Kurt Thuune vs Hi-Tec Jacket

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bryan996

Kurt Thuune vs Hi-Tec Jacket

Post by Bryan996 »

I need to ask for help again!

After nearly wearing out my Gehmann jacket in less than a year I need to buy a decent made to measure jacket that wont slid across my sholders. I have a budget of around £500 to £600 and will be using it for prone only (at the moment).

I've narrowed my choice down to a Kurt Thune Smart or a Hi-Tec Evomix jacket, however due to the lack of ability to try on or compare I would like to ask for any feedback on either of these jackets.

I've had canvas jackets and understand these hence the Kurt Thune, however a lot of people seem to have Hi-Tec jackets but I've heard mixed things about them. One person has told me they thought the plastic type material was too stiff.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

My daughter just got the Hi-Tex suit (evotop) and she's very happy with it. We are going to Ft Benning this month so this will be the first time she's gone through the equipment test. I was at the JO's and I don't recall any hi-tex suits not passing the stiffness test (but may have needed some extra work to get them to pass).

I do know a couple of people who ordered Hi=Tex suits and had to return the pants because they were not correctly made to measure.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

In respect was your Gehmann worn out? I wouldn't be surprised if the right elbow had worn a hole as I believe the Gehmann does not use top grip there or anywhere on the jacket. I had that experience with a cheap jacket and now have a Kurt Thune prone jacket, which has top grip everywhere and is all the better for it.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

You should have a chat with Pippa at Tenpointnine Tailoring - if you haven't already.

http://www.tenpointnine.com/contact/

You'll be going to her if you want a made to measure Hi-Tex jacket anyway...

K.
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

Hi guys

With my Gehmann I've worn through the grip in both elbows in only nine months (fairly easy to replace), one of the shoulder straps has torn off flush with the jacket (not so easy to fix) and it rides up during shooting. I'm hoping that a custom made jacket won't do this.

I have spoken to Pippa at Bisley last weekend whilst I was shooting and she raves about the hi-tec, but I'm a salesman too 😉. Interested to know what people's experiences are with these two jackets long term.

Thanks
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

I see that you have already spoken to Pippa. I know she is selling the Hi Tek kit, but she will work with you on getting almost anything to fit correctly. Pippa is one of those people who seem to be willing to go the extra mile to help you out. She has been really helpful to both my Daughter and several other junior shooters that I know.

From comparing what I have seen in Hi Tek and kit from the other major suppliers over the years I would say there that as far as buying in the UK is concerned the fact that Pippa will ensure that the fit of your jack complies with the ISSF rules from the get go makes it the obvious choice. I would not even rely on using a measuring service from another UK importer for getting a jacket "made to measure" from abroad. I know it was a while ago now but I had a Sauer jacket lade to measure back in the early 1990, and went down to Accuracy International who were then the UK representative to get measured for it. Back then it was over £300 so not a cheap jacket by any means, but I never though it fit that well, and I am sure I would have probably done better to save a few quid and got an off the peg jacket, as the fit would have probably been as good. Back then there was no one like Pippa who could sort things out for us though. Having spoken to people recently who have had similar, or worse, experiences buying supposedly made to measure kit I know where I will be spending any money on this type of kit in the future.

Alan
batty

Post by batty »

I got a hi-tex Jacket nearly three years ago and I found it too stiff to the point that is just woulnd't mould to my body. It was worst in the standing position, the bottom of the jacket would dig into the bottom of my legs.

I quickly changed back to my thune jacket but i've alays found that they ride up at the back

in January I got a Kusterman Monaco comfort and i've not looked back since it fits really well and does not ride up at all!!

And it came in about 6 weeks - that was made to measure... I asked for extra lee-way to be accounted for in my right shoulder so gave them another measurement and it came and fitted perfectly!