Help me stabilize my wrist..

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Help me stabilize my wrist..

Post by toddinjax »

Hello all,

I'm asking for suggestions and pointers to help me to better "lock" my wrist. Any physical, or mental focus tips or suggestions will be much appreciated.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your wrist doesn't lock. Start from there.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Make a fist with your shooting hand and squeeze it tight, extending your arm like you here holding a pistol. Now try to move your hand up and down, left and right, pivoting on your wrist. Keep squeezing your fist hard while you do this like you here going to punch someone. You will find that as you grab something firm, your wrist will tend to be in a certain position and any movement from there is quite difficult. It will never "lock", but it does have a "natural position".

It's that position that you should have when holding the pistol in the aiming area. You achieve this by altering the angle of the grip or the grip itself.

You are probably having to move your wrist up/down, left/right or both, in order to get your sights aligned, and thus forcing the wrist out of it's natural position, putting some stress on your tendons, who fight back as you try to release the shot.

Hope this helps
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

john bickar

Post by john bickar »

rmca wrote:like you here going to punch someone
(sic)

"Like you are going to punch someone/something" is the best I've ever been able to describe it.

When I run clinics, I usually have shooters get their stance and grip without a gun, and then I smack them soundly on the front of the hand. That shows weak links in the stability of the platform pretty quickly.

Oh, and don't mind Rover - empirical evidence shows that he often has no idea what he's talking about.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Learn the muscles just in front of your elbow that seem to connect with the ring finger. Try to get them to flex independently.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

There are a number of training exercises out there to strengthen the wrist. Suggest you take a look at those and practice them and see how you get on. Be careful not to overdo it though, the wrist can easily become stressed or inflammed.

Rob.
jr

Post by jr »

john bickar wrote: When I run clinics, I usually have shooters get their stance and grip without a gun, and then I smack them soundly...
It's prudent that you do this particular exercise without them having a gun.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey John,

Of course I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. That explains the difference in grip angles between AP, FP, and Standard Pistol.
scausi

wrist

Post by scausi »

Rather than trying to find ways to lock your wrist ,
start from the basics lifting your pistol with your shoulder locked to your elbow locked then the wrist, its pretty hard to have a weak wrist if you lift up your pistol to the aiming area if it is done correctly ,remember your pistol is just an extension of your arm.
you can also use a Giro ball much better muscle workout than weights for your purpose in training
cheers S