LP10E Grip mod

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bishu57

LP10E Grip mod

Post by bishu57 »

Newbie shooter (Last 6 months). Had been struggling with getting a proper "grip". Proper grip defined as - consistent holding of the pistol in exactly the same place and consistent trigger finger placement.

My original grip on the steyr LP10E was way uncomfortable to hold and hence took the plunge and invested in a Rink Grip. Sent the hand sketch to Rink and waited patiently for 8 weeks to get the same.

Huge improvement in the Grip but as people on the forum have said , no grip is exactly perfect for your own hand and needs to be customised. In my case (in hindsight ) should have ordered for the "Extra volume" option with Rink. If you have large hands this is the way to go.

To cut a long story short, after a lot of experiment , and research the best way to add volume to your pistol grip is "Sugru" some other members have already mentioned the same.

Sugru is the easiest to apply and customise on your grip and gives you a lot of working time ,as long as you continue to knead it to keep it malleable

Highly recommended for anyone looking to add volume to / modify their grip
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
The texture is achieved by just pushing the tip of a ball point pen into the surface of Sugru while it is hardening
The texture is achieved by just pushing the tip of a ball point pen into the surface of Sugru while it is hardening
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Does anyone else smell a little spam sizzling in the frying pan?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Could be, but any "kneadable" two part epoxy will do as well. You can buy half a dozen at the hardware store.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I rather doubt spam. The Sugru community has grown very quickly over the past few years, mostly by word of mouth from one happy customer to another. A couple of other pistol shooters here on TT have indeed posted their grip modifications using the stuff. I used it to build up the thumb rest on my Rink grip, after a bit of colour blending with some pigment powders. It hardens nicely, like a hard eraser. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone experiencing gripping problems due to sweating though, as even stippled with lots of texture it's got a slippery feel when wet. For building bulk or shaping around the fingers though it's ideal, as he says, because it's so easy to form for about 20 minutes then cures by the next day to a permanent hard rubber firmness which can also be carved with a sharp knife or gouge if you've put on too much.

Not spam, definitely not. This is a shooter talking about his grip modifications, that's all.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

My apologies to the OP and the board.
bishu57

Definitely not spam :-)

Post by bishu57 »

Legitimate doubt to an extent by todd..., but definitely that was not my intention here. Maybe my post sounded a bit too enthusiastic but there is a reason for that , after struggling through saw dust mixed with glue, wood putty and what not the ease and more importantly the ability to get an exact shape and fit on the grip blew me away with this material.

@gerard, thanks for the vote. :-) appreciated.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have a Nill grip that I need to remove material for reduced volume. Wish me luck
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You'll get the hang of it, after three pounds of sawdust.
bishu57

Post by bishu57 »

Hi Jack, my only bit of advise on the matter "Go Slow". Having learnt the hard way, i would say removing material is the greater of the two challenges , adding you can undo and revert back to the original hence less riskier

And please, remove material in small increments and in between use the gun for regular shooting as per your schedule, you never know when you will get the "exactly right" grip feel.

Best of luck and do keep us updated
tirpassion

Post by tirpassion »

I was wondering if materials like rubber compounds (sugru), leather, cork sheets etc are permitted for grip modification. All these are relatively softer than wood and would in some way add an advantage to gripping / adherence to the palm surface.
Personally, I do the job with ready made wood paste (wood dust mixed with a certain adhesive) which hardens within a minute or two.

I did not find anything in the ISSF rules for AP grip but still have a doubt. Will any expert kindly throw some light?

regards
tirpassion
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

tirpassion wrote:I was wondering if materials like rubber compounds (sugru), leather, cork sheets etc are permitted for grip modification. All these are relatively softer than wood and would in some way add an advantage to gripping / adherence to the palm surface.
There is no problem with the material providing that the shape complies with ISSF rules 8.12 & 8.13