Anschutz 2213 stock - anyone else experienced this...?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KennyB

Anschutz 2213 stock - anyone else experienced this...?

Post by KennyB »

I have been lent a 2213 stock for round actions with a view to buying it - I spent an evening with SCATT setting it up to my satisfaction with good hold, triggering and aim. My good barrel installed and torqued up to 6.5Nm as I believe is recommended by Anschutz.

Took it to the range yesterday and it didn't shoot well...
So I started backing off the bedding bolt torque and when I got down to 3.5Nm it started to come together but still not what I was hoping for.

So I took the action off and had a look at the bedding area but what I noticed was a couple of marks at the back of the trigger cutout where the action was in contact with the aluminium close to the tang
This can't be right can it?

Has anyone else experienced this? It seems like some machining/filing is required to stop the rear of the receiver binding.

Also the trigger blade is binding on the trigger guard, so I'd have to cut that down too...

BTW I'm using a 16 series action which I've assumed are dimensionally the same as 18 and 19 series actions.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ken,

do you mean that the rear face of the tang was in contact with the stock? I suppose that if the action didn't fit properly, the tang could be udner stress or acting as a recoil lug.

I have read that when bedding a Match 54, the tang should not be bedded; although I have two stocks bedded for Match 54s (an 1811, and a home-made job I picked up at Bisley last year), and both are bedded around the tang.

I'm not sure 16xx actions are exactly the same as 18xx/19xx. When I swapped my '79 1613 for a 1980 1813 (with X sn), I had the fettle mt Gemini around the bolt hand slot to avoid binding.
Martin Catley

16 Action

Post by Martin Catley »

Had something very much the same one side of the action was bearing hard on the Alu behind the Bolt slot. It had to be relieved quite a lot from the Bolt slot back to the Tang. The Action seems to be sitting well in the bedded area but not clear behind it.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Thanks Martin, not just this one then...

Some pics:

You might be able to make out the little nib in the second photo...

There also is some marking in the tang area but I can get a piece of paper between the tang and the stock. Whether I would still be able to after easing the sides is another matter.

The bedding job on my wood stock includes the tang.

Ken.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Kenny,

could the marks come from one of the trigger cross pins?

I have a similar age Anschutz, and recently found that the pins fouled on a new stock. Once the pin was filed slightly (and glued back into place), the action went in properly.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Hi Tim, I don't think it's a trigger issue.
Here's another pic which hopefully shows the action binding between the bolt handle cutout and the tang:

While the action was in I ran a piece of paper around the tang to check for clearance and it binds on the left side (handle side).
It also is binding between the safety cutout and the tang but that's more difficult to photograph.

The killer one is the tang binding - I reckon that might have to be milled whereas the sides of the stock could probably be filed to relieve the contact.

Either way, I'm unlikely to buy the stock unless it shoots, it won't shoot until it's relieved, and I cant relieve it without buying it... So Catch 22.

The previous owner had good results with it but she was using a more recent action (18 or 19 series) and standard torque on the bolts.

Weird and disappointing.

Ken.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I see, no it's not a trigger issue. The action is fouling just before the tang tapers. I can't quite see from the photos, but it looks as if the stock inletting becomes narrower just there the action is sticking.

I appreciate your predicament; the stock may shoot just fine once the inletting has been touched up, but is it a gamble you want to take?
mgbdietrich

I have one

Post by mgbdietrich »

I received one of the first sold in the US back in 99, it came with a 1913. I never had these issues, but I did bed the action and took the rubber bedding material out.

I shot excellent for many years that way, light torque- about 27in lbs after bedding. You are right, with the neoprene like bedding material you usually have better luck at higher torques.

I would not worry if the stock will shoot or not- It will shoot just fine. The more important issue is if you thought it was comfortable to you and a step up from what you currently use.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Hi Kenny
My early 2213 stock was exactly the same, it touched the trigger and tang down the back. I cleared it out with a die grinder and no more problem.
I have also seen it with another later 2213 stock too. Obviously a fault in the casting design.
I use 6.5Nm with the rubber/aluminium gasket material and it works well.
Cheers
Martin H
kevin nevius

Post by kevin nevius »

Ken:

A good friend of mine (Paul Gideon) sent me a note to read this thread, he told me I might find it interesting (mostly because he likes to torment me!! LOL)

Okay.....so I am looking at the pictures, and I realize that you have something I have longed for FOR YEARS..........a blued 2000 series Anschutz action! Those actions (at least in the states) are super duper rare. Like pigs flying rare!

Please tell me you do not have one of these?!?

Honestly, I saw one in the states years ago......I am not sure, but I think they only made a few at the beginning of the production run (I could be mistaken). I have looked for years though.......that's a fact!

PS....I have never experienced the contact you mention, but the first generation aluminum stocks were known to require a little "rework" to get the most from them. They do shoot well though.......all of the ones I tested responded best to low bedding screw torque values (like in the 2.5 to 3nm range) for what it's worth.

All the best!

kev
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Hi Kevin, nice to hear from you. I'm glad you survived the winter - from what I could tell it seemed pretty grim in your part of the world.

I remember meeting Paul at Perry last year and particularly his use of the term "mind bomb" - which I think he's dropped on you...

Unfortunately this is not the action you are looking for. It's a round action 16 series with a soon to be replaced barrel. (something I was considering dropping you a line to pick your brains about..).
I remember you saying somewhere that the blued 20 series action was on your "want to own" list - I must admit that I've never seen one myself.

Knowing that others have had to do some work on these stocks is reassuring - in the back of my mind is the worry about how the cast stock have a reputation for breaking. This one is a later one with a screw in accessory rail which I believe is reputed to a more robust casting.

I think Mr Dietrich's observation about "is it a step up from what I'm currently using" is very pertinent.

Anyway, good luck with your quest.

Cheers,
Ken.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Kevin,

I believe that Nick Mowrer has a blued 2013, at least he did in the photos from the recent Fort Benning World Cup. I'm not sure he'd want to sell though (he seems awfully large, so I'm wouldn't try brute force either).

I have an Anschutz advert somewhere at home that advertises nickel-plating as "new for '92" (or was it '93?).