Trigger Question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ScottSimmonds

Trigger Question

Post by ScottSimmonds »

This morning dry firing...

Occurred to me that I was smoothly moving the trigger straight back until the trigger broke.

Started pulling through the break - all the way to the trigger end-travel and seemed to notice an improvement in performance.

Obviously the trigger motion is smooth, continuous and to the rear so that the sight alignment is not disturbed. Also dont want hitting the end of the trigger travel to disturb follow-through.

Seemed like what I was doing was the equivalent of a boxer punching to the bag - when you should punch through the bag.

Perhaps the difference between a Karate chop to the board vs through the board.

Comments?
RJP

Post by RJP »

This is called "follow through".

Keep the sights aligned on the target during follow through and you will have no problem.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Exactly, you pull through the break, ignoring it.

Most people will tell you you must have a super-crisp clean break trigger, because they're 'more precise'.

Its an awful lot easier to use a roll-off trigger, but then many experts would be wrong.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

JamesH wrote:Exactly, you pull through the break, ignoring it.

Most people will tell you you must have a super-crisp clean break trigger, because they're 'more precise'.

Its an awful lot easier to use a roll-off trigger, but then many experts would be wrong.
I am a big believer in a medium roll, for trigger training. It teaches you better triggering. If your finger stops moving, you can feel it. It seems comparatively easy to go from a roll to a crisp trigger in slow fire.

In sustained fire, occasionally under stress, I will have issues resetting a crisp trigger, but a lot of that seems to be mental.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

Scott, I believe you have found the best technique to combat the dreaded
"chicken finger". Being assertive on the trigger or if you like aggressive on the trigger is the feel you are after. Good for you! You might be on the way to some major improvements in scores.
If you search the pilkguns articles, there is an article called "Don't be a Chicken". Describes what you have discovered.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dr.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Isabel1130 wrote:
JamesH wrote:Exactly, you pull through the break, ignoring it.

I am a big believer in a medium roll, for trigger training. It teaches you better triggering. If your finger stops moving, you can feel it. It seems comparatively easy to go from a roll to a crisp trigger in slow fire.

In sustained fire, occasionally under stress, I will have issues resetting a crisp trigger, but a lot of that seems to be mental.
OK, a clean break trigger is better, in theory and/or if you're a god.

In practice they're hard to master, I like training with a double-action revolver, and making newbies do the same - its easy to watch the hammer moving.
ScottSimmonds

Post by ScottSimmonds »

Dr Lee. Thanks for the article tip.

For others, here is the link http://www.pilkguns.com/c5.shtml

I'm trying to break the shot into its component parts and working on drills to improve each - then combine. All dry-fire now.