Rolling trigger on a LP10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rmca

Rolling trigger on a LP10

Post by rmca »

Is it possible to set up a LP10 (mechanical) to a rolling trigger? How?

Thanks
scerir

Re: Rolling trigger on a LP10

Post by scerir »

rmca wrote: Is it possible to set up a LP10 (mechanical) to a rolling trigger? How?
One of the Lp10 I have, the 'gold edition' of (?) 2002, now has a rolling trigger, I only played with the first stage travel adjustment screw (turning anticlockwise) and the sear adjustment screw (turning anticlockwise, but not much). Look I'm inclined to think the 'gold edition' Lp10 has a trigger more similar to the Lp than Lp10.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Send it to Pilk and they will install it for you. Mine did not have that, and Buck installed it for me.
rmca

Post by rmca »

My LP10 is from the 2011 vintage, so it's trigger is the one below.
The only way I see possible is to reduce the first stage travel to zero and add more sear engagement.
But then I would end up with lots of creep in the trigger, and not a smooth release.
Or if I didn't add sear engagement, I would end up with a very direct trigger...
Am I thinking right?

From left to right, the screws are: Trigger stop, first stage weight, first stage travel, second stage weight, and sear engagement.

conradin, I would just like to experiment with the screws and not make any radical changes, since I've never shoot a rolling trigger. But, at least in theory, it sounds better for an unconscious shoot. And that's what I want to find out.
Attachments
Trigger LP10.JPG
scerir

Post by scerir »

rmca wrote: My LP10 is from the 2011 vintage, so it's trigger is the one below. The only way I see possible is to reduce the first stage travel to zero and add more sear engagement. But then I would end up with lots of creep in the trigger, and not a smooth release. Or if I didn't add sear engagement, I would end up with a very direct trigger. Am I thinking right?
The problem I see is "reduce the first stage travel to zero". In my case (I mean, with all the 3 LP10 I have) if I reduce the first stage travel (at least up to a certain point) I get a dry, crisp trigger. On the contrary if I increase the first stage travel I get a longer (sometimes also smooth) release. (The reason is unknown to me, but I think it depends on the point of impact of the trigger lever on the second lever, this point might change a bit). I think that a combination of first stage travel, fine tuning of sear engagement, weight of the second stage, would do the job. At least ... my 2002 LP10 "gold" has a rolling trigger, a very very smooth release.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I like the trigger a great deal better on my LP50 than on my LP 10. I also like the slightly shorter sight radius.
I am not sure there is much benefit in having a roll trigger set at 500 grams, but it sure seems to help with the heavier trigger most people use in Conventional pistol.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Isabel1130 wrote: ... I am not sure there is much benefit in having a roll trigger set at 500 grams, .....
Agreed. Sometimes I tried air pistols with semi-roll triggers, I mean first stage > 450 grams, second stage < 70 grams, uninterrupted trigger action (trigger pull) from first stage to second stage.

All that reminds me of Ragnar Skanaker who wrote in his book (with Antal) that a clean-break trigger was much better than a roll trigger. But his Morini 162E had not a clean-break trigger!