Balance point of rifle in prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BM

Balance point of rifle in prone

Post by BM »

In standing the poibt of balance of the rifle 'should' be about 1cm in front of the supporting hand. What about prone? As you normally have the hand further to the front you have to add kilo's to compensate for that. I assume there has to be a different 'rule'.

Prone in this question is ISSF Free rifle 50 meter.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

I think in most cases the COG will be right behind the support hand for obvious reasons. A lot of shooters use front weights to shift it a little bit further to the front, to dampen the barrel movement and improve recoil. I think the same goes for kneeling, although in my personal case nothing seems to stop the left-right movement...
ABoyd57946

Post by ABoyd57946 »

Hello, I have experience with ISSF rules 50 m prone. I first experimented with a standard textbook balance point in a standard low prone setup starting out in 2009. Two years later I decided after reading Ways of the Rifle to tear apart my position and experiment with many styles using their guidance and my SCATT. I now shoot a very straight position with a high forearm position - almost opposite my original 2009 starting point. My scores are vastly improved as well. I still have improving to do but am getting there.

Bottom line - I would recommend such a strategy for yourself if you have a copy of Ways of the Rifle. It took almost daily dry firing and live fire validation over three months but worked. Hope this is useful for you.

Tony