Target dot reticles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

clamdigger

Target dot reticles

Post by clamdigger »

I have a Leupold EFR scope with a target dot reticle. I want to have them swap out the reticle for one with a larger dot. What are my options for sizes of the dot? Sometimes it is difficult to see the dot so I was thinking perhaps one twice as big would be good. Your thoughts? Not sure what Leupold offers in their custom shop.

I also assume the dot should be black but was thinking perhaps the dot could be red or other colors? Is that practical or even legal for NRA prone matches?
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Leupold has 1/8, 3/8, and 1/2 inch dots from the custom shop. The color will be black. I prefer the CPC reticle with the 1/2 dot. The CPC cross hairs are very thin but can still be seen for cant. The catalog pictures of the reticles are pretty exaggerated, The CPC is thinner than depicted in the catalog.
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

1/4 moa seems to be best for old eyes and SB prone. Also look at the Trijicon TR23-1G with an illuminated green dot, great for really old eyes.
Ed
Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible »

I used to use an EFR with that tiny dot and then changed scopes to a 25x Competition Series with the 3/8 dot. I was concerend at first that the dot would be too big but after one card I was in love and never looked back! On the few occasions where I have put the EFR back on it takes some getting used to finding the small dot. I can see the use of tiny dots at high power for benchrest, but for shooting from position I want something bigger.

Justin Tracy
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

I shoot CMP RFS 3P sometimes and use a Leupold 3 X 9 X 33 rimfire AO EFR with a Leupold 1/8 MOA target dot with no problem. No problems with the rapid fire stages either. 1/4 MOA is too big IMHO.