78%
Styer LG110
22%

Total votes: 9

Bob259

Which 10M Air rifle would you chose

Post by Bob259 »

and why...

Looking at the Anschutz 9003 and the Styer LG110. I had a Styer LG100AZ that I had for field target and am now looking for a 10M rifle. I know looks don't mean anything, but I like the looks of the Anschutz and it seems to have more adjustability and I like the markings for making changes. Now that is seems Anschutz owns Styer what are the plus's and minus's of the two. Big investment either way so trying to do all the leg work to make the right decision.
Thanks in advance for your input.
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

I suggest you talk to a fellow competitor and ask them to use their rifle to see if you like it, most are more than willing to do so. Also from my own personal experience I find that the Walther LG400 is a very nice rifle (I own a FWB 700) it is very light, and as such can be more readily be adjusted to a persons preferences. Just my opinion ;)
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I had an AZ Steyr LG100 with every possible upgrade. I also had a standard LG110 in 22. Both were super accurate, but I could not hold either well. Again this is a personal statement, but I really did not like either Steyr. I currently own the Anschutz 9003 Precise, and the Walther LG400. Both fit better than the Steyr, and I prefer the Walther.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Another vote for the Walther LG400 here too. I have just had a chance to try out my daughters rifle and it is really good to shoot, even in the basic Alutec stock.

Alan
Bob259

Post by Bob259 »

BigAl wrote:Another vote for the Walther LG400 here too. I have just had a chance to try out my daughters rifle and it is really good to shoot, even in the basic Alutec stock.

Alan
And here I thought I had it narrowed down to 2. I also hear I should look at the FWB 700.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Walther LG 400 if it fits. It has the best trigger that I have ever felt bar none.
Matt
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

Both rifles are excellent choices; you need to choose the one that fits you best. As a thought, I really wish there was a way to "rent" rifles before you buy them! I have been wanting to hold and try out the walther lg400 for quite some time now, but due to my location, I can't really try out any rifles, unless someone else nearby purchases one.
Bob259

Post by Bob259 »

Jordan1s wrote:Both rifles are excellent choices; you need to choose the one that fits you best. As a thought, I really wish there was a way to "rent" rifles before you buy them! I have been wanting to hold and try out the walther lg400 for quite some time now, but due to my location, I can't really try out any rifles, unless someone else nearby purchases one.
Agree 100%!
Oklahoma Jim

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

I like my Anschutz 8002 a lot. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. The other rifles mentioned here are also good choices, but I'm partial to my Annie for 10M shooting. I like my Air Arms 510SL for other chores.

We shoot silhouettes at 10M every Thursday night at our local indoor range and I've shot most of the rifles mentioned here. All the shooters are more than willing to let anyone try their rifles. It's a great bunch of guys.

If you are considering an FWB, please note that the cocking lever can make it difficult to mount a scope. This won't be a problem if you shoot peep sights. You might check out the Yellow Forum classifieds for a gently used rifle. There's a bargain or two on there once in a while.
Bob259

Post by Bob259 »

Oklahoma Jim wrote:I like my Anschutz 8002 a lot. It is very accurate and easy to shoot. The other rifles mentioned here are also good choices, but I'm partial to my Annie for 10M shooting. I like my Air Arms 510SL for other chores.

We shoot silhouettes at 10M every Thursday night at our local indoor range and I've shot most of the rifles mentioned here. All the shooters are more than willing to let anyone try their rifles. It's a great bunch of guys.

If you are considering an FWB, please note that the cocking lever can make it difficult to mount a scope. This won't be a problem if you shoot peep sights. You might check out the Yellow Forum classifieds for a gently used rifle. There's a bargain or two on there once in a while.
Jim my intent is to also use it for a Jr's 3P rifle and for me for Target class in Air Silhouette. So scope mounting is critical and I was told that you can't mount a scope on the Walther, but I've seen them at matches so it must be possible. Of course Pyramad Air says both are not scopeable and I know the Anscuytz has a rail as does the Styer so that was way I was focusing on those two. If I get a Styer it will be from Pilk, just wished they had them all to help with the decision :). I'm going to have to see if I can find a Walther here to shoulder it and try it.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Mounting a scope on a LG 400 is not impossible, but you would definitely need a 1" tube, and the tube length and positioning of both the ocular bell and the windage knob would be critical. You could though move the cocking leaver over on to the LHS of the rifle to give clearance for the windage turret, but only if you had a front adjustable PA, side focus would not be good. I have not tried it but I think fitting something like my Sightron BR 36× or a Weaver T36 would work. I can try putting the scope in place and grabbing a photo if it would really help. If you really need to be able to fit a scope as well I guess that you would want to use a rifle with a horizontally operating leaver, rather than the vertical ones on the Walther's (LG 300 & LG 400) or FWB's (P700 P800)

Alan
Bob259

Post by Bob259 »

BigAl wrote:Mounting a scope on a LG 400 is not impossible, but you would definitely need a 1" tube, and the tube length and positioning of both the ocular bell and the windage knob would be critical. You could though move the cocking leaver over on to the LHS of the rifle to give clearance for the windage turret, but only if you had a front adjustable PA, side focus would not be good. I have not tried it but I think fitting something like my Sightron BR 36× or a Weaver T36 would work. I can try putting the scope in place and grabbing a photo if it would really help. If you really need to be able to fit a scope as well I guess that you would want to use a rifle with a horizontally operating leaver, rather than the vertical ones on the Walther's (LG 300 & LG 400) or FWB's (P700 P800)

Alan
Thanks Alan, that helps a lot.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

How big is your Jr. My son is 125lbs and the Feinwerkbau 700 at 9.5lbs was the best pick for him. Standing is tough with a heavy rifle and a small Jr.
Bob259

Post by Bob259 »

Levergun59 wrote:How big is your Jr. My son is 125lbs and the Feinwerkbau 700 at 9.5lbs was the best pick for him. Standing is tough with a heavy rifle and a small Jr.
It's my nieces daughter and only 12 right now and is small in stature so that is a concern. This will be a multipurpose rifle for her, myself and as a extra rifle for our Jr shooters that are all sizes if they grow out of the club rifles and want to try something with a little more adjustability. Both the Styer and Anschutz are the heaviest of those mentioned unfortunately.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Bob259 wrote:
Levergun59 wrote:How big is your Jr. My son is 125lbs and the Feinwerkbau 700 at 9.5lbs was the best pick for him. Standing is tough with a heavy rifle and a small Jr.
It's my nieces daughter and only 12 right now and is small in stature so that is a concern. This will be a multipurpose rifle for her, myself and as a extra rifle for our Jr shooters that are all sizes if they grow out of the club rifles and want to try something with a little more adjustability. Both the Styer and Anschutz are the heaviest of those mentioned unfortunately.
Our club has two Walther LG 300's one a junior and the other the standard laminate wooden stock. The Junior stock is ambi and the std stock is RH. The main difference is in the size more so than the weight, you would need to be comparing them side by side to really notice the difference in weight. The Junior is actually quite small, although it suits quite a lot of ladies. My daughter Rosie is shooting a LG 400 Alutec Basic, which to be honest is very little different in weight to the LG 300 in the standard stock. The Junior stock is not available for the 400 though, although the wife of RobinC who posts on here has a LG 400 in a converted Junior stock. The FWB 700 that the club has in the Universal stock is quite a bit heavier than any of the Walther rifles that are being used. We have no one shooting Anschutz air rifles at the club, but we do have one guy with a Steyr LG110, but I have not picked up his rifle, so cannot comment on the weight.

Alan