lube on air cylinder threads

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pauln

lube on air cylinder threads

Post by pauln »

In the Pardini manual with regards to refilling the air cylinders it states . ''keep the threaded portion on the connector lubricated with a simple lubricant" So we use a very little of what ? Thanks

opps ment to post in olympic pistol , well it is early here in NZ lol
kameljock

lube

Post by kameljock »

Not sure what they recommend, but I used a synthetic light grease that I use on my mountain bike. I think the brand was Pedro's. not that it matters, and a very small amount. Almost to the point I wasn't sure that there was any applied. It definitely reduced the effort required to hand screw the cylinder on.

This was on my FWB700.
be in the moment
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I use a tiny amount of Break Free.

DO NOT use silicon grease.
FredB

why?

Post by FredB »

David Levene wrote: DO NOT use silicon grease.
Why?
rmca

Re: why?

Post by rmca »

FredB wrote:
Why?
It destroys the rubber o-ring.
j-team

Post by j-team »

rmca wrote:
FredB wrote:
Why?
It destroys the rubber o-ring.
Errr... Isn't silicon grease exactly what you should use on O rings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

FredB wrote:
Why?
It can cause cylinders to bind up solid.

The last time this was discussed on TT I think someone used the word "spalling" but I could be wrong.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Silicone grease is exactly what you want for O-rings.
http://www.amazon.com/CORNING-MOLYKOTE- ... B00B2OHYMU
The point is to use a lubricant that will not degrade O-rings, will not diesel under pressure ( causing a secondary detonation ) and lubricates the cylinder threads to prevent "galling".
Gort
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David Levene wrote:
FredB wrote:
Why?
It can cause cylinders to bind up solid.

The last time this was discussed on TT I think someone used the word "spalling" but I could be wrong.
Be warned; some silicone greases are rheopectic.

and, when David mentions 'solid', he means REALLY SOLID!!!
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Interesting question. I wish manufacturers would give more explicit information. There are many materials in use for O rings. Some will be attacked by petroleum products. I'm not aware of silicone grease being incompatible with any O ring material (please correct me if I'm wrong - this is important!) and I've used the Molycote silicone grease recommended by Gort on all sorts of O rings for years without problem.

What worries me more is aluminium alloy threaded into aluminium alloy. I suppose the cylinder and housing threads are anodised, but aluminium and (some of?) its alloys can gall or cold-weld when threaded together. Anti-sieze compounds, also marketed as 'assembly pastes' containing a high concentration of molybdenum disulphide or graphite will help, but these will be based on petroleum grease, possibly incompatible with the O ring. Molybond GA 50 is available in NZ, over-priced, of course.

I've come across a range of silicone oils containing molybdenum disulphide, marketed as gun lubricants. Sorry, I can't remember the brand: it was in UK, ages ago. Sounds like it could be the answer...
RobinC as Guest

PCP Grease

Post by RobinC as Guest »

Lupus professional, its been the recomended grease ever since PCP's came out, I think its PTFE based. I've also seen factory techs using it.
I've used it for years and had no issues.

www.lupus-pro.de
Hochstrasse 150
Willich
D - 47877

Not sure how current the details are as my tub is donkeys years old.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Steyr recommends "acid free Silicone grease", refer to section 9, page 38 in the manual.
http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/media/L ... E_c_en.pdf
Gort
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gort wrote:Steyr recommends "acid free Silicone grease", refer to section 9, page 38 in the manual.
That's for the O-rings, not the threads (as the original question).
PFribley

Lube

Post by PFribley »

Why not pellgun oil???
j-team

Post by j-team »

This is interesting. Although silicon grease appears to be suitable for the O rings, it's not suitable for the thread.

Problem is, every time the cylinder is removed the "psshhh" of air that escapes blows any lube that was only on the O ring on to the thread as well.

So, whatever is used really has to be suitable for both the O ring and the thread.
pauln

Post by pauln »

Thanks for replies, looking at both the pistol and fill adaptor the male threads on both have a very light film of a black grease like substance, applied at the factory . There are no visible O rings in either the cylinder, or male connector on the pistol, or fill adaptor
.I think the factory is referring to an anti seize product for the threads rather than O ring lube .
Anyway I must admit with all the PCP's in use i assumed there would be a commonly used process. A very interesting discussion. Thanks again
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Anschütz and Feinwerkbau recommends using their "special grease" for threads and o-rings. I also believe it is a PTFE based formula.

I have used MolyKote grease on some of my guns and have noticed that is does affect some of the urethane seals, but not the o-rings.
j-team

Post by j-team »

pauln wrote:There are no visible O rings in either the cylinder, or male connector on the pistol, or fill adaptor
The O ring is in the cylinder, it's small and seals on the smallest diameter part of the adaptor/pistol. One of the best designed pistol/cylinder coupling that I have seen IMHO.
David M

Post by David M »

See http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=39217
re- Galling and Pure silicone dive grease
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

In response to the original post you might be interested in Pardini USA's response (from Emil Milev) in this thread.

"You can use a drop of regular motor oil, not much."

Having used silicon grease (from a dive shop) on a Morini, with the resulting extreme difficulty in removing the cylinder after about a month of use, I won't use silicon grease on threads again.

My experience is obviously very different from David M's.