Problem with Walther GSP 2-stage trigger unit

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jabberwo

Problem with Walther GSP 2-stage trigger unit

Post by jabberwo »

Hi,

Prior to the first trip to the range with my new to me early 80s GSP I stripped the pistol down for clean and lube following instructions out of the manual. One strangeness when reassembling was that the top end didn't want to go backwards that last "7mm" on the receiver -- the dovetail like key on the top end wasn't fitting under the recess in the receiver. I figured out the trigger assembly was proud of the receiver until I unlocked it a little, then I could get the top end on and turned the screw to lock down the trigger assembly again.

But problem at the range. The pistol appeared to cycle normally after each round. But, the trigger didn't seem to fully reset. I was shooting slow fire. When I pressed for the next shot, no resistance. I would keep the gun facing down range and pump the trigger, it would let off after 2-3 of those. This happened probably 8-10 times out of 15 rounds.

Ive got the top half off the pistol on my bench now. After pressing the hammer back, it wont release with a trigger press. If I slightly loosen the trigger unit by unscrewing the locking screw just a little so the unit rises a little, I can dry fire without problems. Seems problem is when the unit is fully snugged down.

Any ideas on this folks?

Thanks,
Jab
David M

Post by David M »

Sounds like the transfer bar is not re-engaging fully.
After cycling the slide you should feel a very small amount of rattle before the trigger takes up, this is the clearance of the transfer bar.
bruce em

Post by bruce em »

Your overtravel screw is out too far preventing sear release?

find it and give it an 8th turn in

regards
jabberwo

Solution

Post by jabberwo »

In case it helps someone else in the future: I just had to back out screw 22 1/8 of a turn.

With the trigger unit cinched down I noticed that after cocking the hammer with my thumb and getting the problem were it failed to release the hammer on trigger pull, if I pulled forward on the trigger infinitesimally, I heard the faint click of the transfer bar snapping up to engage the pin on the sear. Can't explain why this doesn't happen out of the pistol, there must be some faint amount of friction.

cheers,
Jab