piggy backing a small bag on a roll along

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

masaki

Post by masaki »

What do you call the sleeve, bottomless envelop or the wide and long loop stitched on a briefcase into which a roll along's telescopic handle can be inserted into?
Sorry for the crude question. I am an English-as-a-second-language.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I know exactly what you mean but I have never heard of a name for it. It gives you a free hand when travelling.

I would just call it a "loop to slide over the handle of a rolling suitcase".
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Do you mean "a pocket"?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Trooperjake wrote:Do you mean "a pocket"?
Not if it's what I think the OP is talking about.

It's like a strap across the back of a briefcase, say 8-9 inches long, fixed to the briefcase at the ends only.

When you're travelling with the briefcase and a rolling suitcase that has an extending hande you just push that extending handle through the strap. The briefcase then sits on top of the suitcase but is effectively fixed securely to it. You can then pull both items along with one hand on the handle, freeing up the other hand.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

OK, now I understand.
Do you mean a Bungee Cord?
Attachments
image.jpg
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Trooperjake wrote:OK, now I understand.
Do you mean a Bungee Cord?
No

Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

That looks like a specially built attaché case, for that purpose.
A bungee cord would work for an ordinary case.
They make bungee cords with a flat surface.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Trooperjake wrote:That looks like a specially built attaché case, for that purpose.
They're quite common, at least here in the UK.

I didn't buy it because of the strap, it's just my range bag (actually a multi-compartment computer bag).
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Call me clueless!!!
That's what that strap on my computer bag is for! Thanks
masaki

Post by masaki »

David,
Thank you very much for deciphering and elaborating my question. I really appreciate your effort helping me. I realized the "loop" on the back of the briefcase is nameless, and not only in UK but also in Japan, they are common. It seems they are rare in US.

Guys who looked at my question,
I was writing an article about commuting between my home and work by train with a small rolling suitcase filled with my AP and range gears and a briefcase filled with biz items. At the time when I posted the question, I came to a point where I have to describe the "loop" of the briefcase and I wondered what they call it. It is, in Japan, common but nameless. So, I posted the question hoping answers saying "It is called <something> in <a country>".

As of yet, "loop" is a leading candidate, I think. Could anyone please give this part more appropriate name?

Thanks.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Masaki -

This looks like a perfect opportunity to make a contribution to the English language. English is a very welcoming language with loan words and neologisms readily accepted as long as they are useful and (relatively) euphonious. If you can come up with something that works in Japanese as well as English, it's a double win!

Good luck -

Roger
jr

Post by jr »

Masaki-san,

Well, your English is way better than my Japanese.

I think that maybe the best word for that would simply be "strap". There is the term "add-a-bag-strap", but that's the name of a specific company's product. There's the term "rollaboard strap", but that only gives just a few hits on Google, so even though it's accurate, precise, and descriptive it is not in widespread use in English. After I looked at some descriptions of rollaboard bag / laptop bag sets, it seems like most of them just call it a strap, as in "...it has a strap where I can put it on the handle of my rollaboard..." and "...the laptop bag has a strap across it that allows me to slide it down the handle of the rollaboard..."

Good luck with your article,
日本で生まれたjr