SCATT Zero drifting-WRONG

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

GGibson

SCATT Zero drifting-WRONG

Post by GGibson »

I thought the SCATT system “calibration” was “drifting” from the 10 ring into the 7 or 8 ring after 30 or so shots standing. I was set up with A-17 NRA 50 foot target, set up 10 meters away. I was WRONG. When I took a break I wasn’t careful to return to the exact location on the floor. Here’s how sensitive the location was for me.

I hung a plumb bob on the front of the sensor and marked a spot on the floor (called “0”)
Marked the floor 12 inches to the right and left of 0. Also marked the floor 12 inches ahead and behind the 0.

Rested the rifle on shooting stand to make this rough test.
Calibrated SCATT while sensor located over the 0 mark. 10 ring score
Moved to the mark 12 inches to the left of 0 mark. 7 or 8 ring score at 9 o’clock
Moved to the mark 12 inches to the right of 0 mark. 7 ring score at 3 o’clock
Moved to the mark 12 inches above 0 mark. 8 ring score at 12 o’clock
Moved to the mark 12 inches behind the 0 mark. 8 ring score at 6 o’clock
Moved back to the original 0 mark and got 10 ring score.

It seems logical when you think about it I suppose but it was driving me crazy thinking my groups were drifting and having me re-calibrate several times during the entire 60 or 80 shot session. Obviously I’m new to SCATT. Hope this helps someone.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Scatt can be sensitive to many things, but in many ways actual position of the shot isn't important. Most of the stats don't use that, and you can get almost as much out of it with it not perfectly calibrated. That said, it will play with your head watching shots go in the place on the monitor (if of course you keep looking at it).

Rob.
Niamac

Post by Niamac »

Yes, I'd agree with that. The physical surroundings seem to play quite a bit of a role with the SCATT system. On a nice open range it's not a problem but furniture, walls, doors etc seem to give reflections and thus make the calibration inconsistent. If I break from a 60 shot practice and am not careful to re-setup in the same place the the system needs re-calibration.
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

One shot to calibrate for distance. One sighter and move the point of impact to zero. Continue shooting. I can't imagine anything more simple. Less involved than live fire with cold barrel, foulers, etc.

Dennis L
Grzegorz

Re: SCATT Zero drifting-WRONG

Post by Grzegorz »

GGibson wrote:I thought the SCATT system “calibration” was “drifting” from the 10 ring into the 7 or 8 ring after 30 or so shots standing. I was set up with A-17 NRA 50 foot target, set up 10 meters away. I was WRONG. ...
Hi, it works like that. That's optics. Of course, it has nothing to do with a sighting precision. SCATT is sensitive even for a small sway. Since I have found that, I use this feature when observing my shooter practicing prone, as this is immediatelly visible if he well takes his position after loading (so, a right elbow position etc.).
So, it can be usefull :-)
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I used to train at home shooing in our hallway with the target in the conservatory. It was fine in the evenings - but during the day the day the POI would go from 7 ring at 1 o'clock to 7 ring at 7 o'clock depending on whether the sun was out or not.

The problems of infra red sensors !

I ended up building a screen out of blankets halfway to mask off everything but the target. The wife wasn't amused....

SCATT is great - but it has it's idiosyncrasies which you need to learn.

K.