Hammerli sp20 quietly slips into oblivion.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

Hammerli sp20 quietly slips into oblivion.

Post by deadeyedick »

Does anyone know why Walther have stopped production of the Hammerli SP20 in .22 and .32 calibre?
Leon

Post by Leon »

I suspect so they could concentrate on the SSP / SSP-E line.

No great loss really, ever since manufacture was switched from Switzerland, the SP20 has suffered a decline in quality and reliability....
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Where is Ulrich Eichstadt when you need clarification of such questions ?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Waht could he say, except that yes, Walther decided to scrap the best target pistol trigger in existence for a few sales of an ancient and overestimated GSP design?
j-team

Post by j-team »

Tycho wrote:Waht could he say, except that yes, Walther decided to scrap the best target pistol trigger in existence for a few sales of an ancient and overestimated GSP design?
Or, to put it another way, it costs much more to make the Hammerli 280/SP20 trigger with lots of small well made parts than it does to make the GSP trigger with a few crude castings and grub screws!
David M

Post by David M »

Leon wrote:No great loss really, ever since manufacture was switched from Switzerland, the SP20 has suffered a decline in quality and reliability....
I wonder what you basing this on, as I have not seen any changes since Hammerli was making the 280, up to the last SP20 RRS ?
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

j-team wrote:
Tycho wrote:Waht could he say, except that yes, Walther decided to scrap the best target pistol trigger in existence for a few sales of an ancient and overestimated GSP design?
Or, to put it another way, it costs much more to make the Hammerli 280/SP20 trigger with lots of small well made parts than it does to make the GSP trigger with a few crude castings and grub screws!
I will admit I have never fired a 280 nor an SP20, but just what is the complaint about the modern GSP 2-stage trigger? I've fired my share of decent scores with it.
David M

Post by David M »

I had a big problem with a early GSP Expert (late '90-early 2000) the trigger was poorly made, lots of trigger side play and movement, difficult to keep a sear setting, horrible to adjust and inconsistant feel.
Walther replaced it at a World Cup but the new trigger was worse.
Finally traced the main problem to the cones of the set screws being ground off centre, giving a non linear adjustments.
Trigger still rattled so I sold the pistol.
j-team

Post by j-team »

john bickar wrote: I will admit I have never fired a 280 nor an SP20, but just what is the complaint about the modern GSP 2-stage trigger? I've fired my share of decent scores with it.
Tiny movements of the coned screws are needed to make fine adjustments (lots of trial and error), and then once adjusted, not holding the settings, so having to be constantly re-adjusted. The first version of the 2 stage trigger was made from an aluminium extrusion screwed to a piece of brass, that one was worst of all (movement between the two pieces). The second version that was in a one piece steel frame was better.

I had 2 GSP .32cal pistols from 1988-2006 and despite the "less that ideal" triggers, I also shot my best CF scores with them!