FP Rules Question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
joel

FP Rules Question

Post by joel »

Is it legal to wear a sweatband on the shooting wrist in Free Pistol?

TIA,

Joel
rmca

Post by rmca »

No.

8.4.1.1 Grips. For dimensions and details of grips see the PISTOL SPECIFICATION TABLE and the PISTOL CONFIGURATION DRAWINGS.

· Neither the grip nor any part of the pistol may be extended or constructed in any way that would allow it to touch beyond the hand. The wrist must remain visibly free when the pistol is held in the normal firing position. Bracelets, wristwatches, wristbands, or similar items are prohibited on the hand and arm that holds the pistol;

Like with hand covers, (rule 8.4.3.3) you cannot cover the wrist.
joel

Post by joel »

Thanks for the quick answer.

Then, am I allowed to add some sort of padding to the grip so that my wrist doesn't get hammered?

Joel
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

rmca wrote:No.

8.4.1.1 Grips. For dimensions and details of grips see the PISTOL SPECIFICATION TABLE and the PISTOL CONFIGURATION DRAWINGS.

· Neither the grip nor any part of the pistol may be extended or constructed in any way that would allow it to touch beyond the hand. The wrist must remain visibly free when the pistol is held in the normal firing position. Bracelets, wristwatches, wristbands, or similar items are prohibited on the hand and arm that holds the pistol;

Like with hand covers, (rule 8.4.3.3) you cannot cover the wrist.
I sure wish the ISSF would allow tennis elbow straps. This malady drives many older shooters out of the sport. :-(

Stan
renzo

Post by renzo »

joel wrote:Thanks for the quick answer.

Then, am I allowed to add some sort of padding to the grip so that my wrist doesn't get hammered?

Joel

It's FP: you can tailor your grip as much as you want, provided it doesn't extend beyond your hand.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Your shooting hand cannot have anything on it. As for the grip you can do whatever you like as long as it will not support your wrist by extension.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:Your shooting hand cannot have anything on it.
If you mean something like a glove then you're wrong I'm afraid, with the usual caveat that "Neither the grip nor any part of the pistol may be extended or constructed in any way that would allow it to touch beyond the hand. The wrist must remain visibly free when the pistol is held in the normal firing position. Bracelets, wristwatches,wristbands, or similar items are prohibited on the hand and arm that holds the pistol"
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

conradin wrote:Your shooting hand cannot have anything on it. As for the grip you can do whatever you like as long as it will not support your wrist by extension.
As David mentions, you can have something on the hand but not covering the wrist. So the rules specifically mention shooting gloves. There's no reason for example why you couldn't wear one of those trigger hand gloves some of the rifle shooters are fond of.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:So the rules specifically mention shooting gloves.
The pistol rules don't, but that doesn't mean that you can't wear them.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

maybe not 'shooting gloves', but...

2013: 1st printing - 8.4.3.3 50m Pistol
• Any caliber 5.6 mm (.22”) rimfire pistol chambered for Long
Rifle cartridges may be used; and
Hand covers for 50m Pistols are permitted, providing they do not cover the wrist.
joel

Post by joel »

Ok, so the problem I am having is that in my stance, the grip is against my wrist and when I fire, I get bruised. After about 20 shots, it gets fairly sore and by the time the match or practice is over, I have a big red spot and it is pretty tender. Maybe I can put some adhesive felt or rubber padding on the grip to raise my hand and/or protect my wrist.

Thanks for suggestions and clarifications,

Joel
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

joel wrote:....the grip is against my wrist and when I fire, I get bruised.
If you mean that the grip is touching beyond the hand then it is not legal under ISSF rules.
joel

Post by joel »

I'll try to take a picture when I get home. Perhaps my technique is poor :(

Thanks,

Joel
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

joel wrote:Ok, so the problem I am having is that in my stance, the grip is against my wrist and when I fire, I get bruised. After about 20 shots, it gets fairly sore and by the time the match or practice is over, I have a big red spot and it is pretty tender. Maybe I can put some adhesive felt or rubber padding on the grip to raise my hand and/or protect my wrist.

Thanks for suggestions and clarifications,

Joel
Sand about 2mm from the grip where it "hurts".
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

Spencer wrote:maybe not 'shooting gloves', but...

Hand covers for 50m Pistols are permitted, providing they do not cover the wrist.
I was under the impression that that rule referred not to gloves, but to a piece that covers the entire gun, like the one Ekimov used at the London World Cup event before the Olympics:

http://www.wms-photo.net/gallery/v/2012 ... 8.jpg.html
j-team

Post by j-team »

Freepistol wrote: Sand about 2mm from the grip where it "hurts".
This is the only solution. Sand/Dremel/Chisel, whatever it takes, you have to modify your grip to suit your hand.

And, that not only means a comfortable and "pointing" grip, but also one that complies with the rules.
joel

Post by joel »

Here are some pics.

Joel
Attachments
FP-1.jpg
FP-2.jpg
FP-3.jpg
rmca

Post by rmca »

Your grip is touching your wrist. That's illegal.
You should have a line that defines the end of hand and the beginning of your wrist. Your grip cannot pass that line.

As suggested above, the only way is cut, dremel, sand or chisel...

Hope this helps
rmca

Post by rmca »

SeanM wrote:
Spencer wrote:maybe not 'shooting gloves', but...

I was under the impression that that rule referred not to gloves, but to a piece that covers the entire gun, like the one Ekimov used at the London World Cup event before the Olympics:

http://www.wms-photo.net/gallery/v/2012 ... 8.jpg.html
The second part does refer to those hand covers and not gloves, however, if the glove didn't touch the wrist, and "the wrist remained visibly free when the pistol is held in the normal firing position" as the rules say, I believe you could use it... unless I've missed something.

Never the less I still think that a hand cover will be better than a glove for free pistol.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I don't see any special modification on your Steyr FP2 that warrants it illegal, especially the grip part. The grip is not the typical older one, but there is little difference between the old and the new. Simply put, it is legal.