Northeastern Illinois?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Telecomtodd

Northeastern Illinois?

Post by Telecomtodd »

Hello all - it's been a long six months since I last regularly visited this site. I moved from North Carolina for a new job opportunity just northwest of Chicago - money talks, although several good friends suggested I had lost my mind, LOL. I sold my rifles knowing I was going to have a very difficult time finding a place to shoot them here. I kept my pistols though and found an indoor range not too far from our place.

I sent out e-mails to a bunch of folks asking for info, help, etc. but have found very little. I know of a local airgun club and a highpower match group over the state line in Wisconsin, but no smallbore clubs or matches within at least 4 hours driving distance; that's just too far for me.

The local Scout council has asked me to join their executive board and also chair their Shooting Sports program. As a part of the program, they are asking me to rebuild one range, and I'd like to make it at least a 50 yard range (really hoping for a regulation 100) and eventualy make it semi-available for smallbore matches. With directed donations and permitting already started, it may happen faster than expected.

So - anyone here from northeastern Illinois or have friends here who might have an interest in donating or participating in this plan? Please PM me.

Thanks and good shooting.
pal177

Post by pal177 »

We're close enough to you for indoor smallbore rifle at 50 ft, and air rifle/pistol at 10m. See wheatonrifleclub.org for details (don't get thrown by the "Wheaton" name - we are in the Carol Stream/West Chicago area) Our club pres. is also very involved with Boy Scouts (as are some members), and probably would share some Shooting Sports ideas with you.

For pistol, the closest club would be Elgin Rifle & Pistol Club, east side of town, don't know if they have a website. Indoor 50 ft range, and bullseye pistol including winter leagues.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Thanks for your post, I'll check out the link you provided. So if there was a 50 yard (minimum) outdoor smallbore-specific range, there would be interest? Obviously weather permitting!
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

There is a smallbore league at the ISRA range.near Kankaee. There is an indoor smallbore league between Elgin Rifle and Wheaton Rifle clubs.

If you want Pistol, there is a very active bullseye league in the area and Elgin has a winter league. There used to be a league at Bass Pro Shops in Gurnee. Not sure if it's still active.

Where are you looking to set up a smallbore range? I know lots of people who would be interested. Some might even help:-)
NMC_EXP

Post by NMC_EXP »

Recommend you join the state rifle association (ISRA). The ISRA range at Bonfield/Kankakee has outdoor smallbore events.

My club is within your 4 hour radius. We conduct three NRA approved conventional outdoor prone 1600 tournaments per season. Our last event is this Saturday, Sept 28. There are four open slots at this time.

The location is the Ft Defiance R&P Club at Wyoming IL which is approx. 25 miles north of Peoria.

I have (hopefully) attached a program.

Be advised I sometimes have problems posting here - I do not think my OS gets along with this website very well.

Regards

Jim
Attachments
2013_SMALLBORE_MATCH_PROGRAM_CHG01.doc
(18 KiB) Downloaded 91 times