Please educate me about Morini Grip Paste

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
javaduke

Please educate me about Morini Grip Paste

Post by javaduke »

I need to fill some voids in my grip and I was told by one fellow shooter to get some Morini grip paste. My understanding is that this is some sort of two-part epoxy, but I also vaguely remember reading somewhere about it being reversible - that is, if I ever decide to sell or replace my grips, I can remove the alterations relatively easily. Wondering if anyone has any experience in removing the paste from the grips. Is it really that easy?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

In principle, yes. The stuff is pretty soft (it's rebranded italian wood filler, not body filler, at about 5 times the original price). If you put it on a sealed surface, it doesn't stick very well, but can be removed almost without trace. If you do it right, and prepare the grip (sanding etc.) before applying the paste, it sticks pretty well to it. I wouldn't modify a grip with a view to sell it, though, makes no sense - it's there to be used...
Chris

Post by Chris »

I think most people you would sell it to might actually find your changes an improvement OR they will need to make modifications for their hand which could be adding or removing what you did.

I would modify it so you can enjoy it and get the most from it.

Also I would recommend looking at Quickwood. It is about $5-6 a tube Since using this I very rarely sand. I can add just what I need and most of the time I do not need to remove any.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Quickwood....hmmmm. I'll have to check that out. I've been using a two part epoxy that I just snip off a piece with a scissor and then knead it (there are many brands). It works well.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Guys, I use KwikWood also; I read about it, here on the forum. It's an

epoxy, not a putty.

It has a work time of 15-25 minutes and fully cures in an hour. I think

it is easy to form and work with for the first 15 min. When cured it files and sands

easily, yet cures very hard in a couple of hours. I don't recall how many

shades are available. I'm using a tan color. It's produced by the J-B Weld

Company; I think I paid about $3.00 for a single tube. look up the site for

detailed specs about the product.

Tony
antispar

Post by antispar »

„Morini“ grip paste is in a polyester putty designed for repair and gluing of wood (darker colouration). It is made by Italian company Industria Chimica Reggiana from Reggio nell'Emilia, city in the northern Italy. Morini rebranded it and, as Tycho says, sells it for five times the original price. Its retail price in Croatia is around € 6 for 125 ml tin.

It is very good for what is designed. It dries in circa 45 minutes to degree when it is fully machinable, if you got the ratio of hardener and the base paste right. The colour fits the colour of dark wood usually found in pistol grips. It is softer and weaker then epoxy putty but in that way mimics the natural wood better. What can be a problem is grease that accumulated on the grip in the course of usage, which prevent adequate bonding between the filler and wood. Grease can be successfully removed with acetone, if you don’t want to send the grip before. Eventual problem with a thin layer of putty that flakes away can be solved using a cyanoacrylate glue (“super glue”) as a primer for the surface where the edges are (thanks Gerard for this).

See the link:

http://www.icrsprint.it/index.php?optio ... odes=20030