front sights and diopter/filters cleaning

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

guidolastra

front sights and diopter/filters cleaning

Post by guidolastra »

Anyone can recommend on how to get the glass in the adjustable front sights clean, as well as the filters in the diopters ? Mine are pretty dirty...but I do not want to mess them up yet.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Anyone got any ideas my front Iris is similar and needs a clean sometime, the Glass that is?
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

I am also having trouble. My sight picture suddenly deteriorated few weeks ago and I have been wondering why. I looked down my rear right Iris the wrong way yesterday and there is dust etc in there.

Anyone have any tips on cleaning??

I have a Centra Iris I am not sure if they can be taken apart to clean or not?

I am wondering if maybe a little Camera bush cleaner might work.
22Guy

Post by 22Guy »

Try a camera shop.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As above, or get a compressed air cleaning can - as used by photographers.

Rob.
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

I have used some pharmaceutical alcohol on a cotton swab just being careful to not snag on a sharp edge. No big deal. Few seconds and it was clean.

Dennis L
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

What kind of Iris? I use Centra and they are actually pretty easy to take apart and clean. I do it at least once a year to clean off all the gunk that seems to collect on the filters. Once apart I just use those microfiber lens cleaning cloths. Takes about 10 minutes and the use of a pin to push the detents. Just make sure you align the filters correctly when you reassemble so the correct filter lines up with the color on the adjusting wheel.

Eric U
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Eric - I think the question was about a front iris. When you shoot a clean 3200, I know it impacts reading ability for a few days.

Dennis L
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Original thread topic: "front sights and diopter/filters cleaning". Notice the diopter/filters cleaning part. The terms diopter and iris can be used interchangeably. Filters are usually found in the rear iris too.

I've got no idea how to clean adjustable front apertures though.

Eric "my eyes aren't so tired" U
HWN1011

Post by HWN1011 »

Eric U wrote:What kind of Iris? I use Centra and they are actually pretty easy to take apart and clean. I do it at least once a year to clean off all the gunk that seems to collect on the filters. Once apart I just use those microfiber lens cleaning cloths. Takes about 10 minutes and the use of a pin to push the detents. Just make sure you align the filters correctly when you reassemble so the correct filter lines up with the color on the adjusting wheel.

Eric U
Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply. I know the original post was about the front sight but my question I hijacked the thread with was about the rear sight iris. I would be really interested in knowing how the Centra iris comes apart if you are able to share or maybe you have a document from centra? I seem to have some dust or something in my rear iris. I have tried blowing it out with an airline which has shifted some dirt but still some in there and it's affecting the sight picture.

Henry