Replacement Cylinder for FWB

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Chris__Colorado

Post by Chris__Colorado »

Team,
My son just recently started shooting AP and really likes it.

But, the pistol we use is a FWB Model 2 Short and the cylinders are dated 1983! As a result, he will be unable to use these cylinders due to their age.

Both Pilkingtons and Cxxxxxxx's Choice responded to my email query in the negative for replacement cylinders, hence my post here.

I'm still waiting on a response from FWB in Germany.

Does anyone know of a source here in the USA?

Thank you,
Chris

I imagine one could manufacture one for themselves if one had the proper tooling and materials and stamp the manufacturing date on it. By my reading, the ISSF rules do not specify the airgun manufacturer must be the pressure vessel manufacturer, so this is may be a viable option--but I'd prefer the easier route of buying one .
Rover

Post by Rover »

Don't worry about it. When he gets to the World Cup tryouts he MIGHT have a problem, otherwise no one cares. With the low pressure CO2 cylinders, there is not even a safety issue.
Chris__Colorado

I agree, and

Rover,
While I agree with you, the club my son shoots at will start enforcing this rule next month.

Right now, as you indicated, he's not a World Class Shooter yet, so it makes more economical sense to spend the money to keep him shooting this gun rather than invest in a new CA pistol with ISSF valid pressure vessels.

:-)

Respectfully,
Chris
Rover

Post by Rover »

I believe you, but unless he's shooting at the OTC I can't imagine why the club would bother with such a silly rule.
John C

Post by John C »

Chris;

What I think Rover is trying to say is that it's unlikely you'll run into strict equipment control at a local match. Should your son advance to the point where he's shooting matches that do have strict equipment control, then you should look at getting a new cylinder or upgrade the pistol.

If you really need a new cylinder, a german supplier has them: http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shoo ... rd-Co2-53g

I've ordered from them, it's easy to do. They ship small parts to the US, and you can pay with paypal. It looks like they only have the full sized cylinders, not the short ones.

Good luck,

-John
Chris__Colorado

Rover,
You must be psychic <<grin>>. It was over a year wait to get into the club and the Jr shooting program--my son is very excited to go there. The facilities, people and atmosphere are awesome.

Silly rule or not, I'm not too concerned other than just getting the pistol compliant as it's the one my son prefers (he's plinked with it for years). Precision shooting is new to him and he likes it. Anything that keeps a teenager occupied is great news for me!

As an engineer, scuba diver, and some exposure to the law, I understand both sides of the issue regarding the ISSF rule--as has been discussed previously in TargetTalk. I do my own visuals/maintenance and am comfortable with my FWB cylinders despite their 30+ years age. Shucks, my my steel scuba tanks are almost that old too, and my CO2 tank is pushing 40 years LOL (all properly hydro'd).

Thank you for your feedback and perspective.

John,
Thanks for the feedback and link. I've contacted them and will update all with what I find out.

Does anyone have the dimensions of a normal length cylinder which hold 53 grams of CO2? I'm beginning to wonder how it would look under a FWB Mod 2 short pistol...

Respectfully
Chris
John C

Post by John C »

Chris;

I have a bunch of the 53g cylinders. Let me see if I can dig one out of my garage and measure it. Although all my cylinders are from the 1980s, I could part with one if you wanted to try it out before dropping $150 plus shipping on a long cylinder.

-John
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since the club doesn't start this rule until next month, it's not too late to tell the Board of Directors what you think. Why would they bring an obscure and ill-advised rule from a European shooting organization into their American club?

If you do a search here, you'll find plenty of ammunition for your point of view. I can't imagine what putz put this notion in their heads.
Last edited by Rover on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j-team

Re: Replacement Cylinder for FWB

Post by j-team »

Chris__Colorado wrote:Does anyone have the dimensions of a normal length cylinder which hold 53 grams of CO2? I'm beginning to wonder how it would look under a FWB Mod 2 short pistol...
If I remember correctly the long cylinder will hit the underside of the front sight body on the short model 2. But, don't take my word for it, it's been 25 years since I had one!
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

19cm excluding weight and threaded spigot
Chris__Colorado

Thank you.

Thank you for the dimensions.
It looks like the 53 gram cylinders are about 2cm longer than the 41 gram cylinder.

Still waiting on some replies from some more vendors, but so far no one has a currently rated 41gram short (kurtz) cylinder.

VR
Chris
Rover

Post by Rover »

Lots of luck finding one.

Better tell the kid to get a job to pay for his new air pistol.
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

Chris

I am prety sure I have seen them come up on e-gun occasionally. Probably a long shot but no harm in keeping a search going.

John