Relatively new shooter help

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

darkwings

Relatively new shooter help

Post by darkwings »

I've been shooting air sporter at my high school since November of last year and I'm really enjoying it. I've been interested in getting a precision air rifle for .117 and a competitive smallbore rifle. As far as .117, I've narrowed it down to a Feinwerkbau 800 X and an Anshütz 9003 or 8002. Which would you guys recommend between those (or another one if you think it's just as good)? Also, I'm relatively clueless on which smallbore to get, but I do know that I want to start shooting .22 next school year. What would you guys recommend if money isn't an issue for a smallbore rifle that fits ISSF guidelines? If it helps at all, I shoot left-handed.

EDIT: The .117 would be for 10m and the .22 would be for 30m
metalsmith

Post by metalsmith »

Well, everyone's circumstances are different. I say would buy the best you can AFFORD! When your skill grows past that point trade it in and buy the best you can afford.

I have shooters going to JO try outs with a 747 air pistol, and shoot it very very well.

Attitude, focus, and determination count more then the tools.
markwarren

Post by markwarren »

Hi,

As metalsmith states, it is a very individual choice. If you can go and try them. Also consider the Walther LG400 Alutec or Anatomic. All of the rifles mentioned will outshoot you and most shooters. It is the feel, the trigger mech, the loading process, the balancec etc that will effect which you prefer. Also take in to consideration where to get it serviced if something goes wrong. Do you have a dealer close to you who is authorised service agent for one or more of the makes mentioned.

With regard to the .22 rifle, I am just in the process of buying one for my kids to use. Walther seem to have an extremely good reputation in this field and I am looking at a Walther KK300 Alutec for them. Again, all of the comments above are relevant.

Just my 2p worth.

Good shooting

Mark
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

For the smallbore, you can't really go wrong with Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther. There are other brands, but these are likely to be too expensive (Bleiker, Grunig & Elmiger) for a beginner, or a little too old.
Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, and Walther rifles are mechanically similar, but have their own characteristics. As with the air rifle, it's best to try each before you buy, as the differences in weight, balance, and shape, can make a difference to your performance.

I'd recommend a Free rifle (i.e. Anschutz 1913) over a Standard rifle (i.e. Anschutz 1907). The Free rifle has a more complex stock that will offer a better fit, and a more comfortable shooting position than the Standard rifle. If you are a large male (or male, and growing large), think about the heavy 1913 barrel, but if you are female, or a slimmer male, the lighter 1907 barrel (in a Freee rifle stock) may be more comfortable.

You may want to look for a used rifle in good condition. .22 barrels last a long time (although not for ever); a used rifle that has a little used barrel (that has been well maintained) would be just fine. Anschutz are much more common used than Feinwerkbau or Walther. An older Anschutz 1913, or 1813 (the 1980s predecessor of the 1913) or older Anschutz 1613 or 1413, would be a big saving over a new rifle, but still opffer more than enough accuracy for the beginner/intermediate/aspiring shooter. Anschutz rifles are pretty modular, so sights, and buttplates, can be upgraded very easily as funds allow; even a complete change of stock can be done in a few minutes. Should the barrel lose accuracy through use, a competent gunsmith can fit your choice of match grade barrel to the action.
justadude

Post by justadude »

darkwings,

A little background would be helpful in making suggestions.

First, with the reference to sporter air I assume you are in the US.

Next, what is your budget? I bought my FWB 800 about 18 months ago and the pricetag was north of $3000. Consider also that if you are going to become involved in precision that you will want a coat and glove and possibly a scope. If you are going to be shooting 3P ad a mat and sling. You see where I am going with this is you might need to examine your wants with the size of your budget.

For air rifles FWB, Anschutz and Walther are all good rifles. I personally favor FWB but have been shooting FWB since the 1980s so I have brand allegiance and am biased.

For smallbore, as others have already noted the mainstream brands Anschutz, Walther and FWB are all excellent rifles. In the US Anschutz is the dominant brand so if you need parts or service it can be easier for an Anschutz than others. From discussion, the Walther likely has the best trigger out there right now but at your level that likely would not make any difference.

As noted, these rifles are pretty modular so it is easy to mix and match as you progress. Tim S and I differ a bit on recommendations for the first rifle. If you have access to an experienced coach that knows how to set up a free rifle then a 1913 or one if its ancestors is fine. If you are working largely by yourself or do not have regular access to coaching then the simpler 1907 might be the way to go. The simple reason, if you are new to the game there are too many adjustments on a 1913 and you can get the rifle working against you.

This is also a budget thing, a brand new 1913 or 1907 with sights an a few accessories is going to be $2750 to $3500 depending on exactly what you get. There are good used rifles out there for much less money that will serve you very well while you get started.

One other thing to point out, is that the used equipment holds it value pretty well so as you move up it is generally pretty easy to get your money out of equipment you are not using anymore.

Good Luck
'Dude

PS the caliber on an air rifle is .177 not .117 : )
Andre

Post by Andre »

I'm 14 y/o, 5' 6-7" and 105 pounds. I have an Anschutz 1907 in a 1914 stock,
and it weighs 11 pounds with a custom sight extension tube. To be honest, for the average shooter my size it would be too heavy. But I have been shooting for a few years and prefer a heavier rifle than what it is now.

I would recommend a Anschutz 1907 for someone who needs a lighter rifle, and when you out grow the 1907 stock you can move to the 1914 stock.

I shot a 1100, and a 1104 in Camp Perry with the stock 1907 action (didn't have a sight extension tube then) and I know it could out shoot me any day, even without bedding.

So yes, I recommend the 1907 and it's variants. As for a precision air rifle, you cant to wrong with an Anschutz or a FWB. I just shot regionals in precision at Perry and shot a 581 and 582 with a stock FWB 700 junior.
So an Anschutz or FWB will out shoot anybody, even a cheaper club gun might put you in the 590 range if you do your part!
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

For air, I really like my Walther LG400 with aluminum stock. It is very adjustable for length and weight (as you grow). I also have the Precise 9003 and I really think the Walther is mechanically better. Fit and feel would trump the choice. I don't think you can make a bad choice with the top brands.