Light vs Heavy Pellets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Light vs Heavy Pellets

Post by brent375hh »

My GUN shoots heavy pellets better than light. I shoot light pellets better than heavy. My assumption is that the heavy pellets still have a slight recoil that causes some stringing if my grip differs while the light pellets have less of this effect.
For now I will shoot the light version as they all shoot 10's. While I own the 8's, I seem to have fewer of them with the light pellets.
conradin

Re: Light vs Heavy Pellets

Post by conradin »

brent375hh wrote:My GUN shoots heavy pellets better than light. I shoot light pellets better than heavy. My assumption is that the heavy pellets still have a slight recoil that causes some stringing if my grip differs while the light pellets have less of this effect.
For now I will shoot the light version as they all shoot 10's. While I own the 8's, I seem to have fewer of them with the light pellets.
I have never quite understand the difference between them. I almost always use rifle pellets (heavy) than pistol. The only pistol I use light is the FWB65.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Brent, I kinda doubt what you say. In my fairly extensive testing with several APs, I found NO difference in groups size with heavy or light pellets.

That said, I use light pellets for no particular reason except that I MAY get cleaner target holes.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:I use light pellets for no particular reason except that I MAY get cleaner target holes.
How does it work? The difference in grain is minute.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I get as much as 45fps faster (with the same setting) with light over heavy pellets (with excellent accuracy).

I realize you MAY tune the velocity to increase accuracy, but many times it's unnecessary, especially if you can't shoot well enough to keep your shots in the 9 ring.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

If the gun is more accurate with one type of pellet - Then use that one.
If YOU are more accurate with a faster (lighter) pellet, then work on your trigger technique. Chances are you are moving the gun as you fire and the longer it takes for the pellet to get out the barrel, the greater the effect this has. (Have you access to a Scatt -tells all...)
If you speed the gun up, you may help things - but suggest you set it up in a vice adjusting the speed to get the best groups.
And lastly, and I would not have believed this if I had not done my own testing - you will get different levels of accuracy with different batches of 'identical pellets'. Is it worth the effort and cost to batch test and buy in bulk - depends how much a couple of points are worth to you.

So use better pellets, improve your trigger, and tune the speed and I'll see you in Rio.

McT
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:I get as much as 45fps faster (with the same setting) with light over heavy pellets (with excellent accuracy).
What difference does it make in 45 fps? Just a minute fraction of less follow through? Also if the match is outdoors, I would presume rifle is better..and yes, we do have PTO outdoors here, it is actually very pleasant than a serious, cramp space of an indoor range.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote: That said, I use light pellets for no particular reason except that I MAY get cleaner target holes.
What does it mean by NOT clean target holes? Do you mean the holes will not be perfectly circular?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

You're being a bit argumentative with Rover it seems, but perhaps I misread your comments. Anyone who has tested pistols (or rifles for that matter) over various velocities ranging from say 400fps to 550fps using wadcutter pellets will know that even in the nicest targets (Kruger, etc.) the holes become more 'crisp' in definition at higher velocities. I have recently reduced the velocity of my Pardini K10 for example, to about 445fps. At 525fps it was cutting very perfect round holes, easily measurable for scoring, with a clearly defined lead stain around the cut edge. This made scoring a pair of overlapping holes almost in the same location very easy to differentiate. But at 445fps the same pellets show very little lead on the paper and the holes are rather more ragged, and when holes overlap it is at times difficult to see whether it's one hole or two. If two holes aren't touching but are close, at the lower velocity the paper will tear and the result is a peanut shaped hole. At 500fps+ this doesn't happen unless the holes are within less than 1mm of each other.

As it happens my K10 groups better in a vice when at 445fps, and has a lower muzzle flip in the hand, so that's where I'm shooting it now. Holes are scoreable, just not quite so pretty.

So yeah, using a lighter pellet, if it shoots well in your gun, will result in a higher muzzle velocity and thereby a cleaner target hole. Have you never tested this?
conradin

Post by conradin »

I have used both pistol and rifle pallets before, the difference is minute to the point that I cannot tell. In PTO we do not use the best targets, so it does not matter the target hole may not be perfect. I always score with an eagle eye so it does not matter much. Since usually we were give 2 shots per target it does not really matter much as the eagle eye can clearly distinguish between the two. I find it is more important to have the best quality targets than the pellets themselves. I reserved my Edelman, I usually use Cibles, and only when I don't care and just doing weight training (shooting a can and a half non stop) will I pull out the NTC made targets. NTC is HORRIBLE.

What I personally more concerned is the head size, hence I have pallets of 4.48, 4.49 and 4.5. But that is a totally different topic.

Yes, Rover and I do have an argument about beer!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Agreed on the Eagle Eye making even slightly ragged holes quite easy to score. But at matches I've entered most shots are scored without it. In fact I've heard from two officials and from my own RO that the Eagle Eye is not trusted since the official can place his/her eye in quite a wide range of locations relative to the lens and as such slightly distort the viewed position of the hole slightly depending on viewing habits. I don't get that, since the plastic is cut on the face where it touches the paper and as such no distortion seems possible... but didn't want to argue with my RO, so next session I brought my own Eagle Eye which I'd modified using a plastic opaque disk with a 1/8" hole in the middle. Pretty hard to change viewing angles that way. He thought it was interesting, but not enough so to change his mind about the tool.

As for the beer argument, I'm onside with Rover. Life's just too short not to drink good beer. Or wine for that matter. And I'm rather fond of the more delicately flavoured lambics, especially framboise or abricot.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I also have overlay and plug just in case. Finally it is a habit in a match that you score for yourself, then hand over your scores and targets for the match official to score. Sometimes three people score: yourself, a peer, and then the match official. Multiple signatures are good.

I am not at a level of worrying about that yet. I am in the middle of a big adjustment of shooting, and hence improvement; but yes, I begin to get more and more shots hitting very close to each other.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I particularly enjoy the lower priced but excellent Spanish wines. It may just be nostalgia for the place. What fun sipping and sampling my way across the country before frolicing into Provence!

And Conradin: Screw pellet head size. It doesn't matter.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:Screw pellet head size. It doesn't matter.
You just took the bait.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:I particularly enjoy the lower priced but excellent Spanish wines.
I drink Italian, nothing else much. In particular Chianti, which I treat it like water. Spent time studying in Florence so I was ingrained to it. In fact, it is a Tuscan table manner for the men on the table to finish up an entire unfinished flask or jug when the women are done.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Screw pellet head size. It doesn't matter."

At least you know I'm right.

My girlfriend got her MA in Firenze. I prefer the Sangiovese (grape they make chianti from) wines, but love the Brunello.

In Spain, many restaurants will put a full bottle of wine on the table at no extra charge. You just drink what you care to.
David M

Post by David M »

If you are not shooting 575+, don't worry about pellet size or weight.
Just shoot......worry about it later.
conradin

Post by conradin »

At 575+ you are already a World Cup level competitor. 563 is the MQS. IMHO one should start thinking about it around 540, because a variance of grouping tightness can move you anywhere from 510 to 570.(9 ring: half a ring left, half a ring right).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:IMHO one should start thinking about it around 540,
At that level you should be thinking more about your fitness and technique, and sorting out the problems you obviously have.

Just buy a reasonable grade of pellets and learn how to shoot consistently.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

conradin wrote:At 575+ you are already a World Cup level competitor. 563 is the MQS. IMHO one should start thinking about it around 540, because a variance of grouping tightness can move you anywhere from 510 to 570.(9 ring: half a ring left, half a ring right).
It obviously makes sense to get the right head size but most guns come with a test card indicating what was used, most shooters stick to that. You really won't get a variance anything like as great as you mention with good quality match pellets, no matter what the size. Obvious caveat that you 'obviously' wouldn't use a pellet so loose that it falls out of the barrel.

Rob.