MP90S 32 are they any good?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

JLW

MP90S 32 are they any good?

Post by JLW »

Hi guys,

If you have used a late model MP90S 32 SWL, I would like to know what you think about them. Can they stand up to heavy use? What problems have you encountered ?

Thanks
JLW
JLW

Post by JLW »

Is their not anyone with experience with a Benelli MP90S in 32??

James
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Could it be that everyone's mother told them "if you do not have anything nice to say do not say anything?"
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Not surprisingly, just like the .22. The low barrel line makes recoil benign and recovery of aim almost instantaneous. I believe folk have had problems with the extractor flying out - not my experience. The recoil buffer seems to age quickly. In my opinion, a really great, user-friendly .32. Be sensible with the loads...
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I had one for about three years. Solidly built and extremely reliable. Nice sights, nice pointability with the Nill grip.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Thanks

It's a good looking pistol. This is a pic of the latest 32, they have added a lot of adjustment features but removed the scope rail.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
dronning

Post by dronning »

Everything I have heard has been very positive. I was looking to get one but held off due to all the differing opinions on the accuracy of the .32 SWL at 50 yards - not a MP90S issue, same discussions with the Pardini and the .32 SW. I am watching the Pardini .32 ACP with some interest.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

I've seen good scores from both the Pardini and Benelli at 25 yards with the 32 SWL but never at 50 yards. If you get to look at some 25 yard targets you will see some out of round holes which I think is the bullet not being stabilized. I regularly shoot with 5 guys that shoot the 32 SWL none of them use it for 50 yards. I got the 32 ACP and it seems to hold its own at 50 yards. My holes are perfectly round at at 50 yards. With good ammo both guns seem as reliable as most tight target guns.
bigaaron

Post by bigaaron »

Better order an extra firing pin from larrys Guns before you need
one. Mine broke and had to wait 2 and half months before they got them in. I actually have the mp95 but I thinks the guns are the same in that respect.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Wish me luck. My new pistol should be here by the end of the week. If not it will be by the first of the next.

I did order a new firing pin one of Larry's improved type and also one of his recoil buffers. Lets hope they will last for a while. They were not very expensive and therefore cheep insurance for the new race horse.

As of now I see no reason why I cannot match the performance of the 32 acp with a little case shortening and shorter bullets so we will see how it goes.
If this doesn't work then I will turn a new barrel with a faster twist and or close the boldface down to except a rimless cartridge and then turn and chamber a new barrel for the 32 acp. Lets hope the first option works, that way I can do more shooting and less machining. It's all fun.

Anyway Thanks for the replies.
pistol champ

Post by pistol champ »

Best of luck with your new toy I hope you get it to shoot really well without all the machine work. Larry's is great to work with I've had nothing but great service from them over the years. There is a lot of information on loading the 32 SWL so you should get good results without much screwing around.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

You might talk to GVJOHN as he has had a lot of experience shooting bullets such as the shorter 32 S$W in the 32 S&W long barrel with SWC and round nose bullets. He also has used smaller diameter barrels. He told me he is going to try some of my 60 grain 32 SWC's at a faster speed to see if this will work. You have your choice of seating them deep and leaving the brass full length, using 32S&W brass, or cutting them to the length you want to make the bullet front even with the magazine.

My experience with the Benelli 32 is that it can be made to shot well at 50 yards but it is an experience in itself. You must find out exactly how large of an expander is needed for your individual gun and what size bullet. Probably .3145 (expander) and .314 (bullet) is what would be your best start. If you don't cast, the .313 or .314 HBWC's will work OK. The ones that come from Canada are probably the best of the bunch. ( Someone help me, I forgot the name of them). Hirtenbergers I think. (No correction ..the bullets are H&N) A Saeco #323 mold is just as good but make sure you use soft lube if you try them. I did OK with Dardas .314 cast wadcutter but not as well as the other two. My opinion is, they are too hard and so is the lube.

As far as reliability is concerned the most important thing is to not make the loads too hot. The loads you find in the manuals are for revolvers and are too hot for the Benelli. After a period of time, you will start having problems with the bullets running into the top of the chamber. If you lighten your load and it quits this, the recoil spring has gotten too weak and needs to be replaced or stretched out another inch or so.

The ejector is prone to get knocked out of its slot but amazingly is almost always found straight below the gun or in the brass net. It has a spring, pin, and extractor and is easy to replace but if you get a new one, it should be custom fitted or it will not stay in very well. You can get someone who understands ejectors and have them radius it correctly to make it fit better. I think they get knocked out by goo that gets on the face of the bolt so watch that area and it will happen less often. Another thing that can knock it out is putting a bullet in the chamber and dropping the slide on it. Possibly a nick in a piece of brass could be a reason also.

I never have the firing pin break but I never dry fire it either. I suppose it is still possible to break it but way less likely if you never dry fire it but since it doesn't stay open after the last shot, it is easy to do this.

All in all, I think it is OK but has its idiosyncrasies.

I'm not using one now as I am playing with the Pardini 32 ACP which also has a learning curve with lead bullets.