STP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

STP

Post by conradin »

Now that I have a Hammerli 203, I want to start doing Standard Pistol.
I read the rules, but I have NEVER seen a match before. Perhaps it is a non Olympic event, so it is rarely held on all levels?

Does anyone know a youtube or a video of an entire standard pistol match that can show me, so I know what really happens as opposed to what the ISSF book say should happen?
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

Vincent,
There is a standard pistol match at your home range (Diablo) on June 15th. You can download the match bulletin from www.califpistolmatches.com
As for how the how a standard pistol match is played; PM me and I'll give you some basic information on the topic.
-s
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Don't know about the rest of the world, but here in AUS Standard Pistol is arguably the most popular ISSF event at club shoots and zone, state and national championships.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Spencer wrote:Don't know about the rest of the world, but here in AUS Standard Pistol is arguably the most popular ISSF event at club shoots and zone, state and national championships.
Same in New Zealand. But, if trends continue, Air Pistol will take over soon.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Standard Pistol has been a popular ISSF event for many years, but there is no Olympic event (for men) by than name. About the closest the Olympics has to Standard Pistol is 25m Women's Sport Pistol (SP).

I used to follow Erich Buljung's exploits shooting Standard Pistol, because he was a fellow American, and because I had the privilege to shoot next to him in 10m AP at the 1990 US Shooting Championships. (Of course, I was not on the same planet as Erich, and thoroughly embarrassed myself with my performance.)

This is just my opinion, but I think Standard Pistol didn't make the jump to the Olympics due to a lack of concensus and agreement over what would become "Standard Pistol" In that era (1970-1990) ISSF had both .22lr and centerfire pistol disciplines. It is one of the few events where targets did not change in 1989, and because of that, both sports have basically died on the vine and not evolved, either as an Olympic sport, or anything else.

Still a popular club sport, but the last World Championships in Standard Pistol was 2006 (best info I could find).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

DFWdude wrote:About the closest the Olympics has to Standard Pistol is 25m Women's Sport Pistol (SP).
And that is totally different
DFWdude wrote:Still a popular club sport, but the last World Championships in Standard Pistol was 2006 (best info I could find).
The last World Championship in Standard Pistol was in 2010 in Munich; the same as for the other mandatory events listed in ISSF rules 3.3.3.1 & 3.3.3.2
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

David Levene wrote:
DFWdude wrote:About the closest the Olympics has to Standard Pistol is 25m Women's Sport Pistol (SP).
I didn't write they were the same, did I? Stated another way, Standard Pistol (.22lr) is closer to Olympic Women's SP (also .22lr) than it is to Air Pistol, or any other Olympic Pistol event (Rapid Fire Pistol is .22 short). I did write" About the Closest..."
David Levene wrote:
DFWdude wrote:Still a popular club sport, but the last World Championships in Standard Pistol was 2006 (best info I could find).
The last World Championship in Standard Pistol was in 2010 in Munich; the same as for the other mandatory events listed in ISSF rules 3.3.3.1 & 3.3.3.2
Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't find this info earlier. Good to see the discipline is alive and well. Too bad it's not an Olympic event. This forum is all about "Olympic Pistol." Not to be too picky...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

DFWdude wrote:(Rapid Fire Pistol is .22 short).
It hasn't been for the last 9 years.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

DFWdude wrote:
David Levene wrote:
I didn't write they were the same, did I? Stated another way, Standard Pistol (.22lr) is closer to Olympic Women's SP (also .22lr) than it is to Air Pistol, or any other Olympic Pistol event (Rapid Fire Pistol is .22 short). I did write" About the Closest..."
2/3 of the shots in Standard Pistol are shot as a continual series (with the associated requirement for recoil control).

The complete 25m Pistol event is fired as single shots.

Close? Maybe in that they use the same pistol; but then so does RFP.
renzo

Post by renzo »

One of my fellow shooters (in fact, he was many many years captain of our team) who shot at the 40th. WC in Phoenix 1970 (when SP was introduced into the calendar of the WCH's) told me that in those years word was that the course was developed to replace RFP with a much more financially accesible discipline, which obviously didn't happen.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I know that they are different, but perhaps they should just merge SP and STP with a set of compromised rules, and make it a mixed event.
I believe all events should be mixed anyway. Just look at the finals records right now, the women are doing better than men.
David M

Post by David M »

Standard is a mixed event, men and women shoot together.
It is a event that requires very good trigger and recoil control. The big time differences create most of the shooters problems going from 150 to 20 then 10 sec. Most people jerk like hell and have poor timing.

Some people love Standard, some people hate Standard and others just love to hate it.
renzo

Post by renzo »

conradin wrote:I know that they are different, but perhaps they should just merge SP and STP with a set of compromised rules, and make it a mixed event.
I believe all events should be mixed anyway. Just look at the finals records right now, the women are doing better than men.
Why should they?? They are both highly entertaining separate specialties, let them be................ I love them both!! Plus, I got to use the same pistol I use for CF.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David M wrote:Standard is a mixed event, men and women shoot together...
In AUS, up to and including our National Championships.

There are no 'mixed' (M & F) ISSF events listed.
At ISSF World Championships, 25m Standard Pistol is a Mens event - 3.3.1.1
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

From 2014 women are allowed to compete in the European Cup.
That includes the disciplines Standard Pistol and Centerfire.

I do not know about other competitions.
rmca

Post by rmca »

j danielsson wrote:From 2014 women are allowed to compete in the European Cup.
That includes the disciplines Standard Pistol and Centerfire.
Could you post a link to this?

Thanks
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

No. Do not know how to do that. Hate these machines.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Just copy the path on your browser (www.something.com/something...) and paste it in the text box of the reply.

No more to it...
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

It was said on technical meeting in Saint- Jean- de Marsaque last year, and I do have a conversation on facebook about it, but I can´t find anything about it anywhere else. Do you know Joao Costa? I think he was on the meeting.
I´ll be back.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

j danielsson wrote:It was said on technical meeting in Saint- Jean- de Marsaque last year, and I do have a conversation on facebook about it, but I can´t find anything about it anywhere else. Do you know Joao Costa? I think he was on the meeting.
I´ll be back.
According to the invitation for the first round in Hannover it's CFP Men and StP Men.