Front sight drops when pulling the trigger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
poogi

Front sight drops when pulling the trigger

Post by poogi »

So I'm having this problem,

I'm holding the pistol in the aiming area, sights are aligned and everything seems good. My arm and wrist seem neutral and balanced. So I start my trigger pull.

As soon as I start giving the trigger some pressure, the front sight starts to drop. I have to use my wrist to bring the front sight back up. It ends up being a fight between my trigger finger and my wrist. My trigger is probably set around 530g.

Any suggestions?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Sounds as though the grip doesn't fit quite right and the 'natural' position is for the gun to drop. You can try adjusting the gun / grip angle if it's something like a steyr that has screws in the frame around the grip.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Which match?
David M

Post by David M »

530g, its either Air or a very heavy Free trigger.
Solution will be in the grip as well as dry firing or blank target training to improve your trigger control.
Extreme fix......... learn to pull a 7-8 lb revolver double action trigger without foresight movement, then the light trigger will be easy.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

If you are moving your wrist at all during the shot, there is a problem. I get my best results when I move the gun from my shoulder.

Your description of what is happening makes me think that possibly you are tightening your lower fingers as you pull the trigger, which is pulling the front post down.
jliston48

Re: Front sight drops when pulling the trigger

Post by jliston48 »

poogi wrote:I have to use my wrist to bring the front sight back up.
Regardless of the event, your wrist must be immobilised (ie. not moving) during the aiming process. Some refer to this condition as a "locked" wrist - it is not locked but kept immobile by the muscles in your forearm. Free (50m) pistols achieve this immobilisation by having a grip angle such that the wrist is at the end of its extension so you can't push the front sight any lower. Your air pistol grips are obviously not set up to allow you this condition so unless you are able to change/modify your grips to allow this, you will have to learn to achieve this muscular immobilisation. Remember, though, if you change/modify your grips, the pistol must be able to fit into the box (400 x 200 x 50) for competitions.
As I see it, your task is to become competent in immobilising your wrist while causing your trigger finger to operate independently of your grip.
As mentioned by others, dry firing will go a long way to helping you to achieve this.
Like your stance, position and breath control, grip is a static "set-and-forget" element for each shot or series so you have only to concentrate on the dynamic elements of sight alignment and trigger control in the final lead-up to the shot breaking.