F'in' M 41

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Rover

F'in' M 41

Post by Rover »

With the .22 shortage, I have been using whatever I could get; always an upgrade from the cheapie CCI Standard blue box.

I tried to accommodate whatever ammo I used with recoil spring changes. Nothing was completely alibi free.

Since "stovepipes" are the most difficult to clear with a M41, I said the hell with it and took a hacksaw to the rear sight extension. I cleaned it up with a file then rearranged the red dot mounts. (two on the front).

I did a perfect job if I say so myself, and I'll use my other barrel if I need iron sights.

And so it goes...
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Midway usa has cci sv paper box 39.95 a brick but limit one
waxman

Post by waxman »

Rover

Post by Rover »

I just bought a case of Eley Sport with some Norma mixed in from Champion Shooters Supply.

We'll see when it gets here, but the scarce RWS Target Rifle worked well when I had some.

BTW It doesn't appear there's much interest in M41s.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

In the St. Louis Bullseye group, the 41 is surely the most popular pistol there is. If you have continual problems with your 41, have a smith look at your extractor. It has to be hand fitted to a gun or it will require more recoil to make the gun function properly.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Rover wrote:I just bought a case of Eley Sport with some Norma mixed in from Champion Shooters Supply.

We'll see when it gets here, but the scarce RWS Target Rifle worked well when I had some.

BTW It doesn't appear there's much interest in M41s.
Rover;
I personally like the 41. When set up properly, I think it is equivalent to the Hammerli. But out of the box, it's like taking a stock Chevy to Nascar.. Everything needs work.. I never used the factory barrels.. to tight. Many have a bore diameter of .214 and the land to groove ratio is terrible. Often the ejector needs welded and re fit as does the extractor. Serious .22 target work requires a custom chamber to compliment match ammo. I have sectioned/dissected every .22 barrel I could find to examine the interior. The only true .22 match barrel made in the US was the High Standard.
Jerry
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Most 41's, Ruger 1's 2's and likely 3's, or High standards will shoot around 1 inch at 50 yards with the right ammunition (gun dependent on which ammo) and that is pretty close to as good as the ammo is capable. I have a Clark barrel on one of my 41's and I don't think it is any improvement other than I like the scope grooves on top because I can put my dot where I want it.

Over the years, I have noticed that most stock triggers are excellent and only a very few needed work. I have seen a lot that won't handle SV unless the extractor is worked on but once that is done properly, it is one of the most reliable guns I have seen, to the point that if an alibi occurs, it is the round or excessive dirt at fault. Two new shooters that bought recently got guns that were considered just fine by shooters that are well experienced. Both settled on CCI SV.

All this being said, I shoot my Benelli better than either of my 41's and it is lucky to shoot 2 inches at 50 but fit is quite important to an individual.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've been shooting the same M41 for 30 years, so I have a handle on its quirks. I'm always learning, though. I'd be using CCI SV if I could get some.

I'll find out in the morning how my "hacksaw" job worked.
Peter B

Victor

Post by Peter B »

The High Standards must have been ahead of their times. Now have the barrel milled to accept the scope rings. No need for a rail and the scope sits lower, worked good on my Victor.
Rover

Post by Rover »

OK It's next day and I shot over 20 sighters (remounting the Red dot required a large sight change), and 180 shots in matches with the 41.

The Eley Sport was completely useless. About half the time there was a failure to extract. I already sold two bricks of it to get rid of it.

I then shot the 180 match shots with three different brands of ammo using a six pound recoil spring; Wolf Match Target, Norma Tac 22, and Lapua Center X (very fine with high X-counts, but spendy). There was no malfunction of any kind.

I had occasional hard to clear stovepipes in the past, but not one today, so I'm thinking my modification MAY be helpful.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Rover;

You remember when I was shooting a M41 before I went to a Marvel conversion.

I had the occasional stove pipes and casing trapping.

Bought a Clark Custom barrel without the sight extension and mounted the red dot with both rings on the front so the scope would still be in the same location.

Never had another malfunction after that.
Sold the original barrel to cover more than half the cost of the new one.

At least you are making progress.

Clarence
Rover

Post by Rover »

Clarence, looking at your Clark barrel is what gave me the idea to saw off the sight extension in the first place. We'll see if it is the solution to the stovepipe problem. You know how slow they are to clear on the 41.

Another 900 today with no bobbles. That's 270 shots without a malfunction.

And so it goes.

BTW If any are having problems, there might be some help here:

http://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm

Scroll to the bottom for extractor issues.
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Rover wrote:I've been shooting the same M41 for 30 years, so I have a handle on its quirks. I'm always learning, though. I'd be using CCI SV if I could get some.
Rover, a bit high but they have it in 500 bricks, unlimited.

http://www.smokeymountainmunitions.com/ ... lick=17909
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks for the tip, but I managed to find a cheaper local source a couple of days ago.
Rover

Post by Rover »

OK Here's a follow-up on this whole business. I tried some Eley Club and it had frequent failure to extract so traded it off for some Wolf Target. I played with several other brands and all have worked perfectly. I have had only one alibi and that was due to dud round (CCI).

I have now put well over 1000 rounds of varying brands through the gun with no problem. Whatever was wrong has been completely cured by my modification. I have a case of CCI blue box coming, too.