Q on ISSF Rule 7.4.2.6 Weights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JeroenH

Q on ISSF Rule 7.4.2.6 Weights

Post by JeroenH »

"7.4.2.6 Weights
...· Any other weights must be within the dimensions of the
stock. "

I've read this at least 10 times. Who can explain to me what this means?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you read the rule interpretations (last one issued in May 2013).

Remember also that there will be the 2nd printing of the rules available in the (very?) near future.
ZD

Post by ZD »

The rule on keeping weights within the dimensions of the stock refers to keeping extra weights on an air rifle within the max dimensions an air rifle stock can exhibit. Now, this is a confusing statement, so let me illustrate (and someone please correct me if I am wrong). For example, on an air rifle you have max dimensions such as the maximum depth of the stock where your support hand would go (90mm measured from the center of the barrel to the bottom of the palmrest, ), and maximum sight height (60mm measured from the center of your barrel to the center of your front sight). Now, theoretically you could have the wooden block on an anschutz air rifle made out of solid lead. You as a shooter would consider that a weight, however it would still be within the dimensions of the stock. However, you could not have a weight extending down from the rail past this dimensions, (I have seen weights on an adjustable rod that extend down to almost the grip on a smallbore rifle, ). In regards to the butt plate on an air rifle, you could have weights extending from your cheekpiece out towards your buttplate. However, if these weights extend past your buttplate, they would no longer be within the dimensions of the stock. Now, up until the rule change, you could have weights attached to the bottom of your buttplate extending towards the grip, however these are now illegal for both smallbore and air as they are considered chest support, despite the fact that they are within the dimension of the stock (think about a wooden air rifle, you would still likely get chest support from it). Personally, I have lead weights sitting under my cheekpiece on the stock, and have had weights inside my palmrest, both of which are legal. Barrel weights are of course legal.

I have a picture of an Anschutz 9003 below to illustrate my point. The weights attached to the cheekpiece are legal provided they do not extend beyond the length you have the buttplate adjusted to. The weights on the bottom of the buttplate are now illegal, as such a setup would rest on your chest.
Attachments
9003.jpg
9003.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

On the attached image the bar and weights attached to the bottom of the butt plate are now illegal. If you were to place it so that it was attached to the frame of the stock and within the measurements of the stock that then remains legal. My daughters LG400 has this weight fitted, and has been through EC several times at Bisley, it is one of the few things she has never been questioned on.

2013-12-02 11.59.21 by alan-evans, on Flickr

Alan
JeroenH

Post by JeroenH »

It's starting to dawn on me, thanks!