New ammo from Eley

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

svensta

New ammo from Eley

Post by svensta »

Hi I am new to these forums. I was wondering if anyone knows about Eley "Edge" ammunition http://www.eley.co.uk/en/edge/. Someone at my club came across this new ammo recently and apparently it's supposed to be better then the "Match" brand. It also has a black shell casing. The kicker is it's apparently cheaper than "Match" too but I can't be sure of that cos it does not seem to be in stock anywhere.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You might find this thread interesting.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I am going to post this in the smallbore forum cause the other forum was started with a question of Edge used in a pistol which i have already discounted it in such use unless it is for 25 yards and even then used in a pinch.

I went out this morning to do an ammo test out of my smallbore rifle.
This test is only my experiment and your mileage may vary.

Mounted my 1954 BSA International MKII with a Redfield 24X and shot off of front and rear bags at 50 yards shooting 2x10 shot groups with 20 shots to season the barrel before shooting for group.

I will list them best to worse of my ammo test in my rifle.
Group measurements are center to center.

Just wanted to ad that all of these will still hold the 10 ring on a 50 meter target.
I need to do the same test at 100 yards but am good with these results at 50.

Eley Ten X
LOT# WQ-480
.427"

Eley Target
LOT# 3113-30109
.473"

Lapua Center X
LOT# 29545 512575
.582"

Eley Edge
LOT# 3013-30095 1046
.691"

CCI-SV
.771"

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Hap Rocketto

Eley Edge

Post by Hap Rocketto »

conradin

Post by conradin »

Strange, Edge is supposed to be designed for rifle, Clarence's test showed that it was just average. I think a test between Edge, Team, and Midas+ will give us a better insight, at 50m.
Last edited by conradin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Midas+ should be in a different league - and at a different price point...

(Usual caveats about different batches and different barrels may apply.)
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

conradin wrote:Strange, Edge is supposed to be designed for rifle, Clarence's test showed that it was just average. I think a test between Edge, Team, and Midas+ will give us a better insight, at 50m.
Conradin,

I think you're missing the point somewhat. Edge is not made (or priced) as top-end ammo, a rival to Tenex, RWS R50, or Lapua Midas and Xact. Edge is marketed for juniors, beginners, and casual shooters who want a product more accurate that Club, but cheaper than Match, and available in greater quantities than Team. Team was a by product of Match and Tenex, batches that didn't quite make the grade for those brands, so it was available only when it occured, more or less by chance.

Given it's price, Edge is not going to be a miracle product, guaranteeing 600s all round. But in some rifles, where the magic that governs smallbore accuracy works, it will shoot well enough. In other rifles the results may not so-so, or poor. Perhaps Clarence's rifle just doesn't like Edge, or maybe just not that batch (then again none of the results were stellar). Tests done by other people in other rifles can only give the most general guide. The only way to find out if Edge (or any other ammunition) shoots accurately in a particular rifle is to try some, perferably testing several different lots.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Just want to reinterate that I am by no means saying Eley Edge is bad.
It just does not work for me in any of my .22's
I have read some good comments about it from others out of there rifles.
Bottom line is that everyone needs to test it out for themselves.

Clarence

P.S.
Talked to Cathy today a Good Shooting Sales.
They are out of that LOT# of Eley Target, dang it !
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Clarence- Just because that one lot of ammo shot sub optimally in your rifle does not mean your rifle will not like other lots of the same ammo. I have tested many lots of ammo through a machine rest and have had lots of Eley Tenex that shot groups that were unacceptable while the next lot will hold 12-13mm groups. Also, my lot of Tenex will not shoot worth a darn in other rifles. Its all about the lot numbers...

Conradin-The only difference between ammo that is designed for rifle vs. pistol is the shape of the bullet(for Eley). Rifle ammo is the flat nose bullet with the nipple. Pistol ammo is the more traditional round nose ammo. This is only because some of the ISSF pistol events use a semi auto pistol and it aids in reliable functioning. As stated above about lot numbers, there is a particular lot of Tenex Pistol that shoots really well through my rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a match.
Matt
conradin

Post by conradin »

WesternGrizzly wrote: Conradin-The only difference between ammo that is designed for rifle vs. pistol is the shape of the bullet(for Eley). Rifle ammo is the flat nose bullet with the nipple. Pistol ammo is the more traditional round nose ammo. This is only because some of the ISSF pistol events use a semi auto pistol and it aids in reliable functioning. As stated above about lot numbers, there is a particular lot of Tenex Pistol that shoots really well through my rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a match.
Matt
Thank you, I am only concern about rifle ammo because I shoot FP. I will only buy pistol ammo for my misses who owns the IZH-35, which I refuse to touch.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Conradin;

Only shooting rifle ammo out of a free pistol is not necessary.
I have shot Eley 10X and it is no more getting me a higher score than Eley Match pistol at 998-1002 fps.(these are the two LOT's that I have for my FP)
good stuff and pistol match is generally cheaper than rifle match ammo.
Again, you need to test.

In my honest opinion find a modest priced quality round that shoots in your gun and go with it, but do not skimp and go cheap but you never know what your gun likes until you try it.

Just remember that no matter how good your ammunition is, it will do no good if your technique is not honed.

Hone your skills on good ammunition and when you reach that next level go for the better stuff.
JMHO

I know there are two camps of thinking, but that is another chapter.

One is that you need the best equipment and the best ammo matched to your equipment or to paraphrase from an individual "if you cannot afford the best then you should do something else".

Second is have decent equipment with decent ammo to match and hone your skills until you arise to the next level.
It is called saving money, to me.

I am just a good shooter, not a great shooter, for what it is worth.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
conradin

Post by conradin »

I use Tenex, Match, and Team. Since Team is being phrased out I find it interesting to follow this thread about Edge. The one that I use most often is actually Match. They never seem to fail me.