ISSF world championships

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Levergun59

ISSF world championships

Post by Levergun59 »

At Benning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaymZc_QjUA
Pretty interesting.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I'm afraid this is the World Cup, not the World Championship.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Excuse my ignorance, but when is the "world championships" other than the Olympics ?

Are we picking nits here ?

Just saying...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

C. Perkins wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but when is the "world championships" other than the Olympics ?
The World Championships are held 2 years after (or before) the Olympics.

Each country that is affiliated to the ISSF is entitled to send 3 shooters to compete in each of the 23 mandatory events, plus possibly others, subject to maximum team sizes.

The next World Championships are in September 2014 in Granada, Spain.

If the rules (when finalised) for the next Olympics are the same as for the last one then there will be a maximum total of 390 shooters competing in 15 events.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Just to add a little bit.

Olympics and the World Championship run every four years, with two years in between them, so every two years there is a big event. However, some events only appear in the World Championships, such as 300FR60PR, in which case they are not Olympic sport, hence no finals.

Meanwhile every year there are four World Cups for the Olympic events, and at the end of the year there is a Final in which the best performers of these events can attend. The maximum seems to be ten people: Olympic or World Champion depends on the cycle, the previous years World Cup Finals winner, and the top eight finishers of the four World Cups, based on points given via positions and scoring record. For example, a person can tie a world record but ended up 8th in the final of a world cup event (1+15) = 16, while the person who won it has a low qualifying score (in this example, 16 points from the world record), so the person ended up (15+0) = 15. That means if these two people tie for the eighth spot to qualify for the World Cup Finals, the one with the 16 points actually get in. Also, no country can send in more than two athletes to the World Cup Final.

Continental championships are held in various years level depends on the continent.

These are the only events which an official world record can be set. CISM world records are not related to ISSF records, even though many athletes are in the military.
conradin

Post by conradin »

David Levene wrote: If the rules (when finalised) for the next Olympics are the same as for the last one then there will be a maximum total of 390 shooters competing in 15 events.
Do you think will they ever allow women double trap in the program? Also how come men have 50M prone but women has none?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

[quote="conradin Also how come men have 50M prone but women has none?[/quote]

That is a good question, and I would be interested to hear an informed answer. It's odd that there is a ladies prone match in the World Championships but not at the Olympics.

I may be worth bearing in mind that the smallbore Free Rifle match was mixed (I'm not sure about the prone), it was not until after Margaret Murdoch tied with Lanny Bassham in Montreal '76, that the event became men only. Women had to wait until 1984 for the Standard Rifle 3x20 to be introduced.

I think the answer will be no, as the trend is to reduce the number of events, rather than increase these. However it is a shame that there is no women's prone
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Thanks gentlemen for the information.

Never really thought of those shoots being a world championship as compaired to the Olympics.

I guess it makes sense.

Clarence
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

When I posted this, my only real insight was: here is eight of the best shooters in the world, and you can watch their shooting styles, equipment they use, time management and the new format. It is a 49 minute visual training tool. Whether it is world Cup, Championships or Olympics is sort of insignificant.
Chris