LP50 question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
fasride

LP50 question

Post by fasride »

I am a 71 year old retired male. I have been an avid pistol shooter and competitor a good part of my life. My current target pistols are FWB 80, IZH 46M, and HW75. I have a 10 meter range in my house and shoot daily.

I want to add a high end PCP 10 meter pistol. I do not plan on shooting in 10 meter matches, but you never know. At least for now, it would be for self enjoyment, shooting at my home range. I have an eye issue that is going to limit me in the future. I have some major Glaucoma damage in my dominant eye (right) and the beginning of Macular Degeneration. For now, I can see and shoot using my left eye, although I am right handed. It is not an issue at this point.

For the past few weeks, I have done Internet searches, read Target Talk and I really like the specs on the Steyr LP50. The idea of having an Olympic quality semi-auto AP, is pretty exciting. I know some of you have this pistol plus other single shot high end air pistols and I would like to know if the LP50 can be used satisfactorily in a dual role. I have a group of retired friends that shoot with me and we shoot action combat style using Walther CP88's. It is a blast (no pun intended). Being able to use the LP50 in this role as well as regular 10 meter target shooting would add to the appeal of this pistol plus it has provision for mounting a red dot sight on it, which might keep me shooting as my eye sight changes. I know it sounds like I have already made up my mind, but I am still open to your suggestions and comments.

One last thing, how does the LP50 compare to other high end PCP pistols that are not semi-auto, as far as quietness? Does the fact that it is re-cocking itself, add much noise as it shoots? Since I shoot inside my home, keeping a low noise level is important.

My budget is only going to allow for one high end air pistol, so getting one of each, isn't possible at this point.

I look forward to your input.

Jerry in Austin, Texas
Recently retired. Competitive pistol and rifle shooter off and on since the 60's. Interested in all types of competition pistols. have FWB 80, IZH 46M, Daisy 777, HW75. Airgun range in home.
dronning

Post by dronning »

I have an LP10E and an LP50.

The LP50 shoots every bit a well as the LP10E. I bought the LP50 with the heavy trigger (4LB) option, a 1911 grip and a sight rail and dot, so I could practice for bullseye timed & rapid fire. I brought it to our Wed. night AP practice session and shooting at the regulation AP targets I shot rapid fire (10sec per 5 shot string) and managed a 540 something.

To answer your question if I were to do it again and only had funds for one I wouldn't hesitate on getting the LP50.

You don't get as many shots per fill on the LP50. I have to assume the standard trigger compares to the LP10. I think the heavy trigger is great.

I don't think it is louder - maybe only slightly?

Hope this helps.

Dave
Attachments
LP50.jpg
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
fasride

LP50 Question

Post by fasride »

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your input. Your pistol looks awesome. May I share a memory with you?

My dad was a bullseye shooter in the late 50's and I helped work the matches at our club. We had a 25 position firing line under a tin roof. My job was to push and pull the huge lever that turned the 25 yard targets. No one wore ear protection back then, although some shooters would stick empty 38 shells in their ears. 25 shooters shooting .45's in rapid fire was a deafening experience that I will never forget :-)

Jerry
Sorry for getting off topic
Recently retired. Competitive pistol and rifle shooter off and on since the 60's. Interested in all types of competition pistols. have FWB 80, IZH 46M, Daisy 777, HW75. Airgun range in home.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dronning wrote:I have to assume the standard trigger compares to the LP10.
Unfortunately the LP50 trigger, or at least all of the ones I've tried, is nowhere near as good as the LP10 trigger (or probably any other top flight single shot AP).

That doesn't mean to say it's a bad trigger; it just depends what you compare it to.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

I have a Baikal MP-46M with a Thomas Rink grip and a Steyr LP50 Compact with standard weight trigger. I bought the Steyr to practice NRA Conventional Pistol (Bullseye) progressive drills http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2071-what ... ange#11435 and occasional AP60 competition. With a 3 mm front sight it is similar to my Bullseye pistol's sight picture. For AP60 competition I install the original 4.5mm front sight blade and extend the rear sight all the way to the rear to let the longest sight picture. Also, the one shot magazine makes it easy to load for AP60 competition. Considering I expect the pistol to be used for twenty years, the price was reasonable.

(An aside, my bar napkin math shows a 10 meter air pistol target at 10 meters is about the same sight image as 25 and 50 yard Bullseye targets.)

While the Steyr is easier to hold and shoot than the Baikal (I get about 100 shots from a full cylinder) so far I only shoot at my skill level, so no magic points there. The stock medium Steyr grip lacks the volume of the large Rink grip I have on the Baikal, so it does not point as naturally side-to-side. A Rink grip for the Steyr is on order, as his grips fit my hand very well. The Steyr Compact weighs 34 ounces versus 40 ounces for the Baikal.

The Steyr is slightly louder than the Baikal, but just barely. Because my ears are a bit sensitive (kids, jet engines, racing), I shoot with ear plugs with the Steyr but not with the Baikal.

Purchased from our host.
Attachments
LP50c.jpg
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

My LP50E has the same trigger as my LP10E.
A LP50E is hard tö find though.
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hello,
Actually I would have purchased an LP50E because of the trigger on the LP50, I am not saying it's a bad trigger, but as mentioned here it is what you compare it to, when I am paying that much I will spend a little more to get the top of the line.
Unfortunatly Steyr had issues with the electronic trigger doubling and they stoped production.
Steyr will offer support to existing guns so if you can find one for sale, I would say buy it.
This information come from direct contact from Steyr, I am not implying anything negative about the LP50 or LP50E, i wish I bought a 50E when they were available.

Have a Good Day,
xpshooter
fasride

LP50 questions

Post by fasride »

Thank you everyone for your input. I am still weighing all of the issues. For what a top 10 meter pistol costs, I guess I expect to get a fabulous trigger. But, since I have never shot one, I really don't know what a trigger like that is like. All I have to compare to is my FWB 80 and IZH 46M (which I think have great triggers).

The LP50 has the appeal of a top notch, high end 10 meter pistol plus it is a 5 shot semi-auto. I only learned about the "iffyness" of it's standard trigger when I posted this question.

If I could buy both an LP50 and an LP10, it would be an easy decision. I am retired and on a fixed income, so that is not an option. I don't presently shoot in any organized events, so my shooting is for my own enjoyment, at home. I just want to own at least one no compromise air pistol. My kids are excellent pistol shots and will enjoy it when I no longer can use it.

Jerry in Austin
dronning

Post by dronning »

If you don't have a reason for the 5 shot then I would go with the LP10. If you want to practice rapid fire for bullseye then the LP50. I don't think the LP50 trigger will hold you back.

Both the LP10 & LP50 hold their value well enough that if you wait for a good deal and changed your mind later you could probably get what you paid or close to it.
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

fasride,
"I don't presently shoot in any organized events, so my shooting is for my own enjoyment, at home."

I think that a Steyr Silhuett would be great for you! And, keep the FWB 80.

http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/index.p ... silhouette
fasride

LP50 questions

Post by fasride »

That is a very interesting suggestion. I have competed in IHMSA (International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association) big bore pistol matches in the past while living in the Corpus Christi area. I was the 1982 Texas revolver champion in that discipline shooting the first clean score (40 X 40) in Texas. My daughter (10 years old at the time), shot the first 40 X 40 for a girl junior in the U.S. in the unlimited division. She is now 40 and is still an avid hunter. There was no air pistol silhouette competition at that time. But, we used the FWB 80 and an FWB 65 to train for the big bore pistol matches.

I am swaying toward the LP10, because of it's past winning history and I want a pistol with an exceptional trigger. My FWB 80 is at a shop having a maintenance and seals replaced, but I have been shooting the IZH46M at 10 meters quite a bit. I am finally getting it adjusted so that it fits me and I am shooting pretty good with it. I am not sure I will shoot any better with an LP10, but I love fine guns and it would make a great pistol to shoot now and be able to leave to my son or daughter to enjoy when I no longer can use it.

I do have an additional question. I do not presently own any PCP air guns, so will need either a tank or pump. Can you tell me what most use and are scuba tanks as desirable as the carbon fiber tanks?

Thanks again for everyone's input.
dronning

Post by dronning »

LP10 great choice.
I bought an 80 cu.ft. scuba tank for $75 with all current inspections. Look around you can usually find them for under $100.
~ Ben Franklin
northpaw

Discontinued?

Post by northpaw »

I have repeatedly been told (latelly) the LP 50 E-version is no longer available, due to trigger issues. Is that a fact?
David Levene

Re: Discontinued?

Post by David Levene »

northpaw wrote:I have repeatedly been told (latelly) the LP 50 E-version is no longer available, due to trigger issues. Is that a fact?
The LP50E is no longer available, allegedly due to trigger issues.

Those issues do not affect the LP10E or the LP50.
flolo

Post by flolo »

last year on one of the championships in munich the guys from steyr told me. that they're not producing the lp50e anymore because of low sales...
whatever the truth is (trigger problems or low sales) they at least also told me, that it's possible to convert the standard lp50 to an lp50e ( in their factory, and with a heavy price tag). so, maybe they're willing to do a special order...
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

David Levene wrote: Those issues do not affect the LP10E or the LP50.
I've got a new LP10E and it does sometimes follow up the shot with a second trigger click, but as it's a single shot pistol this doesn't cause any problems.

Funnily enough I haven't noticed the second click for the past few days since I swapped the Steyr grip with a Rink alternative. Obviously the battery pack and electronics had to be transferred to the new grip; maybe I disturbed something? Or maybe it's purely coincidence... :)
Steyr LP10 E
flolo

Post by flolo »

and. by the way: after about 20 years they could also develop a better mechanical trigger, now that they dropped the e-version( if you look at the trigger housing in the frame, it was always intended to have an electric trigger, even on the lp5)
j-team

Post by j-team »

Zeddsded wrote:I've got a new LP10E and it does sometimes follow up the shot with a second trigger click, but as it's a single shot pistol this doesn't cause any problems.
I've had my LP10e for a few months now and have had a couple of "double" shots. Each time it happened was when I executed poor trigger technique. By having a little "stab" at the trigger right at the 500gram pressure, . If you do it right it does not double, it is not possible unless you release and then re-apply pressure.
fasride

LP50 Question

Post by fasride »

Mr. Dronning,
I have tried to PM you directly and have gotten no response. Will you please contact me at fasride@gmail.com
Thanks,
Jerry Smith
Zeddsded

Post by Zeddsded »

j-team wrote:
Zeddsded wrote:I've got a new LP10E and it does sometimes follow up the shot with a second trigger click, but as it's a single shot pistol this doesn't cause any problems.
I've had my LP10e for a few months now and have had a couple of "double" shots. Each time it happened was when I executed poor trigger technique. By having a little "stab" at the trigger right at the 500gram pressure, . If you do it right it does not double, it is not possible unless you release and then re-apply pressure.
So the likelihood is that, after a month of ownership, I'm now more attuned to the feel and operation of the LP10E trigger, hence the absence of double-shots... Sounds logical to me. :)
Steyr LP10 E