Center Fire pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Center Fire pistol

Post by Dev »

Hi,

How many people use a revolver in this sport and what other cal than the .32.
I have just begun to shoot it and was wondering about the memory I had of a gent using a revolver in this sport.

Regards,

Dev
David M

Post by David M »

Whiilst now playing with a .32 Hammerli SP20, I shot a .38 Manurhin revolver for many years and still shoot it now as a service gun.
Gerryatric

Post by Gerryatric »

For ISSF Centre Fire, there is only .32 - .38. The best CF shooters of the world will use .32 for many reasons.
As for Revolver or Semi-auto, I think it is personal preference. What do you like shooting best? I think a semi-auto is a lot easier to use, allows you to keep a better grip etc etc etc
For best advise, look at what is being used in Europe.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Its perfectly possible to acheive good scores with a Smith and Wesson K38, they're a good starting point if nothing else.
Dev

Center Fire pistol

Post by Dev »

Thank you for replying. Most of the people who compete at our range use walther gsps. There is nothing else to be seen. I just hate the hassle of scrambling for the empties at the end of a match and the ugliness that follows.

Regards,

Dev
David Levene

Re: Center Fire pistol

Post by David Levene »

Dev wrote:Thank you for replying. Most of the people who compete at our range use walther gsps. There is nothing else to be seen. I just hate the hassle of scrambling for the empties at the end of a match and the ugliness that follows.
What is more important to you, shooting your best scores or the convenience of not having to pick up brass.

If it's shooting your best scores then you should choose the pistol that suits you best (which could be a semi-automatic or a revolver). Only you can decide which, not anybody on this forum.

If you are more interested in not having to pick up brass then choose a revolver.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I like not having to worry about malfunctions, not having to pick up brass, not having my own brass bounce of the partition and hit me, not having to play the game of optimising ammo for function and accuracy simultaneously, and having a longer barrel which is a little less sensitive to load variation, hence I use a revolver.
gunnery

Post by gunnery »

Dev

Revolver

Post by Dev »

Without sounding too big for my boots as I haven't shot centre fire that much, I like James's reply.
I agree with what you have said David but the worry about the empties is a big one, as we buy cartridges from the state shooting body before a match and they are very zealous in getting them back and preventing some weird misuse idea?
But I guess I can ignore it all for better scores and a performance. James I loved drooling over the S&W38K MODEL. That would be one beauty to shoot.
At the moment I am going to just try and focus for my next match...one battle at a time eh ;-).

Regards,

Dev
Leon

Re: Center Fire pistol

Post by Leon »

Dev wrote:Thank you for replying. Most of the people who compete at our range use walther gsps. There is nothing else to be seen. I just hate the hassle of scrambling for the empties at the end of a match and the ugliness that follows.

Regards,

Dev
Buy a Walther GSP case catcher then. They work very well.
JamesH

Re: Revolver

Post by JamesH »

Dev wrote:I loved drooling over the S&W38K MODEL. That would be one beauty to shoot.
They are a little more challenging and less forgiving of errors than a 'proper' target pistol, but they're relatively cheap and great training.
Dev

Case catcher

Post by Dev »

Hi Leon,

My friend has the case catcher and I think I will use it for the next match and see. Course I am still miles away from being able to my hands on my own firearm.

Regards,

Dev
Dev

Made it through the state competition

Post by Dev »

Just an update to let you know that I made it to the zonals. Using my friend's pistol and guidance. I was two points short but I was given a wild card entry by my state.

Would like to report that positive thinking and attitude does work. :-)
Best wishes,

Dev
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Congrats, Dev! Good luck moving up!

Roger
cpt.gabriel

Post by cpt.gabriel »

Hello everyone, since it's my first post there!
A dumb question, if I'm allowed :
- I have a Smith Wesson Masterpiece SA .38 spl and a Colt Python .357mag., as a new shooter in CFP should I trust Colt, SW, or neither of them and look for a semiautomatic?

Best regards.
GOVTMODEL

Go, S&W!

Post by GOVTMODEL »

cpt.gabriel wrote:Hello everyone, since it's my first post there!
A dumb question, if I'm allowed :
- I have a Smith Wesson Masterpiece SA .38 spl and a Colt Python .357mag., as a new shooter in CFP should I trust Colt, SW, or neither of them and look for a semiautomatic?

Best regards.
The Smith & Wesson K38 Heavyweight Masterpiece is a great gun for this event. (If you have money to spare look at the Pardini.)
cpt.gabriel

Post by cpt.gabriel »

Telling me SW it's a great gun, I understand is much above my capabilities!
So , instead spending money for a new gun I'll put them in training .
P.S. My revolver is SW 14 Masterpiece Single Action.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

A single action K38 Masterpiece is a great gun to start, or even continue, centrefire with.
cpt.gabriel

Post by cpt.gabriel »

Regarding SW 14, it's mandatory for a beginner to use an anatomic grip ori is it fine to use factory grip?
About shooting with factory grip I saw some pictures with thumb rest on frame near cylinder, on the latch, is it a good technique?
Thanks!
GOVTMODEL

K38 Grips

Post by GOVTMODEL »

cpt.gabriel wrote:Regarding SW 14, it's mandatory for a beginner to use an anatomic grip ori is it fine to use factory grip? !
Any grip that meets the Rule is fine.