my previous point might have implied a denigration of electronic triggers.
Similarly, I have owned a Hammerli 152 and found to also be quite reliable. As pointed out, proper maintenance is helpful. (Electronics tend to work best in any application when kept clean and dry.)
The anecdote about the Walther FP was more about underscoring the value of this forum and the it's vast archive of informational wealth.
Actually, while on this general topic, there is some fascinating info here concerning the Franklin Green electronic free pistol made by Electroarms.

In closing, nice point about the Hammerli 103. The 100 series, especially the old ones,are wonderful! But,more importantly, FP is supreme challenge to the shooter. A high score, especially, a personal best, is always a testimony to the shooter.
conradin

Post by conradin »

It really is up to how you like the feel. Electronic trigger has been around for a long time (some 60+ years), so it is not something that is considered ground breaking.
However, if you look at recent results, electronic trigger free pistol has won both major championships (Olympics and Worlds) since 2000. At the recent final in Granada we have 6 Morini, 1 Hammerli and 1 Toz. Notice that the FP60 (Pang Wei) won the bronze.
If an electronic trigger pistol fails, you essentially need to find a replacement circuit board, which can be difficult if you pistol is no longer in production, even if the company is still doing well. On the other hand, if your mechanical trigger free pistol fails, very few people can repair the trigger as the amount of sears link together are mind boggling. Even if you can find a gunsmith qualified to do the work, it may be a long wait, can easily up to a year of waiting period.