Moving the feet in standing

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Johan_85

Moving the feet in standing

Post by Johan_85 »

What happens when you move only the right foot (right handed shooter) in standing?

For me it feels like the biggest change is in my balance and therefore small adjustments in my natural point of aim is possible. If the aiming mark is outside the front aperture then I must adjust both feet so I don't change my position too much.

How have you determined the position of the feet, best balance? hip position?

I have my left foot positioned so my arch under the foot is on a line from the center of the target.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would suggest you need to determine your optimal foot and body position as an iterative process, with a good coach. Once you've found it, write and record the details, and then train it so that it's ingrained. There are of course many books that cover the process - eg ways of the rifle, but certainly in setting up the position, I'd personally be looking for a coach.

Rob.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Okay maybe my question was misunderstood. I was just curious at what happens for other people when they change the position of their feet and how they have built their position.

I personally look for a coach, have done for a couple of years now and no luck in finding one in my country that I live in. I have looked in neighbouring countries but the ones I found they where busy at least to after the world championships.

Going to MEC in Germany is an option but it is a little to expensive at the moment.

The problem with a short visit to a coach is that it's hard to do what they tell you when you get back home because you don't notice the small errors that creep in.

If I manage to reach a level where I qualify for the national team then I can get help from a coach.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It might help if you lose this "Natural Point of Aim" nonsense. This is a concept strictly for rifle shooters.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Rover he IS a rifle shooter.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

And posting in the Rifle Forum.
Rover

Post by Rover »

DOH! At least I confirmed his idea.
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

gwsb wrote:Rover he IS a rifle shooter.
Tim S wrote:And posting in the Rifle Forum.
Hihi, Shooting is Fun!

Regards from the home of shooting

Frank
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

To answer the question: for a right handed shooter when moving the right foot toward the target you should have a lower NPA, and higher when moving away from the target. Moving the right foot forward would move NPA to the left, and vice-versa. ALL these are small movements (perhaps 1cm), not larger movements, to maintain original balance.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Johan_85 wrote:
Going to MEC in Germany is an option but it is a little to expensive at the moment.

Well worth what ever it costs you, you will learn so much in a short time.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

RobinC wrote: Well worth what ever it costs you, you will learn so much in a short time.
It sounds like you have been there? Can you write something about this experience?
Andre

Post by Andre »

Rover wrote:It might help if you lose this "Natural Point of Aim" nonsense. This is a concept strictly for rifle shooters.
NPA is a good thing for pistol too.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Johan_85 wrote:
RobinC wrote: Well worth what ever it costs you, you will learn so much in a short time.
It sounds like you have been there? Can you write something about this experience?
Hi Johan
My wife was GB squad in the days of Malcolm and Sarah Cooper, now she just shoots for fun in air, 50 mt and 300mt, but she wants to do the best she can.
We have been twice, both with air rifle, the first time she had a day with Maik where he worked on fine tune of her position and stability, the smallest little things that did really help.
The second time she had an afternoon with Heinz, this was dramatic. She was really nervious, (the great Reinkemieir!) but it was a hilarious fun experience, they are so laid back. He worked on things which of course she knew but with a different emphasis, amongst other things they spent hours on the detail of her follow through, studying the scatt in detail, it was both fascinating and very productive. She has shot better and more consistant ever since. And remarkably at 63 has beaten her PB air rifle from many years ago.
Its very difficult to pin down one area, I sat and watched and wrote pages of notes which I use regularly in coaching.
I can heartily recomend the experience.
Good shooting
Robin
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

RobinC wrote: Hi Johan
My wife was GB squad in the days of Malcolm and Sarah Cooper, now she just shoots for fun in air, 50 mt and 300mt, but she wants to do the best she can.
We have been twice, both with air rifle, the first time she had a day with Maik where he worked on fine tune of her position and stability, the smallest little things that did really help.
The second time she had an afternoon with Heinz, this was dramatic. She was really nervious, (the great Reinkemieir!) but it was a hilarious fun experience, they are so laid back. He worked on things which of course she knew but with a different emphasis, amongst other things they spent hours on the detail of her follow through, studying the scatt in detail, it was both fascinating and very productive. She has shot better and more consistant ever since. And remarkably at 63 has beaten her PB air rifle from many years ago.
Its very difficult to pin down one area, I sat and watched and wrote pages of notes which I use regularly in coaching.
I can heartily recomend the experience.
Good shooting
Robin
It really sounds like it was worth it.

I have had some ideas to be there 3-4 days mixed with training on my own and with some of the instructors.

How would you recommend to do if you had 3-4 full days there?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Johan_85 wrote:

It really sounds like it was worth it.

I have had some ideas to be there 3-4 days mixed with training on my own and with some of the instructors.

How would you recommend to do if you had 3-4 full days there?
Phone Maik and talk to him about what you would like to get out of it and the time you have.
Robin
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Johan no one can tell you where to put your feet in standing on an online forum. Only seeing you in person can a coach help with that.

As to NPA, it is of course hyper-critical in standing as in all precision shooting disciplines. The slightest movement of one or both feet makes a large difference in aim.

If you are shooting on single bull machines you should find your npa and don't move your feet until you are through. Here in the US a lot of indoor shooting is done on 12 bull targets (2 sighter bulls and 10 record bulls). On those targets a shooter must move the feet every time you go to a new row to maintain the proper aim. And the movement is so small an observer might not even notice you moving your feet.